Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #127
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Clearly, you have not driven the L99. I drove a 5-speed manual 1983 Camaro from 1983 to 2003. Drove a 6-speed manual 2002 Z28 from 2002 to 2009 (yep, about a year overlap on those two cars). Then bought my L99.

I "drive" the L99 every day and have just as much fun as I ever did in my manual transmission cars. Here's the deal, as I see it. If you've never driven a manual before--that's the way to go if you get a Camaro. Shifting and clutching is a really fun "driving" experience for a couple of years.

But as others have said, once you become an experienced stick shift driver, everything about shifting becomes automatic. You stop looking at the tach (don't need to) and you often don't even need to use the clutch to shift gears. At that point, the clutch begins to feel like an extra step at the stop light to get moving--and is just a pain to use in heavy traffic (trust me, no fun at all).

So now that I have my L99, I can actually enjoy every minute of my driving experience...and if I want to be even more engaged, I can use the tap-shift!

Bottom line: everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this topic. This is mine. Read and heed, or toss it. The only way you'll discover how you really feel about it is to drive both for an extended period of time. And the only one whose opinion should really matter is your own.

So go out and drive and enjoy!
You fail. I have in fact driven the L99 and with a proper tune its golden. That is what I plan on buying.

Your dead on accurate regarding driving a stick and I would not want to drive one daily, not now, not with 43 year old knees that bear the affect of years of sports abuse. I use mine as a weekend car and its a blast to drive but I typically avoid most traffic and hit a lot of country roads.

That said the level of control and enguagement in the Auto vs the Manual cannot be compared, not in my experience. I think if a guy is really on the fence buy the stick drive it for a month or whatever GM's return is and if it doesn't work for them pick up the Auto.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #128
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
You fail. I have in fact driven the L99 and with a proper tune its golden. That is what I plan on buying.

Your dead on accurate regarding driving a stick and I would not want to drive one daily, not now, not with 43 year old knees that bear the affect of years of sports abuse. I use mine as a weekend car and its a blast to drive but I typically avoid most traffic and hit a lot of country roads.

That said the level of control and enguagement in the Auto vs the Manual cannot be compared, not in my experience. I think if a guy is really on the fence buy the stick drive it for a month or whatever GM's return is and if it doesn't work for them pick up the Auto.
Interesting...so you've driven the L99. I'm glad to hear that. I guess we can agree to disagree on the level of engagement involved in driving the L99. I don't know if you've spent any time with the tap shift, but it's a very different "manual" driving experience, requiring quite a bit of focus to do smoothly and well. Especially if you've been driving in "D" or "M" (sport mode with auto shifting) for awhile.

I find that I am more engaged in tap shift mode than I have been in any stick shift driving experience in over 25 years! I'm sure that, like driving a stick shift, driving the tap shift will become more automatic with time. I guess what I really like about having it is how many options it gives me to have the L99.

First, I can drive in "D." Then, I can choose "M," which raises the shift points for a more aggressive driving experience while still auto-shifting. Then I can choose "M" with tap shift and have a lot of fun that way. Finally, I can remote start. I didn't think this would be as cool a feature as I have found it to be...but it really is! I usually park a good ways away from my destination when at work. I really like that I can leave my building, start the car from nearly 200' away, and by the time I walk up to it, she's warmed up a bit and ready to go. I feel I'll be taking better care of the engine/transmission by not driving for a min or so after starting her up (especially in cold weather). Oh, and I also like that I can set the heated seats to start up with remote start if I want (haven't needed it yet, but it's another cool feature I wouldn't have otherwise).

So on balance, for me, the L99 is simply a greater personal value and a much more engaging "driver" experience. There just isn't as much that is special about up-shifting and down-shifting with a clutch anymore (don't get me wrong--I used to love it). But it got old fast in heavy traffic and replacing two clutches over the years was expensive. Now, twisty roads are just as much fun for me as they ever were--more, I'd say when tap-shifting. And everything else is more enjoyable.

Again, just my two cents...(oh...and let me know if I fail again -- LOL).

Enjoy those L99's ya'll. And don't hate me cuz' I can remote start

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #129
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Some people like the fun and feel of driving a stick. You will get used to driving it and you will get good at it. No doubt!

I have driven both stick and automatic. They each have their virtues. Personally, I like an automatic. I don't have my Camaro yet, but I think I will have loads of fun driving my L99 and I can play with the paddle shifters for more excitement if I need it.

It's all a personal choice, but if you think a stick will be fun, then get it. I am sure you will be very good at it in no time.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #130
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Interesting...so you've driven the L99Finally, I can remote start. I didn't think this would be as cool a feature as I have found it to be...but it really is! I usually park a good ways away from my destination when at work. I really like that I can leave my building, start the car from nearly 200' away, and by the time I walk up to it, she's warmed up a bit and ready to go. I feel I'll be taking better care of the engine/transmission by not driving for a min or so after starting her up (especially in cold weather). Oh, and I also like that I can set the heated seats to start up with remote start if I want (haven't needed it yet, but it's another cool feature I wouldn't have otherwise).

So on balance, for me, the L99 is simply a greater personal value and a much more engaging "driver" experience. There just isn't as much that is special about up-shifting and down-shifting with a clutch anymore (don't get me wrong--I used to love it). But it got old fast in heavy traffic and replacing two clutches over the years was expensive. Now, twisty roads are just as much fun for me as they ever were--more, I'd say when tap-shifting. And everything else is more enjoyable.

Again, just my two cents...(oh...and let me know if I fail again -- LOL).

Enjoy those L99's ya'll. And don't hate me cuz' I can remote start
Remote start is a cool feature I look forward to, especially in Florida. Nothing like coming out of work and sitting in a 130 degree car

Tapshift seems more like a gimmic to me but then again I didn't try it out as I wasn't in it that long:( Its an awesome car for sure.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:10 PM   #131
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
Wow, not one vote for the auto. I didn't like it either. So I LS3'd the motor and cammed it. BIG CAM. Cam job is not complete without a stall converter, at least 3600. RARELY do I get out of the slower than a manual. re are very few stick strokers that can launch the car properly, especially as the power levels go up. And as far as the next comment that will be made about drivetrain loss, the stall converter will have a lockup init that will basically make the drivetrain just as effective as the manual. Or for a few extra bucks, get a 4000 stall with a double lockup that will make your drivetrain loss less than a manual. Roll races are are a breeze. top end, more effective. In fact, the only time mu=y car is in "torque converter" mode is when I am comfortable driving through town in stop and go traffic. When I step on it, everything happens for me faster than a human can react. Both hands on the wheel to hold the torque down. 175 shot engages when those cars that actually have power are near me, only for a second though. What do you think John Force would do if you asked him if he wishes his car was a stick? Oh, you mean he has a stall converter that only makes one shift. I laugh all day in town with those guys slamming gears like a trackstar just to get from one light to the other.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:41 PM   #132
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Sounds like you need to get the auto.

Several years ago, I sold cars. I sold a brand new 350z to a kid much like you during a snow storm. He had never driven a stick before. He immdiately drove it from Dallas to Houston. With the snow and heavy traffic, the clutch made it about halfway. Brand new car and clutch was gone in less than 200 miles.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #133
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
^^^^Bullshit^^^^. 200 Miles?
Old 05-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #134
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Go to the dealer and ask them to take you out in a manual car. I'm sure if you are buying a car from them they would be glad to show you how to drive it. If you want manual, GET A MANUAL! aka Standard shift< called that because its standard equipment on most cars.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #135
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Don’t forget that automatics have about 800 more parts that can break and fail (not exactly but a LOT more to accomplish what the driver’s left leg and right arm does in a manual). That’s another reason I personally drive a manual......significantly reduced chance of difficult to diagnose failures. Both mechanical and now electronic failures with all the dct and computer involvement.
Manuals may also weigh less.
The fewer automatics and turbos in my garage the better.
Manuals keep it simple (plus fun)!
My .02
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #136
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
This thread was started in 2009 so hopefully the original poster has already decided long ago...
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #137
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Holy 10 year old thread resurrection. The debate continues...change the fluid and filter and your auto trans and drive it...a LONG time.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #138
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
This thread is 10 years old as mentioned...the v6 vs v8 and manual vs auto threads are timeless....here's the proof haha.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #139
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 6.2L SS View Post
Don’t forget that automatics have about 800 more parts that can break and fail (not exactly but a LOT more to accomplish what the driver’s left leg and right arm does in a manual). That’s another reason I personally drive a manual......significantly reduced chance of difficult to diagnose failures. Both mechanical and now electronic failures with all the dct and computer involvement.
Manuals may also weigh less.
The fewer automatics and turbos in my garage the better.
Manuals keep it simple (plus fun)!
My .02
There are autos in here stock that are 600+ whp. Imo breakage is not an issue. My stalled geared and tired l99 is a blast on the street. I've been driving manuals 34 years so when I comment its from both sides . Most commenting about the auto in the l99 haven't been in one that has an aggressive trans tune or bolt ons. Is a manual a blast to drive? Sure...but my car the way it is won't lose any fun factor points against a manual.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #140
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
This thread is 10 years old as mentioned...the v6 vs v8 and manual vs auto threads are timeless....here's the proof haha.
Haha too funny! Somebody revived it last night around midnight. I just saw it posted at the top a few times and jumped in....never even looked at the prior old dates.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote