Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Seviheavy

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Unhappy Getting ripped off? Dent in door

I have a dent in my lower left hand side door (right on the groove). Body shop insists that after dent removal, car door will need to get repainted. They swear that the paint will chip after dent. They are asking $650-$750 for everything.

Does door actually need repainting?
I don't mind if it does, I just don't want to waste money.

Another body shop said same thing just by the picture....
Attached Images

Seviheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
Hot2016Red

Drives: 2016 2SS
In my mind there is a reason PDR is called paintless dent removal. I have had so many dents popped out I can’t count (one example, my 2014 Grand Cherokee was peppered with acorns from a wind storm by my cottage). I hate dings. I would find someone who is really good at removing that ding. Removal is an art, IMHO, and I have seen good work versus poor work. Check around before a paint job. Unless the ding has a scratch don’t paint.
Hot2016Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Find a good PDR guy and see how it comes out. Those guys work wonders. I've seen them pop out worse.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Creases can be hard to repair with PDR:

https://www.impactdentrepair.com/3-t...emoved-by-pdr/

THE 3 TYPES OF DENTS YOU COMMONLY SEE

Car Dings – These types of dents are more common because they tend to be caused by smaller objects or pokes, and are usually easy to repair as long as no damage to the vehicles paint has occurred.

Round Dents – This type of dent can be caused from hailstones or a similarly round object (football, baseball, basketball, etc.) hitting the car and causing a dimple on the door, bumper, roof or hood.

Crease Type Dents – Crease dents usually bends and tears the car’s metal. When a vehicle is being produced, the car has its own metal memory formed; this is done by heating the metal and shaping it to the design required. When an automobile acquires a crease type dent, it is possible to lose the metal memory making it hard to repair back to original shape.

With Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) most non-collision dents, like the ding and round dents can be repaired.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I got a dent or ding that looks similar to the pic posted and I paid $120 from a local PDR mobile unit. I’m happy with it and you can’t tell it’s there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
Hot2016Red

Drives: 2016 2SS
Sounds about right to me. I’ve had all kinds of dents, dings, etc removed. The really good repair folks work magic in my estimation. I found out from a dealer in my area who they use for used cars. They have someone that comes out weekly or as needed to do a group of cars for dealers. You can get an idea who to use this way.
Hot2016Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I've actually had a crease (shopping cart we believe) removed with good success.

If the paint isn't cracked, PDR (note Paintless ) works great.

Your pic looks like a good candidate.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
They are only covering their ass. Just in case the paint does crack.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
51FIFFT

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY @51fifft
paintless dent removal did mine in the same spot, I wish i had before and after pictures because you cant even tell now. I was worried because it was right in that body line, never know today it was dented
Old 12-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
rjacobs

Drives: none
MOST body shops HATE PDR guys... except after hail storms and then the body shop takes 30-40% just for estimating and renting a PDR guy a bay to work in...

Besides that, they dont care for them much...

Get that dent PDR'd and be done with it.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Agree with everyone else, sounds like the shop is trying to rip you off. Get a PDR person whose reputable to do it.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
MOST body shops HATE PDR guys... except after hail storms and then the body shop takes 30-40% just for estimating and renting a PDR guy a bay to work in...

Besides that, they dont care for them much...

Get that dent PDR'd and be done with it.
the last PDR guy i used was showing me pictures of his truck. It was a pretty new dodge that was just destroyed by a hail storm. Bought it for dirt cheap and worked out all the dents. You couldn't even tell it was ever damaged.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #13
Streetsweepergto

Drives: CTSV
pdr would work wonders on that dent.
do your research for a skillful pdr technician in your area and have him inspect it first person.
if the pdr repairs to the panel cracks the paint, it will require paint work. I've had pdr guys purposely crack the paint on pdr work just so the body shop would get business. its a shame. but that nonsense is out there.
research and find your own guy, its not hard.

the body shop doesn't want people to know what wonders pdr guys can do, they will lose business.
Streetsweepergto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:31 AM   #14
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
PDR works on on some dents- as long as they can access it from the inside. Some dents can be "pulled" where they cannot access the inside due to a safety beam of other obstruction. I have seen some guys use adhesive and stick a part on that is part of a dent puller and they keep pulling and re-cementing it in place until the dent comes out.

If you have to re-paint the entire door, the price is about right- especially if your car color requires clear coat after painting. And they need to paint and clear coat more that the than the door in order to blend in the paint and make a perfect match.

Best thing to do has already been stated- is find a good PDR guy and see what they can do. For one dent like that expect about $100 to get it out.