Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Your Favorite Car Shampoo?

Besides microfiber towels, (I have way too many ) trying different car shampoo's is something I'm starting to do a little more of.

For me the main factors I'm looking for in a shampoo are

1) Cleaning ability while being safe on sealants or waxes.

2) Lubricity. I could state this as #1 as well. The more lubricity a shampoo has, the less chances of marring the paint while washing.

3) Clean rinsing. A soap/shampoo that leaves spots/streaks is a waste of time.

One's I've tried, geez I actually threw some away (OTC brands), so I'll say several of the Wally world/Auto store stuff. I've quit trying these as they fail at one or all 3 of the things I like in a soap.

Other's include Adams red and blue, Optimum Car wash, Chemical Guys Citrus (only for stripping LSP), CG V7, and Lusso Auto Bathe.

I recently ordered Duragloss 901 and Ultima Paint Guard Car Wash, as I've read lots of great reviews from professional detailers on both.

So which one do I like the best so far? The Lusso is fantastic, only problem is after shipping it's 21 dollars for a 8oz bottle. It's very concentrated, only need 1oz in bucket and 1 in foam gun. But at $5.25 per wash, it's expensive.

I'd have to say so far the best bang for the buck is the Optimum. $25 a gallon and free shipping on Amazon. Excellent results for all 3 of the things I like in a soap.

The Adams costs a little more $40/gallon plus shipping, but is also a very good shampoo, and I'd rate it the best for clean rinsing. As long as your paint is cool, it doesn't matter if it dries, it rinses 100% clean every time.

Some people may also add suds and smell of soap/shampoo. For me these are not as important. A soap can have lots of suds, but very little lubricity, and leave spots or streaks when rinsed.

A nice smell does make washing more enjoyable, but strong smelling shampoo's also draw bugs to your car, and I don't like wiping them into my paint while drying!

So what's your favorite soap/shampoo, and why? Which have you compared it against?

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
I've been using Meguiars Gold Class shampoo and works great for me. I know it's not the high end stuff but it's priced decent and local and has great lubrication.

I also liked the zaino z7 wash but again price with shipping and size.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
I love Adam's but when it runs out I'm going to try Ammo Foam Paint Cleanser.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:47 AM   #4
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I have been using Optimum but I just ordered P21S Body Work Shampoo since I like their wax so much thought I'd give it a try
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #5
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Megs Hyper wash, and/or either of the poor boys, depending on if you want wax in it or not. love all three, better than any over the counter stuff IMO. love the lucidity of the Hyper though!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
Megs Hyper wash, with ONR add to kick up Lubricity.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
Just ordered some Optimum from the Amazon be here on the 3rd! Decent priced now I need some S100 Wax by P21S
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
lechess

Drives: LS3
Adams car shampoo works great. But ive been using mothers california gold carnauba wash & wax. It's at a good price and can find it anywhere. I wash my car once a week so it never really gets to bad.
lechess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Have you tried our new Car Shampoo formula?
Thick, luxurious suds, and a pH neutral formula make Adam’s Car Shampoo the ultimate way to wash your car. The concentrated formula produces more suds with less product and always rinses clean for a spot free finish that won’t scratch or leave water spots.
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...mpoo-16oz.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
I have been using Optimum but I just ordered P21S Body Work Shampoo since I like their wax so much thought I'd give it a try
Let us know how you like it after using it compared to Optimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
I love Adam's but when it runs out I'm going to try Ammo Foam Paint Cleanser.
I'm sure you will like it. I wanted to try it as well, but if I got it, I want the whole Ammo Paint regimen. $125 is a little steep for my budget! Let us know your thoughts after you use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
Megs Hyper wash, and/or either of the poor boys, depending on if you want wax in it or not. love all three, better than any over the counter stuff IMO. love the lucidity of the Hyper though!
The Poorboys, (non-wax version) is one I want to try too.

The Megs Hyper struck me as hyped with their amazing 400-1 dilution ratio recommendation. So if I use 4 gallons of water in my bucket that basically comes to 1.5 oz of product. Just seemed they could have made it simple by saying just add 1.5 oz to your bucket.

Not saying it's no good, I haven't used it so I don't know. I like high lubricity though, I'm sure I'll try it at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Megs Hyper wash, with ONR add to kick up Lubricity.
That should be one slippery soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrop01 View Post
Just ordered some Optimum from the Amazon be here on the 3rd! Decent priced now I need some S100 Wax by P21S
You'll like the Optimum better than the Megs, I'm sure. It has more lubricity and cleaning power. As a nice extra it makes suds that last a long time, and has a nice blueberry scent as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechess View Post
Adams car shampoo works great. But ive been using mothers california gold carnauba wash & wax. It's at a good price and can find it anywhere. I wash my car once a week so it never really gets to bad.
I haven't tried that one. I found all OTC stuff (that I tried) to be lower on lubricity, cleaning power, and clean rinsing ability. But hey, if it's working for you and your saving money as well, that's never a bad thing!

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 10-01-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #11
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Have you tried our new Car Shampoo formula?
Thick, luxurious suds, and a pH neutral formula make Adam’s Car Shampoo the ultimate way to wash your car. The concentrated formula produces more suds with less product and always rinses clean for a spot free finish that won’t scratch or leave water spots.
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...mpoo-16oz.html
Well I almost just bought a bottle to try it out but shipping was just as much as the bottle was.
I will wait till I get a big order and qualify for free shipping but I will try it thanks!
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
I am partial to Chemical Guys "Mr. Pink", creates long lasting suds, lubricity seems good, and a great price for the gallons.

ALL car washes today should be ph balanced, and I believe that none of them actually "clean", the principal I have heard is that they float the dirt up off the surface to be rinsed away.

Maybe i heard wrong.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #13
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
I am partial to Chemical Guys "Mr. Pink", creates long lasting suds, lubricity seems good, and a great price for the gallons.

ALL car washes today should be ph balanced, and I believe that none of them actually "clean", the principal I have heard is that they float the dirt up off the surface to be rinsed away.

Maybe i heard wrong.

CG Citrus wash & gloss is not ph balanced. I use it to strip wash before claying. I actually don't use clay, unless it's soft paint, use speedy prep towel instead.

A 2 bucket wash is designed to clean the paint of dirt, dust, road film, also fresh bird droppings and fresh bug splatter. Some of it will float off the surface because it's bond is not as strong to the paint. The rest has to be wiped off with your wash media (mitt, sponge, pad).

The cleaning power of a soap is it's ability to loosen all of these so they can be removed with minimal pressure. Soaps vary in this regard. Some by a lot. I like soaps that remove road film and oils by just gliding my mitt across the surface, while being safe on my wax/sealant(ph balanced).

So far, Lusso , Optimum, and Adams (blue), all perform well.

If your car is a garage queen, this may not be as big a factor as it is for a daily driver.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The Megs Hyper struck me as hyped with their amazing 400-1 dilution ratio recommendation. So if I use 4 gallons of water in my bucket that basically comes to 1.5 oz of product. Just seemed they could have made it simple by saying just add 1.5 oz to your bucket.

Not saying it's no good, I haven't used it so I don't know. I like high lubricity though, I'm sure I'll try it at some point.
dude if you lived close by I would tell you come on over and pump enough of it in to a spare bottle for you to try it three or four washes

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote