Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
cmoz28

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS LS3
Shifter Change

I would really like to change my 2011 stock shifter to the upgraded hurst one. Anyone know if I need anything else other than the new shifter? Im pretty mechanicly inclined, just never changed a shifter before. Also anyone know where I can get a hurst shifter? I looked on eBay but no luck.
cmoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Bcarr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
You won't have a problem. I would order from Apex Speed. Great service and pricing. He is a forum sponsor as well. Would take an hour to install.
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
There is a DIY video here somewhere. Pretty straight forward install.

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
MGW shifter is 10X better than a Hurst.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
MGW shifter is 10X better than a Hurst.
Ok. Why?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
The bushing issue. I still have not received a call back from Hurst about upgraded bushings. I am about to bite the bullet and take my hurst off and put on either barton or MGW.

To the OP: There are videos on you tube on how to do the install. Not much to it really.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Rick@MidwayPerformance

Drives: 2010 & 2012 Camaro SS
I have the Hurst in stock with the stock bushing and the H.D. bushing as well. The MGW feels great but moves the shifters position back about an inch and I just cant seem to get comfortable with it. It feels like you missed a shift even though you dont.
The issue with the Hurst has been that it was designed to be smooth and didnt take into account how the pivot bushing would wear if you ripped thru the gears aggressively. Mine was real sloppy after a year and I installed the bronze ones available here but they transmitted a lot of vibration noise. Hurst released the H.D. replacements late last year and I am using those for now and they are real nice feeling. Hurst is also working on a race duty replacement bushing for those that really manhandle the shifter.
I installed a Hurst in both my '10 SS and my wifes '12 SS, She's had hers in for a year and a half and its still tight, I have the H.D. bushings for hers but she wont let me install them since she says its perfect, and its still nice and tight.
It comes down as to how hard you shift as to what bushings to run.
Rick@MidwayPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
At least you were able to get ahold of hurst to get the better bushings. I can't even get them to answer my messages. Everytime I call the guy who answers the phone doesn't say anything but ok then I hear a click and get some other guys voicemail. Really starting to urk me!
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote