Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Marketplace > Members Classifieds > Autos For Sale / Wanted

Phastek Performance

Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #29
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I'm sorry for your loss but an off track excursion from driver error which results in fire damage is not a warranty event that would be or should be covered by the manufacturer, thats not a failure of any sort of the car.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #30
cooden

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS & '15 Durango R/T
On a positive note, looks like Xpel PPF helps repel flames as well as rock chips!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #31
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I'm sorry for your loss but an off track excursion from driver error which results in fire damage is not a warranty event that would be or should be covered by the manufacturer, thats not a failure of any sort of the car.
I 100% agree, but only if the driver error was the entire cause. If the car had a defect that made it more susceptible to fire, then that would change things.

For example, if a fuel line connection wasn't fully fastened at the factory, the fuel line separates after simply running off of the track, and then the car catches fire... who's fault is it? I'd argue if the connection was fastened properly the fire would have never happened.

Just playing devil's advocate... I guess my point is, I don't think we have enough information to know for sure that it wasn't a failure of the car.

Last edited by travislambert; 12-16-2017 at 11:25 AM.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #32
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I 100% agree, but only if the driver error was the entire cause. If the car had a defect that made it more susceptible to fire, then that would change things.

For example, if a fuel line connection wasn't fully fastened at the factory, the fuel line separates after simply running off of the track, and then the car catches fire... who's fault is it? I'd argue if the connection was fastened properly the fire would have never happened.

Just playing devil's advocate... I guess my point is, I don't think we have enough information to know for sure that it wasn't a failure of the car.

True, but this exact thing happened to one of my coworkers years ago. This was a brand new BMW-owned X5 at a press event. Car went off the track into some hay bales and burned to the ground. He didn’t get invited back next time. Shocker, right?

With how low the exhaust system on a ZL1 is to the ground, I see this being very likely.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #33
CorySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
I'll trade you a 70 Chevelle,
CorySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #34
ccw

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorySS View Post
I'll trade you a 70 Chevelle,
Cash or bitcoin only please.
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #35
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
I'm still of the opinion that a car designed for the track shouldn't go up in flames at the track, but hey, shit happens and that's why there's track insurance. I get that.
Need to determine what caused the fire first.....

Did the excursion cause something from the ground to kick up into a fuel line, cutting it, fuel hitting something hot, and ignited? If that's the case, that's just poor luck. No way a warranty will cover that.

Remember warranties cover defective parts. Have to prove that for GM to cover it.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #36
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
If I run my car off the road into a ditch and it catches fire do you think GM will cut me a check for the car? Why would they do it at a track event then?

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7

Last edited by Ian SS; 12-16-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #37
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Can you post pics to the site, or PM me links.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #38
ccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Can you post pics to the site, or PM me links.
Got your PM and just sent you an email.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #39
ccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SS View Post
If I run my car off the road into a ditch and it catches fire do you think GM will cut me a check for the car? Why would they do it at a track even then?
Yes, I get that. That's not what happened here, but I'd like to get the focus of this thread on getting this vehicle into a new home. For someone that wants a track car project, this could be a good deal. I already have a track car, and don't need another project at this time.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #40
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
I have a 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE with salvage title for sale.

Long story short, the car caught fire at the track, and GM has denied coverage for repairs under the track warranty. I gave GM written assurances out of courtesy that I wouldn’t post anything while I gave them the opportunity to resolve this matter. That deal is off the table as GM maintains the position that “the vehicle performed as expected.” I’m considering all options including selling the vehicle with salvage title to cut my loses.

The purpose of this thread is to gauge interest for anyone who might want to buy the vehicle, so please keep that in mind so that this thread doesn’t derail.

Vehicle specs:
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Exterior: White
Options: PDR and Nav.
Mileage: 1,600
Extras: xpel PPF on entire car
Maintenance: two oil changes by dealer
Tires: New Hoosier R7

Bad news:
During the car’s first track event, the car slid off the track and caught fire. There is extensive fire damage inside the vehicle. Best we can determine, the fire started under the vehicle which quickly went into the passenger compartment. The exterior also has some damage on the passenger door.

Good news:
Engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc are all in perfect condition.

Potential Solutions:
Interior can be removed and replaced for someone looking to build a track car or similar setup. For someone looking for a small project to save money to get a high performing vehicle like this, it might be an attractive option too.

The car is located in San Diego for anyone interested in seeing it. Any serious offers will be entertained. Asking $38k OBO.

Fire Damage:

Most of damage was from fire under passenger seat:

Moved to 'Members Classifieds: Autos For Sale/Wanted'
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #41
Boosted_Camaro

Drives: Camaro
Have any pics? Links are not working
Boosted_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #42
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry76 View Post
Oil line could have been ripped off or it could have just came to rest over something flammable, grass, tires used for barriers, etc.
I wouldn't have expected GM to cover anything when the root cause is "sliding off the track"
root cause, heavy collision damage and fire. If you just slid off the track with no damage, there would be no loss. If you just slid off the street and hit something, its a collision loss not Chevrolet's responsibility. If you were racing the car on a track and you had a suspension or driveline failure , maybe then chevy would have a warrantee claim unless you hit something to cause the failure.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote