Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #15
WYKDZL1

Drives: Ashen gray zl1camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I've gone WOT and I've banged gears and I've driven well built ZL1s and ZR1s and Z06s and and and etc. I know what I have and what there is out there and I've owned my share.

WYKDZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #16
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I second the notion that its a personal choice for the mileage put on a car; It shouldn't be viewed negatively or over-positively. Either the person chooses not to drive the car excessively or his/her's driving condition forbids driving their ZL1 on a daily basis.

As I've seen it, ZL1s tend to be relatively low mileage Camaros as opposed to the other versions (there are some exceptions). Oddly enough, our counterpart at Cadillac tends to be well driven. You may find quite a few high mileage CTS-Vs in the Cadillac camp.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I totally agree. I had a couple of garage queens, and now this is my second "enjoy it" car. Having done both, I get more enjoyment when I drive them. I know people who get more enjoyment by keeping them pristine, too. So yes, completely a personal thing.

Interesting point about the V's, too. I came from a V to the ZL1. It had about 98k on the clock when I sold it.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #18
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Over a 143k miles here and you can have my zl1 when you pry it out of my cold dead hands...

but you guys keep your cars low mileage and as mint as possible... I'm going to need parts...
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Best of both worlds, never seen rain, or car wash, or left outside overnight, has always been garaged kept and covered, stored six months a year. But when I drive it's either on it's way to the track or on the street so far ahead of the victim who chose to tempt me that they were wishing they had one. Maybe one day I will try the wipers if I can find the button. Life's short, what ever makes you happy..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #20
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Over a 143k miles here and you can have my zl1 when you pry it out of my cold dead hands...

but you guys keep your cars low mileage and as mint as possible... I'm going to need parts...
Very nice!!

With your experience from the miles you have put on the car.... any recommendations on what to look out for at certain mileage points?

I haven't heard of too many issues with the LSA, but most guys have minimal miles on their vehicles to really say.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #21
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRZL113 View Post
Very nice!!

With your experience from the miles you have put on the car.... any recommendations on what to look out for at certain mileage points?

I haven't heard of too many issues with the LSA, but most guys have minimal miles on their vehicles to really say.
Well let see, i'm on my second engine due to the cam delaminating, on my 3rd or 4th supercharger, I can never remember how many I've had at this point, replaced front and back suspension, and I just replaced both my heads because one of the valve seats came loose..
hmm, what else? Also had to replace the gas pedal due to a bad sensor, and both fuel level sensors. Think that's pretty much it...

Not that its helped me with this car, but I've had a lot of high mileage cars and as long as you change your oils regularly, you'll be fine. A couple things I would probably recommend is, don't commute the car. It definitely a daily driver, but stop and go traffic is brutal. I believe the valve seat coming loose is due to the constant cooling and heating plus the aggressive nature of driving in traffic with changing lanes and aggressive acceleration. Keeping in mind that my commute with traffic is 2-3 hours each way for something that would be 45 minutes without traffic. So its a lot of stop and go, followed by getting up to speed. If your rush hour is like an extra 15 minutes, then it's probably fine.
Also, I've always driven in sport or PTM 4 for daily stuff, but I've recently starting PTM 2 for traffic and putting around to reduce the stress. I'm hoping that will increase the life of the suspension, but we'll see.

But its worth noting, that with all the problems, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I test drove the new Camaro, and while I'm sure its faster, I found my head hitting the ceiling and the radio angle was just wrong. So I think my zl1 is still one of the best cars there is for me. Its not like my car is a slouch.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #22
VRZL113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Well let see, i'm on my second engine due to the cam delaminating, on my 3rd or 4th supercharger, I can never remember how many I've had at this point, replaced front and back suspension, and I just replaced both my heads because one of the valve seats came loose..
hmm, what else? Also had to replace the gas pedal due to a bad sensor, and both fuel level sensors. Think that's pretty much it...

Not that its helped me with this car, but I've had a lot of high mileage cars and as long as you change your oils regularly, you'll be fine. A couple things I would probably recommend is, don't commute the car. It definitely a daily driver, but stop and go traffic is brutal. I believe the valve seat coming loose is due to the constant cooling and heating plus the aggressive nature of driving in traffic with changing lanes and aggressive acceleration. Keeping in mind that my commute with traffic is 2-3 hours each way for something that would be 45 minutes without traffic. So its a lot of stop and go, followed by getting up to speed. If your rush hour is like an extra 15 minutes, then it's probably fine.
Also, I've always driven in sport or PTM 4 for daily stuff, but I've recently starting PTM 2 for traffic and putting around to reduce the stress. I'm hoping that will increase the life of the suspension, but we'll see.

But its worth noting, that with all the problems, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I test drove the new Camaro, and while I'm sure its faster, I found my head hitting the ceiling and the radio angle was just wrong. So I think my zl1 is still one of the best cars there is for me. Its not like my car is a slouch.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, and your experience.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
Old 12-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #23
lbls1

Well Vroom, you are a testament to a dedicated and die-hard ZL1 owner. You didn't ditch the car at the first sign of a twitch. You stuck it out; My hat's to you.

Well I'm not at 143,000 miles, but its fitting that today is my Ta'Ta's 4th Birthday (3,000 miles approx.). Not meaning to crash the thread, but I felt that its a good time to say happy birthday to my baby!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #24
VRZL113

Happy Birthday to that beautiful beast!!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #25
lbls1

^Thanks!!!

Old 12-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #26
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
How much you drive a car is completely personal. Personally I view it damn near the opposite...I owe it to the car to keep it in mint condition with no issues and regular care, never beaten on, hell I've never launched this car or no lift shifted it, or tracked it etc. Not a daily driven 20,000+ mile car with nicks, scrapes, scrubby interior, and worn parts. Not for me. I'd rather have a mint car. Plus, I have around 7 different cars to choose from on a weekend, sometimes I just grab the keys for something else. Plus, I live in a state where your car window (In my book) is about 3 months. That's ~12 weekends. Toss a few immediately for house work, holidays, and whatever else. My entire family has cars, from Camaros and Corvettes to exotics. We take care of them and they're not driven 10,000 miles a year...

How about I say it the opposite way...If you drive this car more than 5,000 miles a year, just sell it, you don't deserve to have it.

Completely bogus right?
I will never understand why some people get so angry at people who do not put many miles on their ZL1, it baffles me..I don't even tell anyone how many miles my car has on it, since the thread below.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512549
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote