Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I've plugged many tires in my life using worms... high performance motorcycle tires even. Do them right, and no worries!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #16
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Number of times I have repaired a tire with a plug - at least a dozen.

Number of miles driven on said plugged tires - many tens of thousands.

Number of plug failures - zero.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
You want a patch not a plug BTW....also
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Combo Patch Plug installed from inside the tire by Tech with good credentials that does proper prep work and install
... VERY important if you go high-speed on occasion and helps maintain speed rating of tire ;-)
Tire manufacturers recommend this method on high performance tires. Agree with christianchevell to not use just a plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Runs Deep View Post
I fired a lube tech I caught plugging a tire on a GC SRT8. He had plugs hidden in his toolbox. Just laziness. Plugs are ok to get you off the side of the road. No high speed driving. I've only seen plug patches fail from improper prep. As for scratching rims, any manager or foreman would be foolish to let a rookie mount tires on high dollar rims. When they come in, either I assign it to an experienced tech, or do it myself. Low Profile tires can be tricky without experience. If you see a metal duck head on the tire machine.....run.
Index / mark the tire to the valve stem so when it is removed from the wheel it can be reinstalled without balancing, but ABSOLUTELY get it ddone right with a patch plug.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Number of times I have repaired a tire with a plug - at least a dozen.

Number of miles driven on said plugged tires - many tens of thousands.

Number of plug failures - zero.
I have the same experience with plugs.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #19
Michaels_45

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro 2LT RS
You want to go to a dealer and get a plug patch put in. They know what they are doing and how to balance the tire. I've gotten a flat tire twice in two different areas and the plug patches work great. They are just as strong as the tire itself. And do not be afraid to go to a dealer. They are not trying to screw you over as plenty of people think. They know what they are doing and want to help you. And getting a plug patch put in is not expensive.
Michaels_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
It was patch plugged. Tape didn't matter. They still scuffed up the wheel. Didn't say anything. I took before and after picture. Got a refund but now gotta wait until Monday to get it repaired by outside company... Even gave me the "we have a new guy" excuse.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #21
Hetfield03

I thank everyone for their advice. I learned a lot, and even taking preventative measures, someone can still screw up.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #22
Hetfield03

See pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #23
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Plugs are good for my tractor tires at work.....anything else only a temp fix.....a good disqualifier for the drags or high speed operation of any vehicle unless it patched....And I work in the motorpool at my state pen sort of run it on the side amongst every other thing and Les Schwab a west coast tire store would never damage a rim like that or they would fix it or throw you a free tire..... not Professional and taking care is a real deal when you sell expensive wheels also not just tires... The only scuffing done should be to areas of adhesion inside the tire...LOL good luck!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #24
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
It was patch plugged. Tape didn't matter. They still scuffed up the wheel. Didn't say anything. I took before and after picture. Got a refund but now gotta wait until Monday to get it repaired by outside company... Even gave me the "we have a new guy" excuse.
Ouch...im sorry to here that and I hope they fix their f***up.
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #25
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
That should be able to get fixed with a patch. I've had many a nail-screw in tires like that picture, that I was able to patch with a good tire guy. Many mediocre places will tell you to plug a hole when a patch would be a better fix.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #26
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Did the rim scuffs they did at the tire shop only affect the surface of the wheel's clear coat or
did it go through to the metal taking off the clear coat?
Shallow surface scuffs to the wheel clear coat can often be buffed out.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #27
Hetfield03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Did the rim scuffs they did at the tire shop only affect the surface of the wheel's clear coat or
did it go through to the metal taking off the clear coat?
Shallow surface scuffs to the wheel clear coat can often be buffed out.
No, they managed to damage the metal itself. You can feel it and its rough to touch.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #28
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
See pics.
Smoking the herb, earning near minimum wage and a don't give a $hit attitude equals a bad experience for the customer who cares about their car.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote