Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #15
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post

I didn't notice this until after I returned and put my wheels away in the garage. Any suggestions other than drilling and installing screws?

--Cal
Short of changing to Weld Beadlocks, maybe try another 1-2 psi
Old 03-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
For those saying it's not from the tires this is not ground breaking news. It is well known the drop from a 28" to a 26" inch tire nets 2 10ths. There are members here that have done this already and one guy at the same track on the same day to further validate it. Congrats to the OP
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
For those saying it's not from the tires this is not ground breaking news. It is well known the drop from a 28" to a 26" inch tire nets 2 10ths. There are members here that have done this already and one guy at the same track on the same day to further validate it. Congrats to the OP
Thanks for chiming in JR. I hope to get 3 to 5 10ths if I can get another 1 or 2 cool track days! That is if I can keep the tires from spinning on the rims.
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #18
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Short of changing to Weld Beadlocks, maybe try another 1-2 psi
That might help but I might be sacrificing traction. I can put up with a little movement so long as it doesn't break the bead. I may add a pound or two to get that slight wheel spin I need on the launch to avoid the bog anyway, though. We'll see how it plays out next time. I'll mark the wheels again and check them after each pass next time. Depending on how it runs and how much movement I see, I may adjust the air pressure.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Thanks for chiming in JR. I hope to get 3 to 5 10ths if I can get another 1 or 2 cool track days! That is if I can keep the tires from spinning on the rims.
Here is the biggest negative to the tires turning on the rim: the wheel balance gets thrown off and may need a rebalance. Thats it believe it or not its not gonna effect your 60' much if any at all
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #20
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Here is the biggest negative to the tires turning on the rim: the wheel balance gets thrown off and may need a rebalance. Thats it believe it or not its not gonna effect your 60' much if any at all
I'm not gonna worry about that too much. I'd basically have to balance after every track day if they keep moving. I only use these wheels/tires at the drag strip anyway. So far it looks like they're wearing pretty evenly, judging by the few tread-depth holes and slots molded into these slicks.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #21
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I see TRZ171 has an 11.1 stock M6 ET listed. But when I looked at the posts he has an A10 now but used to have an M6. So your stock ET is still safe. Have you seen the post by Chevy about the exact right speed to release the clutch to get the best 60' ?

I am thinking about a ZL1 but this launching thing is bothering me a bit if the ZL1 will not be any quicker than my bolton SS. But still it calls to me.

Also I noticed the tire height. So your rears are over 1" shorter than the fronts I think. No Stabilitrac complaints? And yes anything to get shorter rear ration will help the over geared CA6 V8 M5es. That has to help.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #22
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I see TRZ171 has an 11.1 stock M6 ET listed. But when I looked at the posts he has an A10 now but used to have an M6. So your stock ET is still safe.
Yeah, mlee fixed that on the spreadsheet but hasn't updated the screen shot yet. My previous bolt-on (DRs) time is shown as a A10 but I've PM'd mlee about it. This update should show up as M6.

Quote:
Have you seen the post by Chevy about the exact right speed to release the clutch to get the best 60' ?
No I haven't. How can there be an exact right speed? Too many variables to consider at any given point in time.

Quote:
I am thinking about a ZL1 but this launching thing is bothering me a bit if the ZL1 will not be any quicker than my bolton SS. But still it calls to me.
She is a sexy beast for sure. The potential is there for a low-mid 10-sec car without power adders but you'll have to void the warranty to bring it out.

Quote:
Also I noticed the tire height. So your rears are over 1" shorter than the fronts I think. No Stabilitrac complaints? And yes anything to get shorter rear ration will help the over geared CA6 V8 M5es. That has to help.
These Hoosiers are 9/10" shorter than my stock fronts. No complaints of any kind from any automated systems.

Yup, the effective gear ratio has me at the top of 4th gear when I cross the 1/4 mile gate. With stock Goodyears I'm only mid-4th by that point. I'm pretty sure I'd be doing a lot more spinning on the launch if I went with a much narrower tread, though. The meat on the 12" wide slicks helps a lot - too much actually. I'm still seeing it bog down if it hooks right away. Next trip I'll be trying for moderate wheel slip at launch and no wheel slip on the upshifts. If I can do that on a cool day with no wind and no mistakes, I'll be at 1.7 60' and maybe 11.2 ET.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #23
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Skinnies! Those fronts are heavy. A tenth there maybe?

Al's answer to you. Your efforts have been noticed by Chevy.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520373

"We understand that a particular launch may result in a “bogging” condition, but much of that can be eliminated by practicing different styles of clutch ‘dumping’."

The funny part is "particular launch", 99 out of 100?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #24
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Skinnies! Those fronts are heavy. A tenth there maybe?
Yeah, but is it worth it to buy a whole new set of wheels & tires for one tenth? After all, I'm not bracket racing for trophies.

Quote:
Al's answer to you. Your efforts have been noticed by Chevy.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520373

"We understand that a particular launch may result in a “bogging” condition, but much of that can be eliminated by practicing different styles of clutch ‘dumping’."

The funny part is "particular launch", 99 out of 100?
Haha! I doubt Al even knows I exist. If he's watched some of my earlier track videos he might take exception to me calling his pride and joy a "Fu(|<ing Dog!" out of anger after a nose dive launch.

He couldn't very well say "We understand that most launches result in bogging..." could he?
Old 05-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #25
Kstallard34

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Awesome information. Anyone running this size on a SS-1LE without clearance issues?
Kstallard34 is offline   Reply With Quote