Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #127
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS F1X 427 LSNext
the general public can buy malibus, cruzes, sonics, etc if they want a 4 cylinder...dont call it a muscle car then...a muscle car has muscle not teenie tiny engines that have help with turbos
CamaroGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #128
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
"Will"? hmmm....Mr. Reuss has a very strong opinion on what should and shouldn't wear the hallowed "SS" badge...would a V6 Camaro meet is expectations, I wonder?

I don't think he was comparing the two. He was expressing a desire to see the Camaro be offered in V8 only, and I brought up Corvette; saying it already did that.

Don't under-estimate the Camaro's "halo-factor", though...A couple of my local dealers seem to be under the impression that more people are coming in to look at the ZL1 just for eye candy than the Corvette, recently...
I was speaking about the entire market target for each car. The Camaro is marketed to appeal to a wider range of people than the Corvette. Yes the ZL1 is the Halo car in the lineup of Camaros, but you can also say the ZR1 is the halo car of the Corvette lineup.
I look at it this way the V6 Camaro was built to appeal to those that bought the last generation Monte Carlo.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #129
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
The way the V-6 guys get grief around here, I can olnly imagine what the 4-cyl guys would have to endure.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #130
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
These turbo fours get impressive mileage ratings from the EPA (which I guess is all any of the manufactures care about anymore), but in the real world, provide very little benefit...and if you drive one hard and keep them spooled, they can become even thirstier than the NA V6 engines they replace, while needing 40 cent a gallon higher premium to boot.
Premium is only recommended in the current T4 they use. Point valid and taken, but they won't disintegrate if you use 89.

Quote:
Times are not changing....it is more of a repeating loop. We are living the late 60s over again right now, with the 70s-esque era of 4-banger MPG trimmed "muscle" cars right in front of us. And nothing says muscle like that four-cylinder buzzzzz.
I disagree...because of a very big difference between then and now. Then - performance was sacrificed in a big way. It didn't matter how much money you had, you just simply couldn't get it.

Today, you can...and even the "mpg trimmed muscle cars" will not sacrifice a dynamic driving experience in order to help the fleet average. That's worth recognizing...because it says something about learning from the past.

I don't like CAFE...but since it is what it is...I'm impressed with the direction they're taking. It could be a LOT worse.

Quote:
Question is, will the V8 be available on the SS, or become limited to the high price, low volume ZL1. And what about those who want a V6?
I think the V8 will get more expensive. Look at the what they've put into the new LT1...it almost has to....but then, they said that about this generation's SS... As far as the V6...my understanding is that it'll still be available as another trim level. This is all of this, of course, hypothetical.

Quote:
And lets compare the ATS vs. Camaro. The V6 Camaro has 50 more horsepower, and despite being over 300 pounds heavier and less aerodynamic, is about as efficient. 3.6>2.0T.
I was advocating to compare the ATS to what a 6thgen Camaro could be.

But in your scenario, you forget to take a couple of key things into consideration...the ATS turbo is designed to be a performance car. It's a couple of ticks faster to 60 and in the quarter. But it offers enormous benefits in handling thanks to lower mass...The 3.6L Camaro was tuned for mpg in LS trim, plain and simple...super tall rear axle gear, and all-season tires.

2-3mpg difference might not seem ground breaking, but they fight over fractions of a mpg when they build cars....and when the fleet average is calculated, this difference is enormous.

I guess all I mean to say is they're not thinking about this for no reason...but at the same time - it won't be something that'll embarrass the car's reputation.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #131
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
Bonanza7;5876150]The Solstice 2.0 turbo was a blast to drive. I got the NA version since I did not trust the turbo for longevity. I am a flight instructor, and fly far better turbos in the planes. They are not reliable. After talking to some owners who have had them for awhile, seems the 2.0 is pretty good. If they get rid of the fat, it might be a good alternative.
The hundreds of millions of miles driven by the diesel community (2 million of them attributed by my trucks) would beg to differ. Most turbo reliability issues occur when incompetent quack jobs install ridiculously shiny hair dryers which in turn transforms the turbo or block into an A.E.D. (Accidental Explosive Device)[/QUOTE]

You may be right, but I have had engine failures in turbo planes,caused by turbo malfunctions. Maintenance costs soar . Never had a turbo car, but have seen so many problems in other car turbos, (not the Solstices), that I would still be leery without a GOOD warranty.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #132
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Quote:
The "whole MPG thing" CAN'T stop. The current market demands fuel efficiency in addition to performance. Plus the ever present problem that is CAFE standards.
I understand they cant stop...I just dont agree with it is all...each company should be allowed to have sports cars that dont follow it but I know that wont happen...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #133
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGirl5 View Post
the general public can buy malibus, cruzes, sonics, etc if they want a 4 cylinder...dont call it a muscle car then...a muscle car has muscle not teenie tiny engines that have help with turbos

The current 2.0T is knocking on 300 HP's door. Couple that with a flat torque curve over a wide band of engine power and a lightweight platform. I fail to see how that doesn't constitute "muscle."
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #134
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

The current 2.0T is knocking on 300 HP's door. Couple that with a flat torque curve over a wide band of engine power and a lightweight platform. I fail to see how that doesn't constitute "muscle."
thats fine, just dont put it in the camaro! and how does that sound coming out the exhaust? I guarantee it wont sound like "muscle"
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #135
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
thats fine, just dont put it in the camaro! and how does that sound coming out the exhaust? I guarantee it wont sound like "muscle"
The head editor at GMInsideNews just replaced his 2009.5 G8 GT with an ATS 2.0T and has stated the exhaust note of the 2.0T is actually louder and better than the 6.0L V8's. FWIW.

As for not putting it in the Camaro, too bad. Chances of it happening are way better than not.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #136
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Does it have to? Does the current V6?

There are ways to properly tune a 4-bangers exhaust so it doesn't sound like a fart-can...They can give it a little growl without being "bee-hive-ish"....sadly stupid movies like Fast/Furious have anchored that god-awful sound to those abominations called cars they feature on screen, and they've all got 4-cylinders...In real life, there are professionals that don't do that.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #137
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
A v6 doesn't sound like muscle either, but its been done for a looong time across multiple cars, not just camaros. They need to make the car appeal to a broad spectrum of people.
Otherwise the only thing you'll be hearing is the sound of the assembly plant closing like it did in 02.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #138
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
For 4 cylinders..

Sounds damn good for a 4 cylinder... better than an LS3.. NO.. still good for what it's worth tho
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #139
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The head editor at GMInsideNews just replaced his 2009.5 G8 GT with an ATS 2.0T and has stated the exhaust note of the 2.0T is actually louder and better than the 6.0L V8's. FWIW.

As for not putting it in the Camaro, too bad. Chances of it happening are way better than not.
my friends 09 g8 gt prolly sounds better than the ats...yes I have heard both and could get alot more people to agree with me, but again, matter of opinion. And the chances of it going into the camaro prolly are high and thats fine, nothing I can do about it, just stating my opinions on here, everyone has their own taste, I just wont buy one, and when my V8 pulls up next to that new 4 cyl, its gonna be buh bye buddy...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #140
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
my friends 09 g8 gt prolly sounds better than the ats...yes I have heard both and could get alot more people to agree with me, but again, matter of opinion. And the chances of it going into the camaro prolly are high and thats fine, nothing I can do about it, just stating my opinions on here, everyone has their own taste, I just wont buy one, and when my V8 pulls up next to that new 4 cyl, its gonna be buh bye buddy...
Well no sh*t. That's an apples to oranges comparison. A Corvette ZR1 could pull up next to your SS and send it crying home to Oshawa.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th generation camaro, alpha camaro, alpha platform camaro, camaro 4 cylinder turbo, camaro alpha platform, turbo 4 camaro, turbo 4 cylinder camaro