Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Who is going to know? The BAR ref or the Smog test guy at the test only place is not going to look pull out the cam to inspect. But you "could" fail the sniff test but I doubt it unless the cam is really radical, combined with headers >>>

Heads are a different matter but still depends on the Smog tester. Heads can easily be seen in the visual inspection part of the test. If you have after-market heads, the BAR person will check the casting/part number against their CARB parts reference book, not in the book, you fail. Same for any other emissions parts of the car. Rarely however that you come across the test only person who cares or knows the difference. You pass the visual and sniff tests, you are good to go.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Sounds like a plan, SAV1...at least until you can move out of CA.
i'll be moving to Australia if sh*t keeps going the way it's going.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
Tell me what you guys think.. MY PLAN --

1. CAI $350
2. Axle back Exhaust (SLP's loudmouth- yes thats withOUT a muffler $580)
3. SLP Long tube headers high flow cats deleted Res. (Called today, $1999.95)
4. Tune (have tune shop set up a "stock" mode and High perf. mode $550

Unless I'm blind and zoom by one of San Diego's finest (V1 Radar detector), I should be ok with sound levels (this set up sounds down right NASTY).

Come SMOG time.. switch out CAI, remove Lt's put back stock pipes. Re-tune back to "stock" mode ($100) So I don't have to worry for 6 years.. then every other year I spend 4 hours changing out exhaust...

IF you were to go "mufflerless", you will not want to go downtown SD. I was stopped 4 times WITH mufflers that were under the 95dB limit and still sighted for a "disturbance". It is at the discression of the officer and very difficult to fight. Ticket was minimal, but the frustration was more the issue. Reverb downtown is a beech, and that was in a 5 liter car, not a 6.3.

There are a couple of "shops" that are certified Smog Test only and Test and Tune shops that "inspect" cars for Navy guys all the time with no problems passing the visual test nor sniffer. They tend to be a little more expensive, but if your going to sink the money into your car, it could be another expense that is worth it.

I had performance cam, heads, long tube headers and no problems passing smog. Every part I put on my car (except headers) had a C.A.R.B #, they are out there, it just takes a little research.

Good luck with your mods!
Sounds like your on the right track though.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #18
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
IF you were to go "mufflerless", you will not want to go downtown SD. I was stopped 4 times WITH mufflers that were under the 95dB limit and still sighted for a "disturbance". It is at the discression of the officer and very difficult to fight. Ticket was minimal, but the frustration was more the issue. Reverb downtown is a beech, and that was in a 5 liter car, not a 6.3.

There are a couple of "shops" that are certified Smog Test only and Test and Tune shops that "inspect" cars for Navy guys all the time with no problems passing the visual test nor sniffer. They tend to be a little more expensive, but if your going to sink the money into your car, it could be another expense that is worth it.

I had performance cam, heads, long tube headers and no problems passing smog. Every part I put on my car (except headers) had a C.A.R.B #, they are out there, it just takes a little research.

Wow, thanks for that info.. were you in Gaslamp distric at night? because those cops are on the prowl..

You had LT's , cam!!?? and still passed?? WOW. Were you runnning cats? on my new set up I was thinking delete res, add high flow cats, Lt's, and maybe high flow muff..
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #19
SKANLEZ

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post

Wow, that's crazy. You have LT's, and performance cam and you past smog? In california? Shoot, what brand LT's and cam did you install. I want to check them out. I had Longtubes and stock cam in a 2000 Camaro SS, and was far from passing. :(

Mods

Custom Hood
Black Rear Berger Panel
Magna Flow Exhaust
Hurst short shifter
ADM cold air intake
Pedders Drop Springs (1.0/1.5)
Niche Apex Wheels 20x10.5 all around 35+ offset
315/35/20 rear and 275/40/20 front tires
Red Calipers
SKANLEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #20
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Technically yes, but how is an inspection lane going to know you changed the CAM? Most inspections compare what they see in the engine bay to picture, schematics and log books. If it isn't too aggressive, doesn't through any codes and passes smog I think you could sneak it through. I carry Nevada plates(military), just to avoid the hassle. My K5 has a crate motor in it. I don't have any Carb info for it. I attempted to get CA plates. It wouldn't pass. Found out it was because of the Carberator and intake. If I swapped them for factory ones, it would pass regardless of the block.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #21
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Wow, thanks for that info.. were you in Gaslamp distric at night? because those cops are on the prowl..

You had LT's , cam!!?? and still passed?? WOW. Were you runnning cats? on my new set up I was thinking delete res, add high flow cats, Lt's, and maybe high flow muff..
I was running cats, had the 302 punched to 347, full flow master exhaust (with American Thunder mufflers), Comp Cams cam, Paxton SC, and had close to 600rwhp and was able to "pass" smog.

You have to find the right shop to do your smog check. If you roll into a strange shop and ask the "inspector" to overlook your mods, chances are, the inspector isn't going to risk the fine for you. If you start preparing early and build a rapport with the inspector, you may be pleasantly surprised as to how blind they become.

I've seen shops that have entered all the info for car "a" into the cal system, then drove a different car onto the rollers and ran the test. Car "a" passed, and car "b" wasn't noted anywhere on the paperwork.

I couldn't go to Horton Plaza without getting noticed. It didn't matter if it was day or night the car was F'ing LOUD.

My current setup is Cam (Comp), LT headers, high flow cats (BBK), bullet mufflers (JBA), and using the factory H-pipe and it's just as loud as my 5.0 was, and maybe a hair louder. I haven't nor do I plan on testing downtown SD anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Long tubes in your 2000 should have been fine because the o2 sensor was farther back so there were no issues. I had a 97 trans am with jBA lt headers, hi flow cats and SLP 2 on the left exhaust and passed with and without my ProCharger blower. Nowadays the cats are closer to the engine so a recalibration is required. There is no way a car with no cats will pass a sniff test unless another car is testing for it or the smog equip is broken.

You could have your tuner create a test tune for smogging purposes for your cam scenario. Run around on a normal tune and then swap to the test tune. I'm not certain this would work but worth asking your tuner.

Honestly, nowadays the stock cams are pretty good so it's not really a mod I'd do unless I already had a tear down going for some other reason (heads, bore out cylinders, etc)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
i'll be moving to Australia if sh*t keeps going the way it's going.
I think Austrailia's inspections are more restrictive than ours from my experience with Harley's there.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #24
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLately View Post
There is no way a car with no cats will pass a sniff test unless another car is testing for it or the smog equip is broken.

You could have your tuner create a test tune for smogging purposes for your cam scenario. Run around on a normal tune and then swap to the test tune. I'm not certain this would work but worth asking your tuner.
Starting in January 2013 the sniff test goes away. As long as your tune does not throw any codes, your car will pass the test, unless you have a "visual" fail.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Oops accidental thread necro

Last edited by LSXaddict; 12-24-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Sorry
LSXaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
Way Too Fast Motorsports

Drives: 349 Stroker E85 Powered Miata
its not really about knowing the cam is in there as its about the overlap and extra fuel and air its pullin into the motor. It is going to fail a sniffer with a decent cam in there even with cats. If you can find them with CARB EO numbers then you are fine, but those won't be the best for performance. If you run E85 and are tuned for it though it makes the sniffer an easy pass. used to use that trick with High horsepower evos that needed smogs.
Way Too Fast Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote