Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
jpclutch@msn.com

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
I understand the safety concern. I also hear a lot of "control" issues. If the kid is not trustworthy, then take the car away until he is. If he is a good kid, then teach him how to drive the car safely with good judgment and just be a good role model. We all (at least most of us) experimented with what our cars were capable and not capable of doing, so why be so overbearing? If you felt comfortable enough getting him the car then great- trust him to make the right decisions. I personally get the impression that you might have a controlling (power) issue. Giving a kid this car while trying to make it run like a Kia is ridiculous, think about it!
jpclutch@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
boatguyzl1

Drives: 13 Camaro ZL1, 14 Z51 C7
Are you guys missing this.....check the date. April 1 at 1:00 am. That would make it.....April Fools.

Duh.
boatguyzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
jpclutch@msn.com

Boatguy, you might be onto something, It would make more sense being a joke....
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
ZLWonton

Drives: 2014 ZL1 BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatguyzl1 View Post
Are you guys missing this.....check the date. April 1 at 1:00 am. That would make it.....April Fools.

Duh.
+1

And check the post count...
ZLWonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Sounds like a typical liberal response to a question...
Maybe so, but it makes complete sense.

Why not just tell the kid to keep driving the V6 when he's by himself and when hes with you let him experience the ZL1.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Quote:

Duh.
HAHAHA!!
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:

Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanytos View Post
+1

And check the post count...

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Exactly.

To the OP, you sound like a typical extreme leftist employing a forced-hand solution but reaching a new zenith of nonsense-political correctness with this "issue". E.g, "I love him so much I bought him the ZL1. But the power is too much and so I love him so much I'll have it de-tuned yet he will still experience... the car." This is the kind of skewed logic and outlandish emotional projection that's driving the country into an era of phony ultra-sensitivity and social neediness.
This political puke is pointless and not needed here.

Having said that, with the camera system in place you either let him drive it or not. Maybe take him out in a "safe" environment (say an empty parking lot) and show him how it can be dangerous so at least he knows what the car can do if not careful.
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
HighFly27

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv. & 2002 V-6 Conv.
Ok, Guys.. I don't need your (some of you) comment's about me and what I'm about or my Son. He's a good guy but still inexperienced and need's some track time and I'll get him there.

We did have growing pains with the V-6 Camaro.. that's how the Camera System got there... he's doing about 80 to 100 MPH on country roads in the Bonifay, FL. Now, he's been doing " A Ok " since I put the camera in. However, it's only a matter of time.. until he leaves the camera off and nails it. Also, at his experience level, then,.... it's (quite) likely to get away from him. So here comes a crash deal and phone call that every parent dreads. So, if I detuned the car to operate around the same HP that the V-6 had... he'd be able to deal with his ZL1.

I bought him the car for a reason... I may not have a have lot time left in this world (doctoring big time). My Dad bought me hot cars' when I was 16 and I never crashed one but had some real close calls. I was the One (written in year book) most likely to be Dead from being a Wild & Crazy Guy; dead at the scene of the accident. However, I did end up in Army Flight School and flew Cobra's in Vietnam (70/71), was shot there, just a flesh wound and returned to the states.

So, Bottom Line, I don't care about the warranty (that much). I just want to pull off some HP and give my kid a chance to gain some lower HP driving experience. I'm going to take him to some of the local 1/4 mile drag strip(s). I'm 100% fine with drag strips and teaching him how to handle a high performance car. Teach him to ... respect 580 HP & what can happen in a 2 or 3 seconds but I need some training time to get him there.

The roll bar is a add-on deal & something I'd like to have in my 2002 Camaro (drop top) and his 2013 ZL1 (if possible). I have had some close calls with folks .. doing dumb stuff... texting, drunks, etc. . I have some concerns' about the other guys... banging into me. I read the deal (here) about the mid. size truck slamming into the rear of man's new ZL1. No, I can not make my/ his ZL1 100% Safe; but I can improve the odd's and that's... all I want to do !

Last statement.. I will improve the odd's (detune) and (perhaps) roll bar... so, for all you high tech. guys... what's the simplest way to detune the engine to about the HP he had before -- 323 HP (his V-6) ??? He does Not need a car (not right now) that will break loose the tires on crummy country roads and all that & limited driving experience ... in a high performance car (580 HP).

I just need some detune information.. keep your comment's (wasted on me). I know what's going on with my Son... where he's at (trust is fair +, High HP Experience = Zero) and I'll get him there.. but will take time.

Avery

Last edited by HighFly27; 04-01-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: mistakes
HighFly27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly27 View Post
However, it's only a matter of time.. until he leaves the camera off and nails it. Also, at his experience level, then,.... it's (quite) likely to get away from him. So here comes a crash deal and phone call that every parent dreads

Avery
What about unplugging the traction control and PTM buttons in the center counsel? Then all the nannies are always on. And they do tend to keep the car straight, although it doesn't control the top speed.

But, based on this comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly27 View Post
However, it's only a matter of time.. until he leaves the camera off and nails it. Also, at his experience level, then,.... it's (quite) likely to get away from him. So here comes a crash deal and phone call that every parent dreads

Avery
...you basically gave your kid something you're afraid he's going to severly injure or kill himself with.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
EvoWake
SSTOCK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Attached Images

EvoWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
jpclutch@msn.com

Highfly, I guess I see your point, that being said- I apologize. I don't know about the detuning process but with regard to roll-over protection, try doing a search for rpmrollbar.com I think they'll have what you are looking for.
Good luck!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #27
toyosuprablue
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
The car already has a high speed alarm in the dash that goes off at a programmable limit. I think it would be easiest to install something that notifies you when and how many times that goes off. Set it at the speed limit of the highway (75 in Fl right). If he goes a few months and never sets it off give him a few more MPHs. Like others have said, a honda or less powered car can be just as dangerous. This option leaves the car tuned properly and gives you peace of mind that he's not doing 80+ where he shouldn't be.
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #28
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Okay Okay, then this guy goes into a bar,,,,,,,,
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote