Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #1947
Barracuda
Banned

Drives: '71 'Cuda, '87 GN, '13 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post

David Letterman posted the top 10 reasons why the 2013 shelby has not raced or posted road track times against the ZL1.

Quote:
10. They ran out of baklavas.
9. The planets aren't in proper alignment.
8. They are still practicing. So far, on the xbox, the shelby is faster.
7. Every time they go, a chevy guy sneaks in and pulls the spark plug wires.
6. A design "feature" for drag racing prevents the steering wheel from turning left or right above 90 mph.
5. The sun's too bright.
4. It's too cold right now.
3. It's been raining too much.
2. They did go to the track, but the stopwatch malfunctioned dag nabit.
1. They will only agree to race if Al O himself is driving the ZL1.

What do Greek pastries have to do with racing or lap times?
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #1948
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
This just in, 2013 GT500s limited to 155. All convertibles, base coupes, and coupes with just PP. Only coupes with TP added can reach claimed 200 mph. This is also yet to be confirmed.
...nor credibly denied. Even the "Bible" is a non-source...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3885005/2013...Sourcebook.pdf

...but DOES confirm the 57/43 distribution figures, and a 3845 Curb before options...

Even the faithful refuse to believe the "Bible"...must be agnostics...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #1949
DJ Red Barron
Banned

Drives: 1986 Buick Grand National
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
except for the cramped interior that felt like you were sitting on the floor and the mountain dashboard, sqeaks, rattles, and huge doors, and large exterior and weak power window motors among other things.The f-body was a great racing platform but not very good daily drivers at all IMO.
I had 3 F-Bodies from back in those days. Yes, they had all the issued you just pointed out, no doubt. But to be fair, the Mustang of that time period was not exactly amazing in any of those problem areas, either.
DJ Red Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #1950
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt335ci03cobra View Post
....Also factor that 14/16 mileage will cost you much more per year to put 5,000 miles on vs the gt500's 15/24. That's 50% better freeway mileage. At $4.00 a gallon this is a huge compromise. If anyone really plans to buy these cars only to drive in the city and avoid highways, so be it, most won't.....
I know I'm being picky, but the ZL1's EPA rating is NOT 14/16, but rather 14/19 for the M6 and 14/18 for the A6 (source = fueleconomy.gov). So while the GT500 does indeed get significantly better mpg on the highway, it is not 50% more....closer to 25-35%.

Now please kindly carry on with the bickering.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #1951
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
except for the cramped interior that felt like you were sitting on the floor and the mountain dashboard, sqeaks, rattles, and huge doors, and large exterior and weak power window motors among other things.The f-body was a great racing platform but not very good daily drivers at all IMO.
What you call cramped, I called pleasing. I personally enjoyed that car. Sure, it had it's problems but it never failed me. I had an '01 GT as well that didn't quite make me as happy, and it had it's (sometimes crazy) issues as well.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #1952
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...nor credibly denied. Even the "Bible" is a non-source...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3885005/2013...Sourcebook.pdf

Even the faithful refuse to believe the "Bible"...must be agnostics...
That's funny. I was about to post that for you to read. Show me in there anywhere where it states STVPP or both STVPP and TP are needed for the couple to be unlimited.

It does state however that the convertible is limited to 155 MPH.

motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #1953
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Article is from February, says car costs 59,xxx base.

Much better source than recent reviews, chief engineer, multiple media sources, and owners.

This just in, 2013 GT500s limited to 155. All convertibles, base coupes, and coupes with just PP. Only coupes with TP added can reach claimed 200 mph. This is also yet to be confirmed.

This just in, GT500 too off balance and heavy and powerful and ugly and has name of dead guy.

This jut in, Ford propaganda lies about horsepower numbers.

This jut in, even if the owner doesn't care about handling, he can't be happy about straight line performance because cars are so much more now than they used to be.

This just in, no matter what happens some Camaro owners and Mustang owners are going to refuse to acknowledge one single positive attribute of the competition while refusing to admit a single flaw with their own preference.
This thread is getting a bit testy. I say if you do not have one of these cars leave it alone. I have a ZL1 and it happens to be my 3rd 5th Gen Camaro, and by far my favorite. I prefer it over the Mustang, as I have stated. BUT, I do think the Mustang is a very cool car. I would never deny that, ever. I do think there is way too much talking here ahead of actually seeing a real on track comparison.

I have a friend of mine that has an 07 Shelby GT500. We met up at a local cruise night last evening. He was gawking at my car so I threw him the keys and said "let's go." He loved it and wants to buy one. This guy is a car guy but has had lots of Mustangs. His current 07 puts down 680 HP to wheels. He threw me his keys when we got back from the drive in my ZL1. I threw them back to him and said "no, you drive. I want to feel what this thing has got." And.....unreal is all I can say. Maybe one of the fastest cars that I have ever been in. This car puts down about 80 HP more to the wheels than the 2013. I figure my ZL1, being a manual, puts down about 510-520 at the wheels. No matter what, the 2013 Shelby is a real performer. Kudos to those that have one. I am sure it is an awesome car.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #1954
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

I just spoke with a very pleasant, polite, knowledgeable fellow at 1-800-FORDSVT...who confirmed the early CandD "info"...but a subsequent decision was made to build ALL Coupes without a speed limiter...unlike the 155 limit on the Convert.

However, he did state that, just as it was "very prudent" (his words) to limit the Convertible's top end, it is also "highly advisable" to "get the coolers" if you intend on "sustained high speeds or track-type activity". When asked about regular operation of the car in high-ambient-temp climates, he also confirmed that in those circumstances the coolers would be "highly advisable"...

From the "Horse's mouth"...no pun intended...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #1955
motorhead

Quote:
I just spoke with a very pleasant, polite, knowledgeable fellow at 1-800-FORDSVT...who confirmed the early CandD "info"...but a subsequent decision was made to build ALL Coupes without a speed limiter...unlike the 155 limit on the Convert.

However, he did state that, just as it was "very prudent" (his words) to limit the Convertible's top end, it is also "highly advisable" to "get the coolers" if you intend on "sustained high speeds or track-type activity". When asked about regular operation of the car in high-ambient-temp climates, he also confirmed that in those circumstances the coolers would be "highly advisable"...

Thanks for proofing yourself wrong. It saved me a step.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #1956
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Sadly, GM didn't have that World Class compact, the Ford Fairmont, to build its ponycar from...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #1957
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:

At least you admitted you were wrong. And did so relatively graciously...

I'm not at all surprised by the bold part. He works for Ford, of course he's going to suggest you get everything possible to make the car as durable and expensive as possible.

I have a base coupe, and even if I didn't, I'm not sure I'd be out trying to blast off to 200 mph every other day. In fact, I probably won't ever try.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #1958
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Thanks for proofing yourself wrong. It saved me a step.
No, I happened to spend the time to PROVE, once and for all, that CandD, that stoutest of automotive authorities, got it wrong...and I believed them...

Tsk-tsk...in future, you and BOSSman and Mr. MoPar will be my unbiased sources for all things automotive...I PROMISE!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #1959
motorhead

Quote:
No, I happened to spend the time to PROVE, once and for all, that CandD, that stoutest of automotive authorities, got it wrong...and I believed them...

Tsk-tsk...in future, you and BOSSman and Mr. MoPar will be my unbiased sources for all things automotive...I PROMISE!
I wouldn't go that far ,but I will say that I try to make sure that I know the facts before I post something. Not saying I don't ever get things wrong ,but I don't post half ****ed either.

You guys are too brutal.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #1960
Paco
Banned

Drives: Chevrolet's, Ford's and one Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
You mean on Camaro5 the misinformation about the Mustang is incorrect? Go figure.
Not just Mustangs. Just in general. Its hilarious actually.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote