#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 01-24-2024, 10:57 PM   #1
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
LT1 Lowering Consideration

I read a number of posts on lowering Camaros of different flavors but didn't find anything about doing so on an LT1. I'm understanding the LT1 uses the same suspension and setup as an SS, but not certain about what differences there might be. I'm riding on 1LE wheels with Goodyear PS3s in 1LE sizes.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:01 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
So I recently put 1LE spec wheels (MRR 017) on my 2SS (with MRC), I was going to lower it, but after looking at a slight bit of "poke" on my front wheels, I don't think I'm going to risk it because I think I am going to possibly have some rubbing issues and I do NOT want to risk that...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 02:41 AM   #3
fknLT1

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro LT1
RST PX1 1.5" lowering springs on 2023 LT1. First picture is before and after with 20x8.5" squared stocks. Next pictures are with drag setup. I have a set of MT 305/35/20 mounted on another set of stock 20x9.5 (I know it's too wide for a 9.5"). These aren't ILE size or offsets but I think you'd still be able to clear it. I'm going to try it as soon as I find something in 1LE specs. Harness has already been relocated if anyone is going to ask.
Attached Images

Last edited by fknLT1; 01-25-2024 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Add pictures
fknLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:56 PM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
So I recently put 1LE spec wheels (MRR 017) on my 2SS (with MRC), I was going to lower it, but after looking at a slight bit of "poke" on my front wheels, I don't think I'm going to risk it because I think I am going to possibly have some rubbing issues and I do NOT want to risk that...
The suspension can go through its full range of motion right now without the tires rubbing, then lowering it and changing nothing won't make it rub. Lowering a vehicle just changes where along the range of suspension motion the car sits - the range of motion doesn't change and therefore the tire clearance doesn't change.

To the OP: I though the LT1 came with taller and softer springs and bars than the SS, but it will have the same suspension geometry. In fact, it will have the same geometry as the SS 1LE, too. So you can do the same lowering as they can. Since you don't have MRC dampers, it should be even easier.

My concern with lowering these cars is that most of the aftermarket spring sets available now don't have significantly higher spring rates than a stock 1LE. When you lower a car, it sits closer to its compression travel limit, and that means it's easier to bottom out on the stops if the spring rate isn't increased. That's neither comfortable nor good for handling. In your case, though, they probably are all stiffer than your stock LT1 springs.

It occurs to me that the cheapest and maybe easiest way to lower your car with an appropriately higher spring rate might be to just buy a set of SS 1LE springs. My only question is because the 1LE has MRC dampers: does anyone know if those spring diameters and spring ends are the same, so that they can interchange?
Old 01-25-2024, 10:21 PM   #5
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I read a number of posts on lowering Camaros of different flavors but didn't find anything about doing so on an LT1. I'm understanding the LT1 uses the same suspension and setup as an SS, but not certain about what differences there might be. I'm riding on 1LE wheels with Goodyear PS3s in 1LE sizes.

Any thoughts?
i have a 23 LT1 with OEM SS1LE take offs and stock GY 305/285 tires. On the LT1 with a 30 series tire it really leaves quite a gap compared to the 40 series in stock trim. I'm going with the H&R 1.25. ft and 1.1 rear, should be just about right for what i want aesthetically. FY1 the SS ( non 1LE) and LT1 share the same FE3 suspension so no difference.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:30 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
i have a 23 LT1 with OEM SS1LE take offs and stock GY 305/285 tires. On the LT1 with a 30 series tire it really leaves quite a gap compared to the 40 series in stock trim. I'm going with the H&R 1.25. ft and 1.1 rear, should be just about right for what i want aesthetically. FY1 the SS ( non 1LE) and LT1 share the same FE3 suspension so no difference.
Please post pictures when you are done, I really want to put the Eibach lowering springs on my non-1LE SS that has MRC, I'd like to see what yours looks like...

I'm just worried a little bit about this front tire "poke" after putting on the MRR 017 1LE Replicas (technically the fronts are a +23 offset (vs. the OEM 1LE wheels with a +20 offset) so my wheels/tires SHOULD be 3mm inboard more (less poke), I just don't want to risk any rubbing...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 01-26-2024, 07:50 AM   #7
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post

To the OP: I though the LT1 came with taller and softer springs and bars than the SS, but it will have the same suspension geometry. In fact, it will have the same geometry as the SS 1LE, too. So you can do the same lowering as they can. Since you don't have MRC dampers, it should be even easier.

My concern with lowering these cars is that most of the aftermarket spring sets available now don't have significantly higher spring rates than a stock 1LE. When you lower a car, it sits closer to its compression travel limit, and that means it's easier to bottom out on the stops if the spring rate isn't increased. That's neither comfortable nor good for handling. In your case, though, they probably are all stiffer than your stock LT1 springs.

My understanding is that the LT1 has exactly the same FE sport suspension as the standard 1SS/2SS (non-1LE). Can anyone confirm (or correct) me on this?
Of course the SS 1LE does have different more performance track oriented suspension than either stock SS or LT1 so I assume your comments do apply vs SS 1LE springs.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:17 AM   #8
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMobileLT1 View Post
My understanding is that the LT1 has exactly the same FE sport suspension as the standard 1SS/2SS (non-1LE). Can anyone confirm (or correct) me on this?
Of course the SS 1LE does have different more performance track oriented suspension than either stock SS or LT1 so I assume your comments do apply vs SS 1LE springs.
A few things I know:
  • The "plain" SS comes with FE3 suspension, whose f/r spring rates are 137/577.
  • The SS 1LE comes with FE4 suspension, with f/r spring rates of 178/539 (yep, softer rear springs than the non-1LE SS, but stiffer sway bars).
  • The "FE" code for an LT1 Camaro should be on the option code sticker or build sheet for the car.

I don't know the difference in ride height between the FE3 and FE4 suspensions, but I do believe the FE4 rides lower. I have seen at least one post that says the LT1 Camaro came with FE3. If so, then yes, it's the same as the SS.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:15 PM   #9
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
Ok - Great info, thanks.
And yes, I confirmed my 2023 LT1 has FE3 Sport Suspension RPO code on the printout my dealer gave me so is same as the base SS.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2024, 07:30 PM   #10
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Please post pictures when you are done, I really want to put the Eibach lowering springs on my non-1LE SS that has MRC, I'd like to see what yours looks like...

I'm just worried a little bit about this front tire "poke" after putting on the MRR 017 1LE Replicas (technically the fronts are a +23 offset (vs. the OEM 1LE wheels with a +20 offset) so my wheels/tires SHOULD be 3mm inboard more (less poke), I just don't want to risk any rubbing...

Will do, you can always throw in a little negative camber to tuck the hinge of the tire inboard.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:33 PM   #11
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Will do, you can always throw in a little negative camber to tuck the hinge of the tire inboard.
I could but I don't want to wear out the inside of the tires too fast, I don't track so don't need a lot of camber... I may just throw the Eibach springs in when my brother comes out to visit and see how it looks... I just really do not wan ANY rubbing issues, I just want to close in some of the excessive wheel gap...