Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #1
SunnySideUpII

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Bright Yellow
Plasti Dip Question

Hi guys,

Spent a few hours this morning to change my spoiler color to Matte Black and finish it off with Glossifier. I've spent a good amount of time educating myself about how to use plasti-dip, etc.

After the 2nd or 3rd coat, I noticed the finishing is not consistent all over. Certain areas (behind the spoiler, the almost vertical area) is quite smooth and almost without texture, however some areas like the center of the spoiler look quite rough. I can even see the plastidip particules sitting above the surface.

I'm attaching 2 pictures one with the smooth area, the other rough.

I need someone who is well experienced with this product to advise me what I may have done wrong please.

What I have done:

• Fully cleaned the surface
  • started with light coat (50% opacity) and kept adding light coats every 25 minutes.
  • I was holding the can 6-8 inches away
  • I did 50% overlaps between runs
  • Shaked the can properly for about a minute each time.

Not sure why I got this roughness, is it

humidity?
spray can nozzle?
how heavy I go with my coats?
Waiting time between coats?
Temperature?

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

SunnySideUpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
SoCalCamaro93

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2011 RS (past)
It does that occasionally. I'm not sure what causes it. I've dipped and number of things on multiple cars and all my coats will come out nice and then suddenly, the discharge from the can begins to release it in "droplets" like that. I then remove it, clean the top, hold the can upside down and spray for 5-10 sec then start over. It's usually fine after that.

Past: 2011 RS, 2013 ZL1
Current: 2016 2SS
SoCalCamaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
SunnySideUpII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCamaro93 View Post
It does that occasionally. I'm not sure what causes it. I've dipped and number of things on multiple cars and all my coats will come out nice and then suddenly, the discharge from the can begins to release it in "droplets" like that. I then remove it, clean the top, hold the can upside down and spray for 5-10 sec then start over. It's usually fine after that.
When you say "remove it and clean the top" , do you mean the last coat or the nozzle?

Also, I found the end result a little too sticky to the touch. Is that normal with this product?
Old 09-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySideUpII View Post
When you say "remove it and clean the top" , do you mean the last coat or the nozzle?

Also, I found the end result a little too sticky to the touch. Is that normal with this product?
I believe he is referring to cleaning the tip on the spray can. I have seen PD get like that as well and it usually comes from the tip getting clogged and not getting the proper atomization, so big drops. It is a little tacky right afterwards but when it dries it is smooth.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
SunnySideUpII

Well when I let the dip dry for 5-6 hours which should be more than enough time for it to cure, the surface was rough as hell. It was exactly like sandpaper when I glided my hand over it. Peeled the entire thing without a blink of an eye.

Next time I shall pay more attention to the spray can nozzle tip and clean it before each coat.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
SoCalCamaro93

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2011 RS (past)
Sorry about the confusion. I was referring to the nozzle. I know it's time consuming, but I prefer to re-do it instead of leaving something that I'm not satisfied with. Good luck.

Past: 2011 RS, 2013 ZL1
Current: 2016 2SS
SoCalCamaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
You have to clean the area with rubbing alcohol first. First coat should be super light then begin to put on 5-6 coats. About 5 minutes in between coats if its hot outside. Plasti dip is never smooth to the touch. You use the last couple of coats to "even" it out. Let it dry for at least an hour before you touch it. I've never cleaned the tip while working with it. Practice on something you don't care about till you get the feel for it. I'm sure it'll turn out good