Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
Chickenshift

Drives: Nissan titan
Convertible problem.

I got my 2 SS convertible last week. I absolutely love it. Best sports car I've ever had by far. I put 800 miles on it this last weekend. However, the convertible top thinks it's not secure. The message on the information center in the dash says top not secure. However, I think the top is secure. I tested it on a closed course in Mexico to 110. It seemed secure. I took it to the dealer last week and I told him I thought the sensors must be bad. He agreed with me and ordered whatever part or sensor he thought would fix it. I was wondering if anybody else I had had a similar experience?
Chickenshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Only 600 on mine & no top problems yet.....and I went through 2 frames & 4 fabric pieces on my 45th.....

the only thing I've noticed is with my key fob - I've got to hold the top button down really hard (where my thumb turns white) in order to get the top to go down from outside the car.

But my sensors have worked as designed so far.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Only 600 on mine & no top problems yet.....and I went through 2 frames & 4 fabric pieces on my 45th.....

the only thing I've noticed is with my key fob - I've got to hold the top button down really hard (where my thumb turns white) in order to get the top to go down from outside the car.

But my sensors have worked as designed so far.
Same here. I have 1300 miles on mine.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
Same here... 1 month...
Old 05-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Chickenshift

Drives: Nissan titan
If anyone has had their convertible top fixed for the "top not secure" issue what did the dealer do?
Chickenshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
SilverKast

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS convertible
Mine's at the dealer for this very issue. I put about 400 kms on it over my first 5 days of ownership, then had to take it in - very disappointing for a brand new vehicle.

Dealer diagnosed it as a broken latch or lever, it caused the top to sit flush on only one side. Currently waiting on a part and I have no idea how long it will be as they said its so new there are no part numbers yet, which I have trouble believing.

I told them I don't want the car back until it's repaired, they tried to tell me to keep driving it but to keep the top up - electronic warning noises constantly going off and all...
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenshift View Post
If anyone has had their convertible top fixed for the "top not secure" issue what did the dealer do?
Good Morning Chickenshift,

It’s great to hear that you love your SS Convertible! I do apologize for your “Top Not Secure” warning concern, and am glad that you’ve been able to get your vehicle into the dealership to check on it. Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions you might have in the meantime.

All the best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Growler

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

It’s great to hear that you love your SS Convertible! I do apologize for your “Top Not Secure” warning concern, and am glad that you’ve been able to get your vehicle into the dealership to check on it. Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions you might have in the meantime.

All the best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hello.... First time Camaro owner here and i must say I LOVE it. I got the 2016 Camaro 2SS convertible white with white trim and it is just beautiful!

I did have a question as to why must the convertible button be held down. Can it be reprogrammed to just press it once, inside and on the key-fob? (One good reason, while driving at speeds less than 30, for 30 seconds I am unable to keep two hands on steering wheel and it is a bit of a distraction).

Last edited by Growler; 05-24-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Hello.... First time Camaro owner here and i must say I LOVE it. I got the 2016 Camaro 2SS convertible white with white trim and it is just beautiful!

I did have a question as to why must the convertible button be held down. Can it be reprogrammed to just press it once, inside and on the key-fob? (One good reason, while driving at speeds less than 30, for 30 seconds I am unable to keep two hands on steering wheel and it is a bit of a distraction).
Hi Growler,

Thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the Camaro family! I’m so glad that you’re loving your 2SS Convertible. After researching your Owner’s Manual, it does seem to only show the option to “press and release” the button to lower the top (page 48). However, as I am not a technician, I would recommend getting into contact with your dealer if you would like to look further into the possibility of a reprogramming.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Have a great day,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
sklippi2018

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE
I drive a 2018 Camaro SS. The issue I have been having ever since I bought the car is putting the top up. I've followed all the instructions, and have read them time and time again, and I have to try and engage the button numerous times before it'll finally engage and go up; average 4 times. No problem going down. I've taken it to the dealer but they say it has to do it for them before they can really trouble shoot but after I got home from the dealer, same issue.
sklippi2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Chevy is clueless with Vert problems. I traded mine in for a hard top.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
my3sons_nh

Drives: 2018 2SS A8 Convertible Garnet Red
4,500 miles with no issues... Having to hold the top up/down button is kind of a nuisance (longest 30 seconds) but likely a safety "feature"...
my3sons_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

All the best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I'm glad that he got it to a dealer too. What choice did he have? The question is why he had to bring it in at all with only 800 miles on it.
I bought my vert because of the top down mechanism. I just hope that I also don't have to experience any problems.
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #14
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklippi2018 View Post
I drive a 2018 Camaro SS. The issue I have been having ever since I bought the car is putting the top up. I've followed all the instructions, and have read them time and time again, and I have to try and engage the button numerous times before it'll finally engage and go up; average 4 times. No problem going down. I've taken it to the dealer but they say it has to do it for them before they can really troubleshoot but after I got home from the dealer, same issue.
Going to bump this because I am having this very issue crop up now after 27K miles. I must push the switch an average of 4-6 times before the top will operate. Doesn't matter if I'm putting it down or up.

I can operate the top with the key fob, but of course, I cannot use it while driving. And of course you can't close it with the key fob.

Is it a simple convertible switch replacement, or is there a deep issue at play here? Hopefully it's not a relay issue or something.
bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote