Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
CamaroBruno

Drives: 16 Mosaic Black: 1LT; RS; NPP; Bose
Left Passenger Window Down. It rained.

Two week old 1LT (cloth seats).

I've already:
- Dried any visible water with towels
- Shop vac'd the fabric/cloth/carpets as much as I could
- Spread 4 Damp Rid packets around the passenger side
- Left car running for 2-3 hours with the A/C on full blast (is this bad, btw?)

It looks like the only electronics that might have gotten wet are the passenger door window/lock switches and the passenger seat adjuster levers. I'm considering taking the door apart to make sure I dry it out. Any further suggestions or instructions on disassembling the door would be much appreciated.

HALP!
CamaroBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
CamaroBruno

Just found this http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...44&postcount=1 Does the speaker grill just pop off if I get a shim in the edge?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBruno View Post
Best way to do this that I was taught is to pull down the backseat, pop the trunk, but only leave it "ajar", close the windows, and turn on the HVAC system...full fan speed, full A/C, full heat. Let run for 45 minutes to an hour.

This creates superheated airflow in one direction right out the back of the car. It will completely dry out the inside. Water everywhere can't help but evaporate in that environment.

I wouldn't worry about the door lock/window switches unless they are malfunctioning.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
I feel you- I left my old Miata with the window cracked and it monsooned over night last summer. It dried up really well though and wasn't even apparent that it had ever happened 1-2 weeks later...

Good luck. Wish I could offer something more but I think you'll be okay in the end!
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Quote:
Two week old 1LT (cloth seats).

I've already:
- Dried any visible water with towels
- Shop vac'd the fabric/cloth/carpets as much as I could
- Spread 4 Damp Rid packets around the passenger side

It looks like the only electronics that might have gotten wet are the passenger door window/lock switches and the passenger seat adjuster levers. I'm considering taking the door apart to make sure I dry it out. Any further suggestions or instructions on disassembling the door would be much appreciated.

HALP!
This happened to me once with my Accord(leather), you should be fine. I wouldnt let the A/c running for that long (with windows open). Im no expert but it seems like a lot of work for the AC compressor since the car is just sitting(I could be wrong). I took the first three step you took in my scenario and then drove the car with the windows and sunroof open for a couple hours running errands. I dont think theres anything you should worry about, except about the weather next time .
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
You'll be fine. My ex wife left the sun roof open in my Explorer when it was only a year old . All leather interior. Completely saturated. I got it all dried out. Never smelled funny and nothing ever malfunctioned. Kept it another 12 years and 280,000 miles.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Best way to do this that I was taught is to pull down the backseat, pop the trunk, but only leave it "ajar", close the windows, and turn on the HVAC system...full fan speed, full A/C, full heat. Let run for 45 minutes to an hour.

This creates superheated airflow in one direction right out the back of the car. It will completely dry out the inside. Water everywhere can't help but evaporate in that environment.

I wouldn't worry about the door lock/window switches unless they are malfunctioning.
This is the best way, directed air movement lots of air!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
CamaroBruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

This is a great idea. I hadn't thought about heat + A/C + cracked trunk. Will give it a go after work today.

Thanks for the help and from restraining the flames. I hope I haven't been judged too harshly by the forums.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
This is a great idea. I hadn't thought about heat + A/C + cracked trunk. Will give it a go after work today.

Thanks for the help and from restraining the flames. I hope I haven't been judged too harshly by the forums.
Nah, no reason to be.

Truth be told, I once left my windows wide open of my ZL1 at a Camaro5Fest. ...and I left the track for lunch. A storm rolled through and SOAKED the entire inside. You could "squish" the water out of the seats....

Everything can be fixed...lessons can be learned.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
JonGSA

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I left my window open once in my STi years ago. I came home on a nice summer day, left the drivers windown open and got one of those 5pm downpours. I ended up leaving the doors open the next day to air out and all was fine. The seat was a little stained though after that....being that they were that Alcantara material.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
JonGSA is offline   Reply With Quote