Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #29
sstampa

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Another problem with the Gen6 is going to the LT series engine. VVT, AFM and direct injection are going to make these things more difficult to mod and if you want a Camaro with 800hp, the easiest route might be the tried and true LS.

This. The LS3 has proven to be an amazing engine. It accepts and holds together with about any mod you throw at it. There are a ton of parts available from bolt-ons to twin turbos, you name it. Same goes for the rest of the gen 5 and it's drive train. This stuff will only get cheaper over time. Remember the fox body 5.0? There are still plenty of them at the local drag strips. I think the LS3 Camaro will end up a lot like that car. That's what I plan to do with mine when I'm tired of driving it on the street.

And I don't care what anyone says, the nostalgia factor will kick in for younger guys who own these cars. My first car was a 1979 Firebird Formula with a 180 hp Olds 403 V8. Piece of crap engine, but I have memories and would take one in good condition in a heartbeat and put a modern drive train/suspension in it if I had the time and money. 2nd gen F-bodies prices are going up by the month....

2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6 RJT, GFX, ECS Blower, FSP Blower Cam, SW 2" headers/3" exhaust, 3.91, tuned by Fasterproms 745 rwhp, 620 rwtq

2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison, 540 rwhp, 1100 rwtq.
sstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #30
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstampa View Post
This. The LS3 has proven to be an amazing engine. It accepts and holds together with about any mod you throw at it. There are a ton of parts available from bolt-ons to twin turbos, you name it. Same goes for the rest of the gen 5 and it's drive train. This stuff will only get cheaper over time. Remember the fox body 5.0? There are still plenty of them at the local drag strips. I think the LS3 Camaro will end up a lot like that car. That's what I plan to do with mine when I'm tired of driving it on the street.

And I don't care what anyone says, the nostalgia factor will kick in for younger guys who own these cars. My first car was a 1979 Firebird Formula with a 180 hp Olds 403 V8. Piece of crap engine, but I have memories and would take one in good condition in a heartbeat and put a modern drive train/suspension in it if I had the time and money. 2nd gen F-bodies prices are going up by the month....

True!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #31
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
A big factor in whether or not the Gen 5 is collectable in the future is if gasoline power is even available in 30-40 years at a reasonable expense. Unlike the end of the original muscle car era, hybrids and electric vehicles are here. The industry is moving away from the internal combustion engine as quickly as technology is allowing. That's what drives me crazy about the upcoming EPA regulations. If you want a "zero emissions" vehicle they're on the lots with more options coming. If you want a new-age muscle car they're also here but government is trying to kill them off. We're at a good balance now but the environmentalists won't settle for that.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #32
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
A big factor in whether or not the Gen 5 is collectable in the future is if gasoline power is even available in 30-40 years at a reasonable expense. Unlike the end of the original muscle car era, hybrids and electric vehicles are here. The industry is moving away from the internal combustion engine as quickly as technology is allowing. That's what drives me crazy about the upcoming EPA regulations. If you want a "zero emissions" vehicle they're on the lots with more options coming. If you want a new-age muscle car they're also here but government is trying to kill them off. We're at a good balance now but the environmentalists won't settle for that.
True!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #33
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
Tesla stock is off by 30% this year because of falling oil prices. I would not say we are moving away from internal combustion as fast as technology allows but as fast as governmental forces push us. The hybrids and electrics are no savior for the environment with their 500 pounds of hazardous waste per vehicle. Hybrids and electrics are showing their own issues over time and if the government stops subsidizing them and they have to compete on their own merit, not a lot will get sold. Show me one that can haul a load of plywood or a pallet of bricks. It's all up in the air at this point. Fossil fuel will be around for a long time, but how long it will take for cost effective alternatives to show up nobody knows. For me, the reality is that at this time, there are none.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #34
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Tesla stock is off by 30% this year because of falling oil prices. I would not say we are moving away from internal combustion as fast as technology allows but as fast as governmental forces push us. The hybrids and electrics are no savior for the environment with their 500 pounds of hazardous waste per vehicle. Hybrids and electrics are showing their own issues over time and if the government stops subsidizing them and they have to compete on their own merit, not a lot will get sold. Show me one that can haul a load of plywood or a pallet of bricks. It's all up in the air at this point. Fossil fuel will be around for a long time, but how long it will take for cost effective alternatives to show up nobody knows. For me, the reality is that at this time, there are none.
I'm personally a fan of the possibilities of hydrogen rather than hybrids or electrics. At least, in theory, hydrogen could be retrofit to traditional IC engines. I agree that the regulations are governmentally driven and unfortunately the administration that greatly accelerated them is still in office. For the sake of our hobby and love of automobilia I hope that there can be a compromise that allows those that want uber-efficient vehicles to have them without sacrificing the cars we desire.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #35
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
Yea, but I know alot of import ppl especially Honda ppl that would love to have a 5th Gen but Hondas and Honda parts are cheaper !

obviously you haven't priced a new Honda. My MIL just bought a new 4cyl Accord mostly loaded $31k!!
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #36
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
No one really knows, period.

When I had my '00 WS6, they were EVERYWHERE, now even those are selling for a few bucks with low mileage.

Think about how things go in other decades. When I was younger, no one wanted a '79 Z28, they were ugly, piles of garbage (general opinion of them). Now, a clean one sells for some money, younger people seem to like them...weird.

Another good example is the '63 split window vette, they changed the rear window design because not many liked it and it got bad reviews due to visibility problems. Fast forward a few decades, what's it worth now??

All that matters is if its desirable in 30yrs or so. And if they are, the low production cars will be hard to find and will command more money to acquire.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #37
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Back in the 60's no one thought about the 1st gen Camaro being "collectible" either or a lot more of them would have been stuck away in garages. I don't know if our 5th gens will ever be "collectible" like the 1st gen but they will certainly be desirable and at some point stop depreciating and start gaining in value. It may take a long time but it will happen.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #38
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
Back in the 60's no one thought about the 1st gen Camaro being "collectible" either or a lot more of them would have been stuck away in garages. I don't know if our 5th gens will ever be "collectible" like the 1st gen but they will certainly be desirable and at some point stop depreciating and start gaining in value. It may take a long time but it will happen.
Every single year of f-body before has, eventually bottomed out on value, then the few left that are clean, low mileage cars have started going back up in price...not always a ton, but have gained some value after hitting bottom.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #39
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
Every single year of f-body before has, eventually bottomed out on value, then the few left that are clean, low mileage cars have started going back up in price...not always a ton, but have gained some value after hitting bottom.
Back in 73 I came close to buying a Hugger orange with white rally stripes 69 SS/RS 350 automatic for $1,400. It looked brand new with only 15,000 miles on it. Before I could get back with the money later that day the car was sold...
Old 01-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #40
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
funny in the 60s and 70s they thought the same about their cars.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:36 AM   #41
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Any nice looking car that's appealing to everyone will always hold some kind of collective value.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:59 AM   #42
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Drive it, enjoy it and then if it holds sentimental or collectable value then restore it. I want to be able to tell the grandkids all the great stories and the memories of driving my Camaro's, it will be more exciting than pulling the cover off my 4000 mile garage queen that they're going to sell as soon as you're gone.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote