Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #379
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Wouldn't be a V-4 even though Lancia actually built V4's from the 1920's to about the 1960. Not worth the rotating balance issues. I really really doubt they'd do an H-4 either. I don't think you'd be able to keep that from sounding like an old 36 or 40 HP Volkswagen Beetle - talk about a yucky sound . . .

A V-4 is essentially what you get in the L99 when the AFM kicks in, and I think we all know how popular that is around here . . .

Inline 4 only.

Norm
While I agree GM will most definitely use only inline 4's, an H4 would not sound bad at all.

Instead of saying old 36 to 40 hp engine from VW think 300 hp engine from Subaru.... that's more of a comparison for this day and age. And that's a sexy sound, I don't care who you are!
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #380
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
Yeah, because those 2 engines would sound so much alike.
Quote:
It's not just the sound, it's the feel. I've driven 4 cylinder cars that are faster than the V8 cars I've owned, but I still prefer the feel of RWD V8-powered cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...I would suggest the foul might be in thinking a new entry point target needs to be satisfied...Why expend precious resources on a duplicate and unnecessary entry point for the Camaro line?...The V-6 LS I've seen advertised new for under 20K...Not a good enough entry point?...Is the I-4 gonna sell for 14-15K or what?...

....This "just don't buy one, if you don't like it" argument could be a marketing disaster with the glut of 4 cyl models sold by everyone else...

If there is regulatory pressure, where's the I-4 Corvette?
Quote:
Again, if GM does do it it's because of regulations, not consumer demand.

If it doesn't sell and it must sell to meet the regulations, GM will either lower the 4 cyl price and/or increase the V8 price, or just stop making the Camaro.

The number of Corvettes sold vs the number of Camaros sold is why GM wont have to make a non-V8 Corvette to meet the new regulations. It's all about the numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...But think of how the numbers of Vettes would sky-rocket with an I-4 in that model line...All the points made for the advantages of one in a Camaro would be three-fold if in a Vette...Think of the entry-level bonanza the Vette would have with an I-4, instead of the Camaro which already has an entry level one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yeah, AFM in a V6 just doesn't work--too much wear and tear because of poor balancing. Even with alternating firing patterns they seemed to have lots of issues. You would have to go back to I-6 to have AFM.
AFM is in production in V6s from Honda and I think GM just announced it for the new V6 in the Pickups.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #381
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
AFM is in production in V6s from Honda and I think GM just announced it for the new V6 in the Pickups.
Did not know that. Will have to take another look at it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #382
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaster View Post
Instead of saying old 36 to 40 hp engine from VW think 300 hp engine from Subaru.... that's more of a comparison for this day and age. And that's a sexy sound, I don't care who you are!
My wife's DD is an H4 Legacy (it's listed under my avatar pic and is the 265 HP turbocharged 6-speed manual model), and the times when I can hear it the clearest it still sounds like one of those slow little German cars. Getting used to that one single aspect of that car is going to be a long, slow process, and I'm 3 years into it already. It's probably because my early exposure to H4's was aircooled VW's that the sound does not come across to me as being pleasant.

An H-4 would sound better with a single exhaust.

All of which might still be moot for the Camaro, as opposed engines are a lot wider than inline or V engines.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #383
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I'll have to look at that just to satisfy a curious nature. Though it still sounds like it would have more ways to get wrong than get right.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #384
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'll have to look at that just to satisfy a curious nature. Though it still sounds like it would have more ways to get wrong than get right.

Norm
Did a quick search, but definitely want to look around more. From what I'm seeing it looks like the Honda 3.5 is having the balancing issues. The most recent GM V6 I have found with AFM is the LY7 (pushrod/port injected) and owners had the same complaint. I'm going to keep looking around because I am also curious how they are doing it with DOHC and getting around the balancing issues. I don't doubt they are working on it, heck 20 years ago I never thought we'd see a mainstream V6 that could spin to more than 7000 RPM and look at what we have now.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #385
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The new GM 4.3 V6 has cylinder shut off...can't remember where I read about it.

I did mention it in my thread about keeping the V6 for the 6th gen, ( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277052 ) as it could have the potential to get great mpgs if they were to use it in the next gen Camaro, and make awesome power. I'm not saying they should use it, or that it is my # 1 choice for a V6 engine in the next gen, but there is possibilities for sure.

GM claims a big V8 can be more efficent than a smaller engine or a turbo 6....so maybe a big V6 with cylinder shut off can do the same as compared to a smaller V6 or a turbo 4.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #386
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
ahh...here we go...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/12/...-deactivation/
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #387
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by karguy View Post
Meissen,I respect your opinion and did not try to put guys like you down in any way shape or form...
But for me an american car has a rumbling V-8,rwd and 3 pedals on the floor.A Camaro with a V6 or 4 cylinder would be like a Porsche 911 with a VW beetle boxer...It would be not real because the Porsche flat six or the torquey/rumbling V8 is a part of the mystique for me !
Same with BMW cars.V8 or their famous raspy and silky inline-6.Without it it would be just any other car.
A Camaro,Mustang,Challenger,Corvette without a V8 doesn't bear no interest to me;I would rather drive a reliable/good mpg transportation device like a Civic...
Again,not to put anybody down,just my opinion...
i drive a 2012 civic everyday ,its my everyday car,my camaro ss is the muscle car i have always wanted,since i was 16 ,sure the turbos make good power,the wrxs are hard to beat off the line but......99 percent of the time im not racing anyone,im driving on the street,loving the sound and power of my v8..in my opinion there is nothing like the sound of a muscle car with a good exhaust rumbling down the street,everyone should enjoy whatever it is they like...there are no right and wrong answers here
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #388
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Sooooooo, back to the original question, "why would anyone want a 4 cylinder Camaro?"

This has turned into a completely different thread of people bashing the idea of one, not addressing why someone might actually "want" one.

Simply put, the Camaro is a pretty cool car. And not everyone needs a modded exhaust or any modifications for that matter.

A great looking stylish coupe that's fun to drive and gets decent mileage. That's why someone would want one.

Now weather or not that car would perform up to the standards of people that care enough to go to a Camaro website on a regular basis to discuss the Camaro is another story.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #389
Flightwolf

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The new LT1 V8 in the C7 Corvette has the ability to drop to 4 cylinders on the highway with 450 hp and 30 mpg.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #390
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Sooooooo, back to the original question, "why would anyone want a 4 cylinder Camaro?"

This has turned into a completely different thread of people bashing the idea of one, not addressing why someone might actually "want" one.

Simply put, the Camaro is a pretty cool car. And not everyone needs a modded exhaust or any modifications for that matter.

A great looking stylish coupe that's fun to drive and gets decent mileage. That's why someone would want one.

Now weather or not that car would perform up to the standards of people that care enough to go to a Camaro website on a regular basis to discuss the Camaro is another story.
That's a good point at the end. Supposedly, that's what stopped them the first time. A Camaro should be fun, and GM decided the 5thgen is not fun enough with that little power. As a platform that weighs less, a turbo 4-cylinder might have what it takes.

Keep in mind what alternatives are out there that cost about the same as an entry level Camaro that have 4-cylinder engines. GM can take these out with a fun-to-drive 4-cylinder Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #391
hale95

Drives: 2010 White orange rally 2ss
Did GM not learn from Ford? Anyone remember the Mustang II?????? Fail!!! Would the 4 cyl camaro come standard with the coffee can muffler.... oh wait.. What do you call an american ricer car now?.... It's the 2016 Camaro.
hale95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #392
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
What does a "V8" sound like anyway? I've heard whisper-quiet V8s from the '50s, and I own a V8 car that sets off car alarms. Without knowing that the '50s car was a V8 would you argue that only the loud one is a V8, from sound alone? I4s don;t all sound like sewing machines. But whatever, if your argument is sound matters
Sound is a completely valid performance measure to many people. It's also personal and subjective. Most people here would say that the sound of a V8 accelerating quickly is more pleasing than an I4 which has to wind up into annoying RPM ranges to achieve the same acceleration.

Same for highway driving. A Torque filled V8 can lope along nicely at 70MPH ar perhaps 1700RPMs, which is a lower frequency and less shrill than a I4 at the same speed which could be at 2500 or more RPMs.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation