Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #715
Mamooth

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
perform slightly worse than the current V6.
Probs not this. Remember that the new chassis is going to be much lighter.

It won't be my style but I think a T4 would knock it out of the park, man.

Like I said before, options options options = sales sales sales = never another hiatus.
Mamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #716
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Throw a tune on the turbo 4 and suddenly your looking at TQ numbers closer to 400.
For 400-ish numbers (and even 350's), you're better off with a little more displacement combined with a little less boost and a safer tune. Some years ago, Subaru and Mitsubishi went in opposite directions on this, and for all of those times where you aren't on boost (think about being caught sub-2000 rpm in 3rd gear or higher) the car will be more responsive with the larger, lower boost combination.

Seems to me that acceptability of a smallish displacement engine in a ponycar is predicated upon it having at least 'good' throttle response under as wide a variety driving conditions as reasonably achievable. Trust me on this - I know what even 2.5L off-boost in the wrong gear in a 3400-ish lb car feels like, and it's no better than "barely adequate for a daily driver or winter beater".

Quote:
Would rather see a turbo 8 option
That much of it would be a good topic starter for wondering about how a future ZL1 would be configured, but is irrelevant here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
I agree, still can't figure why no one will compare turbo V6 to turbo 4 on this thread. Any performance (HP and TQ) you get from FI of a 4 banger, you can get with FI V6 or FI V8.
It doesn't make sense to compare engines that would not compete against each other. There is no common ground for consensus, and it would become just another big waste of free electrons (just like V8 vs V6 and MT vs AT already are).

Remember that the only reason for discussing turbos here at all is because NA fours have even less chance of being found acceptable.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #717
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
And I don't understand yours. You assume the T4 is going to cost less than our current V6 or be more fuel efficient, or both. Big assumption. It's probably only being offered because of Europe's displacement regulations. My guess is it will cost more and be pretty similar to the current V6 in MPG's and perform slightly worse than the current V6.
I never once stated it would cost less than the V6. You are putting words in my mouth.

In fact I believe if anything, the T4 will be an added cost option over the V6. I feel that is more likely. I do feel though that the T4 could be slightly more efficently. I feel that way b/c my wife currently drives a turbo 4 small/midsize SUV and she can get fantastic mileage with it.

But I agree that difference would be minimal. Look...I don't want to buy a turbo 4. I'm just not AGAINST GM offering it. If the ditch the V6, then I will be dissapointed, but if the T4 is made powerful enough to be faster than the current V6, then I'll at least understand why they would ditch the V6 option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
For 400-ish numbers (and even 350's), you're better off with a little more displacement combined with a little less boost and a safer tune. Some years ago, Subaru and Mitsubishi went in opposite directions on this, and for all of those times where you aren't on boost (think about being caught sub-2000 rpm in 3rd gear or higher) the car will be more responsive with the larger, lower boost combination.

Seems to me that acceptability of a smallish displacement engine in a ponycar is predicated upon it having at least 'good' throttle response under as wide a variety driving conditions as reasonably achievable. Trust me on this - I know what even 2.5L off-boost in the wrong gear in a 3400-ish lb car feels like, and it's no better than "barely adequate for a daily driver or winter beater".

Norm
I agree. I think 350TQ is still very safe and usable on a 2.0 turbo engine...and they can go higher. But I wouldn't want that if it never hit any boost until further into the rpm range.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #718
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamooth View Post
Probs not this. Remember that the new chassis is going to be much lighter.

It won't be my style but I think a T4 would knock it out of the park, man.

Like I said before, options options options = sales sales sales = never another hiatus.
I meant the V6 engine, not the entire car. The current V6 engine is probably better performing than the T4 engine that they will put in it. We don't even know if the T4 will get better gas mileage. It's more than likely that the T4 will be a complete downgrade from the current V6 engine. Which is the reason why I think it's silly to put the T4 in it.

And I'm all for options if they are things customers are asking for. I'm pretty sure Chevy customers didn't ask for a more expensive, less powerful base engine. It feels like they are trying to "teach" the car buying public what kind of car to buy, and that usually doesn't end up with more sales for the car manufacturers.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #719
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
The T-4 can almost certainly be tuned to produce better fuel economy in the EPA drive cycles. But like they say, "your mileage may vary" . . . and it does.

Customer preferences and wants count for less than meeting mandated requirements, which puts Chevy and all the rest in the position of being middlemen between the customer and the regulators. I don't envy the advertising guys who have to spin what somebody else thinks we're all supposed to want into being a top-priority attraction for each and every one of us in our purchase decisions.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #720
ThaCamaroKid

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
I have reminded my friends with a V6 Accord and a V6 Camry that I get about the same MPG as they do. And absolutely nobody turns their head when they drive by.

(actually I think my highway is a bit better, not EPA but actual)

BRING THE ENGINE CHOICES ON!
Yeah I mean think about it, drive something bad ass as a Camaro and get the gas mileage of a prius, but don't drive around a bitch car. Again not what I would choose but hell if you need good gas mileage why not?

375RWHP/399RWTQ
ThaCamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #721
unkillsam

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
When the next iteration of the GM HF V6 hits, it will most likely be packing 330-340 hp. The most a stock factory GM turbo 4 is pushing right now is 290-300.

I do see the T-4 outperforming the V6 in the quarter if they get Alpha light enough due to the better torque curve. But they will not be able to match the real world FE of the V6, nor the numbers on paper which is what sells cars.
unkillsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #722
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
That's what I'm really hoping to see. A 330 - 340HP V6 with more torque than the current LFX (278TQ)....maybe around 290 TQ?

Then mod that sucker to 360+ HP and 310 or so TQ and call it a day lol. That in a 3,400lb machine and I'd be very satisfied. No need for me to be in an SS other than the sound
Old 07-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #723
HorsePowerhouse

Drives: 2010 Evolution X MR
nothing wrong with a little 4 cylinder power, but I personally can't imagine it with the camaro
HorsePowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #724
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePowerhouse View Post
nothing wrong with a little 4 cylinder power, but I personally can't imagine it with the camaro
Think about this:

You befriend Clark Kent, Superman and you two become good friends. The things he can do blow you away. The two of you go golfing and afterward hit the showers. All of a sudden you realize he suffers from the condition micro penis.

Same thing, you pop the hood to find a 4cyl.? You will never look at the car the same again.

GM has to really think about this before it go's stupid. There is no fix to stupid
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #725
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitetrain05 View Post
Think about this:

You befriend Clark Kent, Superman and you two become good friends. The things he can do blow you away. The two of you go golfing and afterward hit the showers. All of a sudden you realize he suffers from the condition micro penis.

Same thing, you pop the hood to find a 4cyl.? You will never look at the car the same again.

GM has to really think about this before it go's stupid. There is no fix to stupid
Speaking of that, why you checking guys out in the shower?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #726
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Still arguing are we!? By the way, a "micro penis" will get you just as pregnant as a floor dragger will! It isn`t the size of the motor that counts or the number of cylinders, it`s how it performs is all that matters.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #727
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
You'll have a 4 cyl soon.....direct injected, variable valve timing and turbo. It's the future.....deal with it......from AP, heres why:

By 2025, new cars and trucks sold in the U.S. will have to average 54.5 miles per gallon of gasoline, up from the current 30.8 mpg.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #728
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Pecker Checker

anyway, I would have no problem lifting the hood on a 6th Gen Camaro with a 4 banger turbo if it pushes in the ball park of 320hp in a 3,200lb Camaro, with adequate torque to match....
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation