Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #701
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Would rather see a turbo 8 option than a turbo 4 option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
I agree, still can't figure why no one will compare turbo V6 to turbo 4 on this thread. Any performance (HP and TQ) you get from FI of a 4 banger, you can get with FI V6 or FI V8.
Forgive me if I miss-understand, but I think the appropriate response to these comments is "DUH".

The whole point is to create an efficient and powerful engine. Not too win HP wars. Of course anyone that cares about power will want a turbo V6 or turbo V8 over a turbo 4.....but if that person's budget doesn't allow for that then they will be glad to see an option for them that isn't completely boring to drive either.

Why would we compare a T8 or a T6 to a T4?

Sorry I just don't understand your comments I guess.

Last edited by KMPrenger; 06-28-2013 at 04:10 PM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #702
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
well I have a twin turbo 8, and I love it...yoot yoot
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #703
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I thought they have a 4cyl Camaro. Isn't called an L99?
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #704
ThaCamaroKid

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I would say several reasons ( though these are not for me )

1 - cheaper than a V8
2 - better fuel economy
3 - not everybody modifies their car for racing, some people like low/mild power
4 - why drive a Prius when you could drive something with similar fuel economy and the looks of a Camaro?

Does not mean I think like that.
But some people do. And if there is a market for it, why not make a car for it?

375RWHP/399RWTQ
ThaCamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #705
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
so they can VTEC it yo. so vtec can kick in, because people who talk about vtec are COMPELTELY AWARE that almost every car since 2000 that has fuel injection effectively has "vtec"

*sarcasm

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #706
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Forgive me if I miss-understand, but I think the appropriate response to these comments is "DUH".

The whole point is to create an efficient and powerful engine. Not too win HP wars. Of course anyone that cares about power will want a turbo V6 or turbo V8 over a turbo 4.....but if that person's budget doesn't allow for that then they will be glad to see an option for them that isn't completely boring to drive either.

Many here are comparing high end turbo 4s to NA v6 in terms of HP and TQ. THAT is what I'm talking about. If you are just after gas mileage, how did you say it? Duh. Buy a Prius or a turbo diesel Cruze. With around 48 mpg. You don't get to compare FI to NA then when someone points out you can mod anything, or slap a turbocharger on a V6 then claim it's only to create a efficient engine.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #707
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
so they can VTEC it yo. so vtec can kick in, because people who talk about vtec are COMPELTELY AWARE that almost every car since 2000 that has fuel injection effectively has "vtec"

*sarcasm
VTEC is variable valve timing, not fuel injection.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #708
unkillsam

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
He is correct. Most cars have variable valve timing. However there has not been a production carbed vehicle since 1991, so not sure why he was tying fuel injection into variable timing.
unkillsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #709
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I want a 4 cylinder inline transverse mounted engine powering the front wheels in the Gen 6 Camaro as the only engine choice, just to piss some of you guys off
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #710
Mamooth

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post

*sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I'm not a Honda guy but VTEC is a LOT more than variable valve timing. For it's day, VTEC was one of the most incredible engine advances for a tiny little 4 banger since the overhead cam. It varies timing yes, but also has two totally separate cam profiles. The "VTEC kicked in yo!" people are mostly idiots but VTEC remains much more technologically advanced than other variable valve timing systems outside of extremely high end cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Would rather see a turbo 8 option than a turbo 4 option.
Duh? hahaa

Quote:
This thread just keeps on and keeps on lol.

It should be no shock to anyone here that a turbo 4 could run with or outrun a V6. Performance oriented turbo 4 engines these days are making 280 - 320 HP and that same amount in torque and also makes that torque at low rpms.

Compare that to a V6 which makes plenty of HP 323HP, but just 278 TQ and you can easily see how the turbo 4 could be quicker.

Throw a tune on the turbo 4 and suddenly your looking at TQ numbers closer to 400.

Yes right now the rumor mill seems to think the Mustang base car will be the V6, with the T4 being an optional engine which likely will have more torque, and better highway gas mileage.

I'd guess that GM is doing the same.
Yup. As long as there is always a bad a$$ v-8 performer to keep the spirit of this car alive who cares how many different engines they offer trying to get more sales? More sales equals never having to suffer through another hiatus like between 4th and 5th gens.
Mamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #711
Mamooth

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I want a 4 cylinder inline transverse mounted engine powering the front wheels in the Gen 6 Camaro as the only engine choice, just to piss some of you guys off
Sounds good! Lets have one in front and one in back!
Mamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #712
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post
4 - why drive a Prius when you could drive something with similar fuel economy and the looks of a Camaro?
I have reminded my friends with a V6 Accord and a V6 Camry that I get about the same MPG as they do. And absolutely nobody turns their head when they drive by.

(actually I think my highway is a bit better, not EPA but actual)

BRING THE ENGINE CHOICES ON!
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #713
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
The V6 owners are the ones wanting a 4 banger. Don't let it effect you.
I don't understand why V8 owners have to be such total pricks about it.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #714
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:

And I don't understand yours. You assume the T4 is going to cost less than our current V6 or be more fuel efficient, or both. Big assumption. It's probably only being offered because of Europe's displacement regulations. My guess is it will cost more and be pretty similar to the current V6 in MPG's and perform slightly worse than the current V6.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation