Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #169
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
It doesnt dominated any segment. Not the fastest in the 1/4, not the fastest at the track ,even though that was the primary focus of its design, not the most pratical as a DD. Besides, who says the Demon cant corner? Im sure it does just fine. You guys act like you are going to die in a Challenger if you try to go around a 45MPH turn at 55. They say Hellcats dont handle either. Well, my handles as good as it needs to on the highway and better than most cars on the street around it. Im sure the Demon wont kill you if you try to turn with it. Like I said above. Im not interested in what I can do at VIR. If I was, I wouldn't own a Challenger or a Camaro.
If you guys want to see what its like to drive a powerful car that doesnt handle, I envite you to come over and drive one of my old cars with big blocks. You will think the Demon is an F1 car after that. Lol
I don't know what kind of HC you have. But mine handles nowhere even close to my ZL1. I can take a corner in my ZL1 sometimes over 10 MPH faster than I can go in my HC. And even at that the ZL1 will have no body roll and it will feel like it can go a little faster while the body roll on the HC suggests I should be slowing down a bit.

And look at the list of cars that the ZL1 beats. It straight up does dominate. It isn't the absolute best. But in it's price range there is nothing that can beat it in cornering, acceleration, or braking. The Demon in it's price range is good only at acceleration. Everything else will destroy it in every other category.

And don't be one of those guys who can't look past a vehicle's faults man. I love my HC. But I'd be a fool if I sat here trying to defend it for not being able to corner. I'd be even much more of a fool if I sat here trying to compare it's cornering abilities to the ZL1. The ZL1 straight up thrashes the HC in cornering. It is not even close by any realistic margin bro. I'll back up that the Demon is faster than the ZL1 and even the Z06. But it doesn't hold a candle to them when it comes to cornering.

Quote:
The Camaro isnt a light car. I've been in many diffent types of races cars over the years. The only ones that interest me that turn do it on dirt. Im not the one making excuses in this thread. I really dont know why this argument about the ZL1 being able to turn always get thrown out there when it gets beat. This thread is about drag racing and the Demon and was started with a video that is a joke much like many of the arguements and inaccuracies in this thread. If GM did this with the Camaro all of you would be singing a different tune. I get that. This is a GM based forum. Sorry but I dont play the one brand only game. I can appreciate any car that is different or performs well no matter what the emblem is.
Like I said above, if you really want handling and that's what you love to do than you shouldn't own a Camaro, Challenger or Mustang.
The ZL1 is "heavy", because it has every option available. Options mean extra weight. It is not built to be as small and light as the Vette. If it was then it would be a Vette and it would lose it's base customers...people who can't fit in the Vette or don't want to squeeze into something that light and small. And comparing the ZL1 to the HC...the HC weighs like 4400 pounds bro. And it is huge as hell.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #170
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I don't know what kind of HC you have. But mine handles nowhere even close to my ZL1. I can take a corner in my ZL1 sometimes over 10 MPH faster than I can go in my HC. And even at that the ZL1 will have no body roll and it will feel like it can go a little faster while the body roll on the HC suggests I should be slowing down a bit.

And look at the list of cars that the ZL1 beats. It straight up does dominate. It isn't the absolute best. But in it's price range there is nothing that can beat it in cornering, acceleration, or braking. The Demon in it's price range is good only at acceleration. Everything else will destroy it in every other category.

And don't be one of those guys who can't look past a vehicle's faults man. I love my HC. But I'd be a fool if I sat here trying to defend it for not being able to corner. I'd be even much more of a fool if I sat here trying to compare it's cornering abilities to the ZL1. The ZL1 straight up thrashes the HC in cornering. It is not even close by any realistic margin bro. I'll back up that the Demon is faster than the ZL1 and even the Z06. But it doesn't hold a candle to them when it comes to cornering.

The ZL1 is "heavy", because it has every option available. Options mean extra weight. It is not built to be as small and light as the Vette. If it was then it would be a Vette and it would lose it's base customers...people who can't fit in the Vette or don't want to squeeze into something that light and small. And comparing the ZL1 to the HC...the HC weighs like 4400 pounds bro. And it is huge as hell.
I agree with everything you say. I said however, that my hellcat handles fine for how I use it. I know its not perfrect. I never said it was. Im close to getting a ZL1 too so Ill be able to see what you are saying. Im hoping to be blown away.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #171
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Spin it however you want. I can do that too. The ZL1 was designed to be a track car that you can take to diner. That's as much as a one trick pony as the Demon being designed to be a drag car that you can take to diner. The difference is that it beats them All at what it was designed to too. The ZL1 doesnt. There was some good engineering involved with that too. Oh and for a dallor each you can add back in all the goodies that any modern car has these days making the car more practical because it actually has a back seat you can use. Well, if you pay the dallor to put it back. This may surprise you ,but many people dont care about track times at VIR or any other track.
I know I would migrate more to an upper 9 second 1/4 mile car over any car that can run VIR at whatever time. Every car that is tested and wrote about gives you 1/4mile times, brake distance times and 0 to 60 times. They dont give you was it can run around a track.
Why you think that is? Ill let you ponder on it.
The Demon dominates in an arena no other manufacture is interested in. It’s an oddity that makes everyone stop and look, but no other manufacturer is interested in replicating. As for Chevy’s engineering efforts with the Camaro...

Car and Driver 10Best three consecutive years
Quote:
Chevrolet Camaro V-6 / SS / ZL1 Coupes
...Camaro will demolish your preconceptions, one corner at a time.

...About that chassis. It’s one of the best in the world, with the kind of preternaturally intuitive steering, faultless brakes, and overall balance you’d expect from a Porsche.

...The ZL1 is a supercar that just happens to look like a Camaro.

Camaros are among the most sophisticated driver’s cars in the world. And three consecutive years on the 10Best Cars list proves that this Chevy isn’t just great at attacking a corner, it has also turned one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-coupes-page-4
Engineering. Ponder that.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #172
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The Demon dominates in an arena no other manufacture is interested in. It’s an oddity that makes everyone stop and look, but no other manufacturer is interested in replicating. As for Chevy’s engineering efforts with the Camaro...

Car and Driver 10Best three consecutive years Engineering. Ponder that.
I get that. Chevy has no reason to when they have the offerings they do. With the Camaro, Vette and Caddy.

Im a drag racer, and a fan of old MOPARs. Of course the Demon excites folks like me. Like I said a million times, that takes nothing away from the ZL1. I never made any claims that the Demon or the Hellcat for that matter is in its league. That's why I hang out here. I love to see these gen6 cars.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #173
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I get that. Chevy has no reason to when they have the offerings they do. With the Camaro, Vette and Caddy.

Im a drag racer, and a fan of old MOPARs. Of course the Demon excites folks like me. Like I said a million times, that takes nothing away from the ZL1. I never made any claims that the Demon or the Hellcat for that matter is in its league. That's why I hang out here. I love to see these gen6 cars.
The Demon will be legendary.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #174
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Haha! Yep, and my thing is that I love them all. But when I came into this thread and people were making claims about the car that just weren't True, I have to speak up. I would do the same and have for the ZL1 on Challenger talk or any other fourm.

It's fun to see people still have a passion for hotrods like you have on C5 AND C6. Its all good.
Likewise. Any cool fast car and I'm interested, no matter who makes it.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #175
motorhead

Quote:
The Demon will be legendary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Likewise. Any cool fast car and I'm interested, no matter who makes it.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #176
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
The Camaro isnt a light car.
Well, you are talking about a 4500lb dodge here...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:42 PM   #177
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well, you are talking about a 4500lb dodge here...
The Demon is 4250lb and you plucked what I said about the Camaro not being lite out of the context of why I said it.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #178
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
The Demon is 4250lb and you plucked what I said about the Camaro not being lite out of the context of why I said it.
My bad, the hellcat was the 4500lb one, they saved weight on the demon by using smaller brakes, among other things, so I'm not thinking handling was a big priority...C/D estimated curb weight for the demon is 4300, haven't found a tested one, but I can feel the several hundred pounds lighter difference in the gen 6 camaro vs. my old gen 5.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #179
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
The Dodge Demon is the Baddest modern muscle car ever made.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:49 AM   #180
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:

Car and Driver 10Best three consecutive years Engineering. Ponder that.
If this is the case why is there discussion about a ZL1 Drag Pack version? I am not up to date on this discussion but I have seen it mentioned several times in this forum. Is this an owner install option, or something Chevy is considering?

Dodge raised the bar again with the new Widebody running 10s due to actual rubber under the car, and will introduce a new Hellcat with more power and some options from the Demon in 19, Ford will release the GT500, more than likely Chevy will be at the rear of the pack once again in regards to street/strip unless they step up as well.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #181
Harry76

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
The Dodge Demon is the Baddest modern muscle car ever made.
I don't consider it Modern, if it were it would do more than go fast in a straight line.
Harry76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #182
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry76 View Post
I don't consider it Modern, if it were it would do more than go fast in a straight line.
"muscle cars are intended for street use and occasional drag racing.They are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing."

I guess because Harry off the internet has a different opinion we should go and change the definition of what a muscle car is just for him.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote