Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #113
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
T tops are one of the coolest things, ever. I wish my 3rd gen had them, but im currently saving for a 2nd gen, and theres no way im buying one without T tops! I guess I don't get why they cant do t tops on the 5th gens, could anyone fill me in?
You'll have to look earlier in the thread, that was answered. It's because of the structure of the 5th Gens. Who knows if GM will ever recreate a t-top or just a removable roof like the Corvette. I think it has the potential to be amazing nonetheless.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #114
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I would rather have the removable top like the Vette, But it will never happen..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #115
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Ok, posted many times before because simply............T-tops are loved by a lot of F-body fans.

First of all, for roof crush, FMVSS 216, convertibles are exempt. The Targa, or a roof similar to the one piece roof used on the Corvette makes it a convertible by the legal definition. Also by the legal definition, convertibles are exempted from FMVSS 216.

T-tops, on the other hand, do NOT get this exemption and must be tested as a coupe and meet all the standards a car with a full structural must meet. The structure that runs over the roof and joins the top of the windshield header to the top of the b-pillar is missing on a T-top car.

It's not to say you can't. You can do anything if you have enough $ and mass to add that structure back in. I'm just pretty sure no one would like the resulting appearance. It would be far from the sleek look of the earlier cars.

There is a reason why no one has T-tops in the US market right now. It's not like others are doing it and GM is choosing not to. There isn't anyone doing it for the structural reasons outlined above.

I wouldn't say "never" or "impossible" but it would be really, really, really hard to do.

Oh and there is that nasty water leak problem T-tops provide. Again, sealing is better in the last 10 years so that can like be overcome with a more robust design.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #116
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
I know there are a lot of you with deep Camaro roots that like the 4th gen, but that catfish isn't respected by anyone else. It's ugly and the interior looks like garbage. It isn't a headturner at all.
Years ago I owned a succession of GM cars, including a '62 'vette, '69 SS396 Chevelle, '70-1/2 Z/28, '64 "vette coupe, and a '76 Trans Am. The lack of horsepower turned me off on the 3rd gen Camaros, but it was the awful "catfish" looks of the 4th gen Camaro that made me buy Ford for the first time ever (a '96 Mustang Cobra in the one-year-only color-shifting mystic paint). I have since added an '01 Mustang Cobra and an '08 GT500 to my garage. But the fabulous 5th gen Camaro ZL1 brought me back to GM.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #117
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It is unrealistic to evaluate cars built when you were in grade school against today's "standards" (which I could say focus too much on appearances inside and out - and people still complain).

Nor do I see where your "handles like crap" comment is coming from, unless your own driving experience was in one with bad shocks and suspension bushings well past their prime. The earlier car having a different "feel" (mostly a stick axle vs IRS thing) does not necessarily mean that it's poor or grossly inferior. Just different. I've driven a 4th gen (Firebird, actually) a few times, quite possibly harder as far as cornering/handling is concerned than you've ever driven anything.

Rear-of-engine access, Optispark, and brake hop in some years, I'll give you as being 4th gen weaknesses.

At least you got this part right. ( if you're old enough).

Norm
I'm only 12 whats a car.

In all seriousness though, that car is not taken seriously. It IS a great beater for sure, definitely worth having to slay tires but it lacks refinement. Even the 1st and 2nd gen Camaros had that, the later models fell the way of literally every other American car in the late 80's early 90's and became a plastic heap.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #118
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
1st and 2nd gens had refinement? That's a new one to me. I think what you're offering is anecdotal rather than factual -- especially when taken in the context of the other vehicles of the same period.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #119
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
In all seriousness though, that car is not taken seriously. It IS a great beater for sure, definitely worth having to slay tires but it lacks refinement.
Relative to today, that may be true. But relative to its time, and particularly with regard to handling, no. Either it or its 4th gen Firebird cousin basically owned at least two of SCCA's autocross classes, autocross being as intense of a yardstick by which to measure handling as anything I can think of. Set up for autocross to the same class rules as everybody else, even the 3rd gens can and do still win at the National level.

Sam Strano (multi-time SCCA National autocross champion, who I know to speak to) and at least one other guy who open-tracks his would take issue with your disrespect of the 4th gen chassis's handling as much as I did. And those two guys - people I know from CamaroZ28, FRRAX, and other forums - rarely seem to agree with each other on much.

And you can always swap out the powertrain for something a bit stouter if you're all that unhappy with the SBC. That path is pretty well defined.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #120
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...dude, your words are callous and reckless Mike...circle jerk...really.....go somewhere else and stir up crap....
Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #121
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
I would rather have the removable top like the Vette, But it will never happen..
I'll take a removable roof too, never say never. If the demand was there, it could be a possibility in the 7th Gen.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #122
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I actually like the LS1 4th gens.

You can't compare it to the 5th gens because the design is old, GM planned on killing the Camaro off so I doubt the did as good a job on the design as they should have and it was made in a different era.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #123
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
GM did not plan on killing anything off. Really? Are you kidding? I do not think so. The F body line is dead, and it burdens my soul. It died in 2002. Why? I don't wan't to get into the philosophy or reason, but in a microcosim look at what happened with big business, the financial collapse, and bailouts. The problem that occured at the time of demise of the Camaro <and Firebird, with the subsequent death of the Pontiac Division> runs far deeper than your premisie Hobbs. The lineage would have prospered and been in state today if not for a perfect storm occuring. The Camaro died for a lack of support, lack of vision, unwilingness to change, not meeting consumers wants, and the dropping sales within a Corporation that began to see the light of sliding profit and it's inveitable downturn due to not keeping it's eye on the ball,

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 07-19-2013 at 09:22 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #124
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Motor trends Wide open throttle episode concerning the Z/28
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #125
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Motor trends Wide open throttle episode concerning the Z/28
Already posted. This car will be amazing for those "track" only drivers. The '14 Z/28 isn't for everybody. Looking forward to a Z28 when and if it'll ever be released not a Z/28. 2nd-4th Gen Z28s will be hard for GM not to eventually make on future models the same way the 1st Gen Z/28 is being influenced by the 2014 Z/28.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #126
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Already posted. This car will be amazing for those "track" only drivers. The '14 Z/28 isn't for everybody. Looking forward to a Z28 when and if it'll ever be released not a Z/28. 2nd-4th Gen Z28s will be hard for GM not to eventually make on future models the same way the 1st Gen Z/28 is being influenced by the 2014 Z/28.
Sorry I just saw it on my motortrend app a little while ago and thought I would post it.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation