Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Eazy.SS

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Misfire Cylinder 1

I have a 2015 Camaro SS with a tsp stage 3 cam and 3400 stall. About a month ago I was on vacation and service stabilitrak came up. I scanned the codes and showed misfire in cylinder 1. I changed the spark plugs, wires, coil pack to that cylinder, and moved injector around. It still had the problem in the same cylinder. I ended up taking it to a dealer and they diagnosed it as a faulty computer. But since the car was tuned they couldn’t do anything else. So I took it to my tuners shop and he installed the ecm and new tune. Still had the same problem. Since then I’ve checked valve springs, rockers, and pushrods. Still the same problem. Can anyone help? I’m ready to have my car back and running so I can put this NX Kit in
Eazy.SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Have you checked compression to see if that hole is producing less compression than the rest? It sounds like you have electrical and fuel eliminated.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
Eazy.SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Have you checked compression to see if that hole is producing less compression than the rest? It sounds like you have electrical and fuel eliminated.
The dealer said that the compression was fine when I picked it up. But they also diagnosed bad ecm and that wasn’t the problem.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Dealerships are a joke anymore these days. Incompetence is plentiful at every dealer I have any experience with.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Eazy.SS

Checked compression. Looked fair. Still needing any help I can get. I’m out of ideas.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
G8One2

What did you get for compression? Your first compression pulse should always jump past 90psi. This indicates good valve to seat seal.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
Eazy.SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
What did you get for compression? Your first compression pulse should always jump past 90psi. This indicates good valve to seat seal.
For Cylinder 1 compression was 165psi
Old 08-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
G8One2

And what did the other cylinders read? No cylinder should be less than 15% of another. You "should" check all 8 cylinders. Might be better to take it to a competent mechanic for accurate diagnosis. Just checking 1 cylinder and saying it looked fair doesn't mean anything. No pun intended.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Eazy.SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
And what did the other cylinders read? No cylinder should be less than 15% of another. You "should" check all 8 cylinders. Might be better to take it to a competent mechanic for accurate diagnosis. Just checking 1 cylinder and saying it looked fair doesn't mean anything. No pun intended.
I checked all 8. Lowest was cylinder 2 at 150 and highest was cylinder 3 at 180 the rest ranged in between there. I can’t remember them off the top of my head since I’m at work I can’t read the paper and give each.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
One of the most common causes is a pinched or broken ringland. Usually it will be #7 as it runs slightly hotter than the rest, but engine will run fine except the misfire code, and will pass a compression test. BUT, only a leak down test will show this, and dealers do not perform them. Try a leak down test and let us know.

Good Luck!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
Eazy.SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
One of the most common causes is a pinched or broken ringland. Usually it will be #7 as it runs slightly hotter than the rest, but engine will run fine except the misfire code, and will pass a compression test. BUT, only a leak down test will show this, and dealers do not perform them. Try a leak down test and let us know.

Good Luck!!
Took it to the shop that done the cam swap and let them have the go at it. He started out checking the basics again. Still nothing found. He came to think that the injector was grounding itself out and spraying double the amount of fuel into the cylinder therefore causing the carbon buildup. Nope that was not it either. Performed a leakdown test next. Shows a 15% loss on the test. He says this is perfectly fine and wouldnt be any sign of a problem to cause a misfire. What do you guys think? He says he is out of ideas now so about to pay to get a broken car back again.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Sometimes the connectors to the coils or injectors could be bent or the pin drag loose not making a good connection when you plug them back in.

Look at the connectors and see if they move in and out easily. They should not. Sometimes guys pull on these connector wires to help unplug a connector.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #13
Eazy.SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
Sometimes the connectors to the coils or injectors could be bent or the pin drag loose not making a good connection when you plug them back in.

Look at the connectors and see if they move in and out easily. They should not. Sometimes guys pull on these connector wires to help unplug a connector.
Just replaced the coils and plug wires. He says everything is good with injectors and plugs in that area. He also retired all injectors back to ecm
Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You should be checking the injector wire harness for damage.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro ss, cylinder, misfire