Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
rfopt

Drives: 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Does the 5th Gen fit you perfectly(positioning of peadals and shifter)?

I find most cars fit me perfect, however some are better than others as it pertains to the position of the primary driver controls (distance, height, angle). For me with the 5th gen, although it is decent I do wish that when the seat is set for the perfect distance to touch the pedals that the shifter is a little too far forward for my tastes. I'm just over 5'11" tall.

The 4th Gens were one of the few cars I've owned/driven that fit me perfect in this regard. The 05-14 Mustangs fit me similar to the Camaro. How does the Camaro fit you in this regard?
rfopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Midknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 6MT *black*
I actually don't have a problem with reaching the pedals and the shifter distance. I can get all of those things right with seat, mirror and steering wheel adjustments and I'm about 5'10" weighing 178. So nothing big but nothing scrawny. My problem is the windows and mirrors (don't even get me started with the e-brake being on the wrong side of the center console). I think the car was designed with the understanding that the driver is taller, bigger and would have the seat in the lower positions. All of the import vehicles I've owned in the past have fit me perfectly with some adjustment. but this one is just a bit off. It hardly bothers me now. The car as a whole makes it all worth it .

Last edited by Midknight; 05-09-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Midknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfopt View Post
I find most cars fit me perfect, however some are better than others as it pertains to the position of the primary driver controls (distance, height, angle). For me with the 5th gen, although it is decent I do wish that when the seat is set for the perfect distance to touch the pedals that the shifter is a little too far forward for my tastes. I'm just over 5'11" tall.

The 4th Gens were one of the few cars I've owned/driven that fit me perfect in this regard. The 05-14 Mustangs fit me similar to the Camaro. How does the Camaro fit you in this regard?
Always interested in this. The vast majority of drivers seem to want to sit fairly far from the pedals and steering wheel. If you look at a pro driver's position, they are actually pretty close to the controls. I always wonder, when I read "I'm 6' 3" and I can't get the seat far enough back" and then there's a reply that goes "I'm 6'3" and I fit fine", if the 1st driver is so used to having his arm fully extended to reach the wheel and 'toes on pedals', that the first driver has always been sitting incorrectly. Seems so dumb right? How can you sit wrong? But most people do.

I'm 5' 8" on a good day. I sit with my seat-back fairly upright, maybe 75*. I think I'll figure out a way to measure that. My feet could sit flat on the floor under the pedals if they weren't there, and my arms are bent when holding the wheel. The manual shifter falls right to my hand. In fact, I often rest my arm on it, either just below my wrist or on my wrist, depending on the gear I'm in.

How tall are you, and how would you describe the critical aspects of driver position (feet on pedals, hands on wheel) when you are most comfortably sitting in the car? I would be interested in a photo, of you in the car behind the wheel, driver's door open, showing your normal driving position.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Midknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Always interested in this. The vast majority of drivers seem to want to sit fairly far from the pedals and steering wheel. If you look at a pro driver's position, they are actually pretty close to the controls. I always wonder, when I read "I'm 6' 3" and I can't get the seat far enough back" and then there's a reply that goes "I'm 6'3" and I fit fine", if the 1st driver is so used to having his arm fully extended to reach the wheel and 'toes on pedals', that the first driver has always been sitting incorrectly. Seems so dumb right? How can you sit wrong? But most people do.

I'm 5' 8" on a good day. I sit with my seat-back fairly upright, maybe 75*.
I totally agree with you on this. Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever met/seen anyone that drives as proper as I do, and I'm positioned exactly the same as you described except for one more detail I forgot to mention. I make sure that the entire flat of my left foot can rest on the dead pedal.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
I am 5'9".. about 145lbs. Camaro fits me perfectly. I have the Recaro seats, and it's like they were made for someone my size. I feel like I am a part of the car when I am driving it. It is the first car I ever owned where I actually raise the seat up sometimes if I need to see over the front end.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midknight View Post
I totally agree with you on this. Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever met/seen anyone that drives as proper as I do, and I'm positioned exactly the same as you described except for one more detail I forgot to mention. I make sure that the entire flat of my left foot can rest on the dead pedal.
That's a good one to remember
Old 05-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
rfopt

Drives: 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post

I'm 5' 8" on a good day. I sit with my seat-back fairly upright, maybe 75*. I think I'll figure out a way to measure that. My feet could sit flat on the floor under the pedals if they weren't there, and my arms are bent when holding the wheel. The manual shifter falls right to my hand. In fact, I often rest my arm on it, either just below my wrist or on my wrist, depending on the gear I'm in.

How tall are you, and how would you describe the critical aspects of driver position (feet on pedals, hands on wheel) when you are most comfortably sitting in the car? I would be interested in a photo, of you in the car behind the wheel, driver's door open, showing your normal driving position.
I'm 5'11". Based on your description I believe my legs and feet are positioned similar to the way yours are and my seat-back is fairly upright, IMO. My wheel is also set such that my wrist can rest on the wheel. I think it just boils down to a personal preference of how far ideally you like to move your hand towards the shifter as it can affect how you feel shifting gears. Technically the shifter is in sufficient reach. I just like it a little closer to me. Also some people have different torso/overall height ratios than others so that can factor in.
rfopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Yes. All of my cars whether auto or manual. I think that is important also to note what transmission because I do sit closer with a manual.

Last edited by i2disturbedSS; 05-09-2015 at 07:40 PM.
i2disturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
Midknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I will get you started. The parking brake would only be in the way of the shifter if it was on the left. I don't know about you, but I set the brake when I park and after I turn off the car I shift into 1st or reverse. When I get in to start the car I move the shifter to neutral and I don't release the brake until I am ready to move.
I go through this same process too, but if your seat is up high enough to see over the hood (by over I also mean being able to see some of the hood and not just the hood line(it's better for parking) the brake wouldn't be in the way if (another problem I have with it) the travel of the emergency break to reach full engagement wasn't so long. Keeping over-the-hood visibility in mind you are limited on options for people of my stature for the rear view mirror. You have a very small amount of movement for the rear view mirror before any edge of the rear windshield becomes out of sight.

You're description of it is what i think the problem is: Parking brake. I consider it more than a parking brake (as do most automotive manufacturers that place it on the drivers side). It's on the wrong side for use while the car is in motion to get the proper leverage needed for precise control in emergency situations to use it as a secondary break should your primary breaks fail. To move the e-brake as best as possible during an emergency situation your forearm, wrist and hand needs to move one solid motion up and down in line with your bicep. With it positioned on the passenger side you have to reach slightly over but much more muscle contortion is used to pull the break up and the more contortion means the less muscle moving precision. In an emergency precision is everything. I did a little looking around (arguably for only a few minutes) and it looks like GM is one of the few manufacturers that places the parking break on the right hand side of the console instead of closer to the driver.

This might be a good time to iterate that I knew of all of these little peeves before I bought the car and was well prepared for it. I'm glad I bought the Camaro and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
I've often described the 5th gen as feeling like it was built around me. I knew I'd likely buy one as soon as I heard it was in the works back in 2005 or so, but as soon as I sat down in the one we rented in 2010 it sealed the deal. I've owned and driven a lot of cars but I don't know of another car that gave me that immediate feeling.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
im2smart4u

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS Victory Red
I am 6'3 and 260 lbs. I drive with the seat almost all the way back (all the way on long drives) and down, and my head is still fairly close to the roof. So much so that I first ruled out the camaro as a new car after driving a rental with a sunroof, because I could feel my hair touching the roof and it drove me insane. The steering wheel I have pulled out as far as it will go, to get it closer to me. I would prefer the shifter to be a tad bit closer as well, but it isn't too bad. My biggest gripe is the rear view mirror. It blocks over half of the middle of the windshield and makes an already limited view even worse.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Like a glove. I found the perfect spot when I bought it and only tested two other failed spots. They lost to the original settings. Left leg must extend nearly full when clutch is to the floor. I drive 'up on the wheel' but not so much that an airbag deployment would be a health hazard. Shifter is exactly in the correct spot. Absolutely love it with the standard cloth seats. No claustrophobia despite the small greenhouse. No problems with blind spots. I laugh when I get in and out. In being more of the slick and deliberate maneuver. Getting out usually makes me groan, snicker and scuff the door panel. I quit cleaning the shoe marks. Screw 'em.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Im right at 6'0 and around 200 lbs. I feel like i fit in there great. I have a manual and have my seat set far enough back that with the clutch fully depressed i still have some bend in my knee and cant lock it out. I have the steering wheel all the way toward me but i still feel like i need another inch or two, too be perfectly comfortable and same with the shifter but not as much. If i slide forward to get the steering wheel just right, my legs feel too bunched up. Also i wear a 10.5-11 shoe and i cant heel toe the pedals. The brake and gas pedal are to far apart for me, if i try i feel like my foot is going to slip off the brake. But other than those minor things its great and i wont be getting rid of my camaro for awhile if i can help it.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
With the seat adjustments, angles and height are no problem.

As for the shift, I think it is placed just fine. I have to admit that I was reaching for the shift on the column out of habit since I had an F-150 and that shift was on the column and was auto. Took about 2 months to really get used to shift in the High Performance!

Now youngsters may not remember the '64 Corvair(my Dad had several), it came with a 4 speed transmission was air cooled and was a 6cyl boxter type of setup. The cylinders offset each other with a bank of 3 on each side, and was flat not a 'V' or 'inline'. Now the shifter was a LONG throw shift it came up from the floor and curved back to the driver between the seats. It must have been 2.5-3' long. People talk about the shift being a long throw shift in the stock Camaro, and have no idea what they are talking about. They have never driven a Corvair with a standard transmission. The Corvair was most definitely a LONG throw shift. Compared to the Corvair as far as shifting we have it good-stock. I know people modified the shift in in the 'Vair much like they did in the VW which was similar. I don't think Hurst ever made a shifter for the Corvair either.
Troy