Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
coolcamaroZ28
Camaro Addict

Drives: 2010SS/1995 Z28/2005 CTSV/2007 TBSS
Just look under the dash at where the clutch pedal connects and you'll see the culprit. Removing that spring was the best mod I ever did. Smooth as butter now...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=17
coolcamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobean View Post
I have had a number of sports cars over the years and the clutch in my Camaro is by far the worst feeling clutch of any of them. I'm curious if others have the same impression. The back pressure is like the clutch is on a compound bow cam. Light pressure close to the floor that gets harder until about 3/4 of the way up where it kind of "pops" like it's rolling over the lobe and then it gets easier again. It makes it very difficult to shift smoothly when the clutch pedal pressure is changes through the stroke. When that "pop" occurs, if I'm not ready for it, it makes the car jerk.

Anyone else?
What mods have you done?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #17
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Mine is the smoothest clutch I've ever driven, hands-down.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
kcobean
Zippy Lemon #109

Drives: 2010 SLP ZL575 #109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
What mods have you done?
It's a bone stock ZL575..so, lowered, Maggie, axle-back exhaust..."from the factory"
2010 SLP ZL575 #109
kcobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #19
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
I agree. I'm used to it now but it sure is different than any other setup I've ever had. Over 40 manuals in my life. My 66 and 67 Vettes (both big blocks) had friendlier clutches.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
This is what happens when people complain. Some weenies complained about smooth clutches that required too much effort, so engineers design the "compound bow" clutch that screws everyone. (my opinion)

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcamaroZ28 View Post
Just look under the dash at where the clutch pedal connects and you'll see the culprit. Removing that spring was the best mod I ever did. Smooth as butter now...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=17

Have a lot of guys done this? It just makes the return a bit smoother or what?
FosterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterSS View Post
Have a lot of guys done this? It just makes the return a bit smoother or what?
No, but a lot of guys have had the clutch pedal stick to the floor during aggressive driving, so i'm kind of afraid to remove it. What i've read is that at high rpm, the design of the clutch can lead to a partial engagement, which may be why the spring on the pedal is there.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #23
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere Boy View Post
No, but a lot of guys have had the clutch pedal stick to the floor during aggressive driving, so i'm kind of afraid to remove it.
Uhh yeah, i may leave mine in too ha... its really not that bad, most of my shifts are smooth, however I do have a problem with the shifter as if sometimes it feels rough going into second or third. Like there is something stopping it, and im afraid to slam it into gear and break something! thoughts?
FosterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
How is clutch dust getting into the hydraulic system exactly?
As with any hydraulic operator, there are o-rings or skirt seals that provide a seal for the fluid. As the operator passes in and out of the body it picks up particulate material and carries it into the cylinder...

The heat is understood... And between the heat and micro-particulates, the fluid thickens and makes operation of the clutch different... This is also how brake fluid gets contaminated... Which is why a "sealed" system needs to be flushed periodically...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #25
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterSS View Post
Uhh yeah, i may leave mine in too ha... its really not that bad, most of my shifts are smooth, however I do have a problem with the shifter as if sometimes it feels rough going into second or third. Like there is something stopping it, and im afraid to slam it into gear and break something! thoughts?
To the OP- The clutch in all LS3 cars has a stiff pedal. That was the first thing I noticed--You've got to have a meaty leg to let that thing out smoothly because if you're not paying attention, it's definitely got a "pop" to it towards the end. On the upside, it makes for very quick shifting. My other car is a Jeep wrangler with a relatively soft clutch that lets out at the very end. It's not performance-oriented AT ALL, so I almost prefer the insta-clutch in the Camaro. It makes for much quicker, absolute shifts.

Also, the notchy gate issue for 2nd and 3rd gears has been duly noted all over this board. It has to do with the design of the syncros. If you want to know more, just do a search on grinding--I hear it's worse in some cars than others, particularly in the early LS3's.

Edit: All the 4th gen guys will remember the T56 trans issues as well. The trans mount seemed to be especially weak, so there were plenty of manual 4th gens with bobbing shifters after the mount gave way. And, they almost always grind gears going into reverse
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #26
kcobean
Zippy Lemon #109

Drives: 2010 SLP ZL575 #109
Quote:
This is what happens when people complain. Some weenies complained about smooth clutches that required too much effort, so engineers design the "compound bow" clutch that screws everyone. (my opinion)
I suspect you're right. The funny thing is that I'm coming from a factory 600 HP Viper and that clutch was linear as could be and not much harder to depress if at all.
2010 SLP ZL575 #109
kcobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #27
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
If you wear boots, try these Redwing 402's. They're slick on the bottom and they're the only boot i own that i can drive the camaro with.

Ariat's work great, my Justin's just don't cut it though. Who would of thought, dang country boys driving Camaros in boots.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #28
melvinakshay
Vrooom Vrooom

Drives: Camaro 2011 black LS
Quote:
I have had a number of sports cars over the years and the clutch in my Camaro is by far the worst feeling clutch of any of them. I'm curious if others have the same impression. The back pressure is like the clutch is on a compound bow cam. Light pressure close to the floor that gets harder until about 3/4 of the way up where it kind of "pops" like it's rolling over the lobe and then it gets easier again. It makes it very difficult to shift smoothly when the clutch pedal pressure is changes through the stroke. When that "pop" occurs, if I'm not ready for it, it makes the car jerk.

Anyone else?
+1. The last time I posted this, I received a lot of flank from the guys who had a remarkably smooth transmission.
I still believe that the camaro transmission is a pos.
melvinakshay is offline   Reply With Quote