Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
paultheman2007
SWFLGENS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Flowmaster outlaw and headers on Ls3

I am thinking of getting the Flowmaster Outlaw series axle back and headers for my ls3 i was wondering if anyone has these two items and what you think.

Plus thinking about adding cut outs as well.

Looking for Mean throaty sound.

SWFLGENS on facebook.
paultheman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
I love my Flowmaster axle backs. They sound awesome...I would drive those around for a while and see if you still want the headers. If you go to Flowmaster web sight you can actually here them do a drive by and dyno pull.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
paultheman2007
SWFLGENS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
so you dont have headers

SWFLGENS on facebook.
paultheman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Dimitrim
Dimitri

I will never put headers on these cars. The stock manifolds flow a lot of CFM. The only time headers help is when you have a huge cam, injectors, etc. What cracks me up is when you look at there dyno pulls, they are all doing the pulls with the hood open showing 20 hp gain. Our stock manifolds will do the same thing. If you did a pull with hood open or closed you will see about 18 hp difference.

Check out the C A I companies also. Same thing hood open except for the CAI.
All there pulls done with hood closed thats why I bought the CAI one.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Macina

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
I will never put headers on these cars. The stock manifolds flow a lot of CFM. The only time headers help is when you have a huge cam, injectors, etc. What cracks me up is when you look at there dyno pulls, they are all doing the pulls with the hood open showing 20 hp gain. Our stock manifolds will do the same thing. If you did a pull with hood open or closed you will see about 18 hp difference.

What? That's just stupid to actually claim that headers doesn't show any gains in hp with the hood closed...
:what:
Mods: OBX 1.7/8" LT headers, No cats, SW retro chambered cat back, CAI inc cai, JRE Scoop, roto-fab wb relo kit, RX catch can, Vmax ported TB, 1LE steering wheel, 1LE shift knob/boot, SCT tuner, Anthracite plasti dipped wheels, Apex/Pfadt 1.25" lowering springs.
Macina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Dimitrim
Dimitri

It is called heat soak. Headers gernerate more heat than factory exhaust manifolds.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Macina

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT AGM
Im not even going to try to argue with you about that... :banghead: Over and out!
Mods: OBX 1.7/8" LT headers, No cats, SW retro chambered cat back, CAI inc cai, JRE Scoop, roto-fab wb relo kit, RX catch can, Vmax ported TB, 1LE steering wheel, 1LE shift knob/boot, SCT tuner, Anthracite plasti dipped wheels, Apex/Pfadt 1.25" lowering springs.

Last edited by Macina; 02-23-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Macina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Quote:
It is called heat soak. Headers gernerate more heat than factory exhaust manifolds.
The factory headers don't open up the sound like long tubes do. People spend $1000+ on catbacks that add no power and are purely for sound, it's all a matter of preference. Apex Chase sums up the heat soak issue pretty well, however.

Regarding the original post, Outlaw + LT headers is a pretty loud setup. I just have the Outlaw catback, which is aggressive and loud in itself. When I eventually get headers, I'm not sure if I am going to keep that exhaust because of how obnoxious the headers make it, but if that's what you're after then more power to you.

Here's a video (not mine) of the Outlaw and headers:
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have outlaw axelback with shorties and hiflows. It loud but sounds great. Put in a resonated x pipe and to tame. Thinking on going back to the h pipe.As to the headers and power wont comment other then my 32 hp with shorties, hiflows and tune got me 4 tenths snd 4 mph more in the 1/4 then before the install.
Hood closed of course...lol
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Quote:

What the hell are you talking about!!! Headers are a HUGE gain with these cars, it is night and day, not only in the butt dyno but on the track! My car went from 13.1s to 12.6s with nothing else but the headers, not even a tune! Not to mention the sound is amazing... Everything you stated was wrong, not to mention the stock injectors can support a full Bolton cammed car no problem. That stament is just rediculous.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
loganj70

Drives: 2013 camaro SS/RS 2012 camaro RS
I have them both on my car, kooks headers and highflow cats and axle back flowmaster outlaw
loganj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Visago

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the outlaws and cat back with X pipe right now. Eventually gonna put LT's on. This is one of the louder exhaust systems so I'm sure with the headers it's gonna be pretty obnoxious so just be forewarned.
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
I have personally watched a guy take off a flowmaster muffler & install a hooker aerochamber while sitting on my dyno. The hooker made 6-7 more hp! That being said flowmasters have a great sound that a lot of people love!

If your going headers checkout the TSP header, we offer them with or without cats. We can also sell you a full 3" exhaust system with magnaflow mufflers incase you want to go that route. You can hear tons of videos of them on youtube.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2168-te...ro-ss-62l.aspx

full system:

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-34-tsp-...ess-steel.aspx
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:

Interesting! With my headers, HF cats, CAI, cat back exhaust and tune there was a 40 rwhp gain. With the cam install, keeping the OEM injectors the rwhp gain was 90 over stock.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote