Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
I am really curious to see if the Camaro gets the same engine as the ATS-V. The 3.6L v6 with a twin turbo producing 450 HP and 440 lbs of torque. On the lighter Alpha platform it seems like a good fit for the 2016 Camaro.
There's no reason for it in the Camaro when they have the 455 hp 460 lb ft LT1.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Can they afford to hold back ? I dont think so . The horsepower war is on and I doubt Chevrolet will be the 1st one to blink .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
In line with the current Camaro would be a HUGE fail on TEAM Camaro. This is essentially the same group of engineers that did the Z/28. The 6th Gen SS should be close in handling to the 5th Gen Z/28. The Z version of the 6th Gen should eat a Z/28 before running down V series luxury cars.

I am not cutting them any slack. They learned an enormous amount from the 10s to the 15s. No one in thee Camaro community should expect anything less than a quantum leap forward in all aspects of design, engine ring and performance. Having written that, I am sure that Al and TEAM Camaro have thee brand-x bench marks, including Cadillac and Corvette on a wall and plan to beat them all.
Base SS close to the top of the line track Camaro, which cost almost $30k more? You're dreaming. A lot of specialty track tuned hardware made the Z/28 besides the 300lbs in weight savings. You will not get that level of performance in base SS. Now should we hope the 6th gen base SS handle as good or better as the 5th gen 1LE, I think that's more reasonable. And why would Chevy have their own GM cars on their benchmark list? The Camaro competes against none of them. And the golden rule in GM is you don't build a car faster than the Corvette. So regardless the base SS will not be better then the base Corvette.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #18
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Think he said a next gen z will eat a current gen z28

Does the z28 weigh more than a vette?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 AM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
In line with the current Camaro would be a HUGE fail on TEAM Camaro. This is essentially the same group of engineers that did the Z/28. The 6th Gen SS should be close in handling to the 5th Gen Z/28. The Z version of the 6th Gen should eat a Z/28 before running down V series luxury cars.

I am not cutting them any slack. They learned an enormous amount from the 10s to the 15s. No one in thee Camaro community should expect anything less than a quantum leap forward in all aspects of design, engine ring and performance. Having written that, I am sure that Al and TEAM Camaro have thee brand-x bench marks, including Cadillac and Corvette on a wall and plan to beat them all.
Sounds good to me! Gonna hope for the best and see what they put out.

Design...performance....So far there's not much to expect other than what we've seen and heard about....a little evolution in design and a couple of possible LT engines....Doesn't sound like quantum leaps over the other makes yet....but there's still some time to hope!
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #20
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Base SS close to the top of the line track Camaro, which cost almost $30k more? You're dreaming. A lot of specialty track tuned hardware made the Z/28 besides the 300lbs in weight savings. You will not get that level of performance in base SS. Now should we hope the 6th gen base SS handle as good or better as the 5th gen 1LE, I think that's more reasonable. And why would Chevy have their own GM cars on their benchmark list? The Camaro competes against none of them. And the golden rule in GM is you don't build a car faster than the Corvette. So regardless the base SS will not be better then the base Corvette.
Rumor has it the SS will have MRC. If that is the case "The 6th Gen SS should be close in handling to the 5th Gen Z/28."

Z/28 handling is accomplished with bushings, damping, spring rate, sway bars and 305/30/19 all round. None of these item cost big bucks.

I know. I don't dream. I do. I am the guy that put 305/30/19s on my Camaro back in 2009. Paul Tracy drove it at the OPTIMA in Vegas. It ran in exhibition class and was blistering fast years before the Z/28 was released or anyone else was that fast in a 5th Gen. I know a bit about how to make a 5th Gen handle The bar for the 6th Gen SS should be close to the Z/28.

The Z/28 ran the Ring while the new C7 Vette was there. Which one was faster?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #21
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Rumor has it the SS will have MRC. If that is the case "The 6th Gen SS should be close in handling to the 5th Gen Z/28."

Z/28 handling is accomplished with bushings, damping, spring rate, sway bars and 305/30/19 all round. None of these item cost big bucks.

I know. I don't dream. I do. I am the guy that put 305/30/19s on my Camaro back in 2009. Paul Tracy drove it at the OPTIMA in Vegas. It ran in exhibition class and was blistering fast years before the Z/28 was released or anyone else was that fast in a 5th Gen. I know a bit about how to make a 5th Gen handle The bar for the 6th Gen SS should be close to the Z/28.

The Z/28 ran the Ring while the new C7 Vette was there. Which one was faster?
But lets be honest, there is no way team Camaro is going to put 305's on the front of the 6th gen SS, nor are they going to have as stiff of a ride, i.e. similar spring rate & bushings. There are just too many people that buy the Camaro that do not care about that stuff, sad but true. However I do agree with you that the 6th gen SS will (should) be a huge leap forward.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
But lets be honest, there is no way team Camaro is going to put 305's on the front of the 6th gen SS, nor are they going to have as stiff of a ride, i.e. similar spring rate & bushings. There are just too many people that buy the Camaro that do not care about that stuff, sad but true. However I do agree with you that the 6th gen SS will (should) be a huge leap forward.
1. MRC -- You can have it both ways ;-)

2. What are the tire and wheel specs on the new Caddy Vs?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #23
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
1. MRC -- You can have it both ways ;-)

2. What are the tire and wheel specs on the new Caddy Vs?
1. I'm very happy with the MRC on my Z, so no complaints!

2. 2016 CTS-V 19 x 9.5 / 19 x 10 (f/r), 265 & 295 (f/r)
2016 ATS-V 18 x 9 / 18 x 9.5 (f/r), not sure on tires
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #24
JusticePete

Quote:
I thinks, but am not sure, the ATS-V is square

I need a CTS-V in for development work. Know anyone that has one coming?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #25
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
That's exactly my thoughts too, it's not that they couldn't but the base SS is the base for a reason, appeal to a wide audience. The Z/28 ride and ability appeal to a much smaller group of buyers (excluding the cost). Also MRC is not black magic that instantly makes a car perform better on the track. It's major benefit is the ability to have a true dual purpose suspension at the same time. Will it make it better than the 5th gen Z/28, I say it's reasonable. But if the ATS and base Corvette doesn't get MRC standard, neither will the Camaro.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #26
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There's no reason for it in the Camaro when they have the 455 hp 460 lb ft LT1.
Other then weight and gas mileage, which seems to be the big push these days. But your probably right, most Camaro buyers care more about v8 then the first 2 things I mentioned.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
That's exactly my thoughts too, it's not that they couldn't but the base SS is the base for a reason, appeal to a wide audience. The Z/28 ride and ability appeal to a much smaller group of buyers (excluding the cost). Also MRC is not black magic that instantly makes a car perform better on the track. It's major benefit is the ability to have a true dual purpose suspension at the same time. Will it make it better than the 5th gen Z/28, I say it's reasonable. But if the ATS and base Corvette doesn't get MRC standard, neither will the Camaro.
The SS is NOT a base Camaro. That aside, you will be seeing MRC on a much wider range of their vehicles. The cost of the MRC system is dropping like a rock.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #28
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
Other then weight and gas mileage, which seems to be the big push these days. But your probably right, most Camaro buyers care more about v8 then the first 2 things I mentioned.
The TTV6 isn't any lighter and it gets similar mileage to the LS3. The LT1 will get better mileage due to the cylinder deactivation.