#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #183
dcosta

Drives: 17 ZL1 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
I thought there was a post somewhere which showed the ECM parameters that needed to be met in order for the NLS to engage but I can't find it. To me it sounded like that was the SAME system that was engaging here, though inadvertently. But then I've seen another thread stating that the NLS doesn't actually hold the RPM but allows it to more safely hit the rev limiter. If the latter is true then it's a different system. Can anyone confirm?
Sounds like another Saturday testing session needs to happen..lol

DCosta9
dcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #184
Ironhide

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
OMG - THANK YOU for posting this. I drive an SS 1LE w/M6. For the past few weeks after the break-in (it has 2k miles now)... the power has been very deliberately cutting off right around 5K RPM. I read this thread about 45 minutes ago, and went out for another test. BINGO. It is the CLUTCH!! DARGH... why isn't this in the manual?? I will have to go back and scour it again to see if I missed it. But that absolutely fixed the problem. I tried no clutch and for the first time, it carried all the way to redline at 6.5k... perfectly. Shifted and thru 6.5k in 2nd perfectly. Then, put a toe on the clutch the next time, and there it cut out again! I am so thankful you posted this... that explains things perfectly and I can now sleep at night again!

I'm posting this in the 1LE section too because this sensor is apparently in the 455hp 6.2 L version too.

Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #185
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
OMG - THANK YOU for posting this. I drive an SS 1LE w/M6. For the past few weeks after the break-in (it has 2k miles now)... the power has been very deliberately cutting off right around 5K RPM. I read this thread about 45 minutes ago, and went out for another test. BINGO. It is the CLUTCH!! DARGH... why isn't this in the manual?? I will have to go back and scour it again to see if I missed it. But that absolutely fixed the problem. I tried no clutch and for the first time, it carried all the way to redline at 6.5k... perfectly. Shifted and thru 6.5k in 2nd perfectly. Then, put a toe on the clutch the next time, and there it cut out again! I am so thankful you posted this... that explains things perfectly and I can now sleep at night again!

I'm posting this in the 1LE section too because this sensor is apparently in the 455hp 6.2 L version too.

Are you saying if you shift with the clutch normally driving aggressive it does this and it doesn't do it doing no lift shift?

Only code I have seen is if u try no lift and and accidentally lift a tad it over rev and pop a code.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #186
Ironhide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Are you saying if you shift with the clutch normally driving aggressive it does this and it doesn't do it doing no lift shift?

Only code I have seen is if u try no lift and and accidentally lift a tad it over rev and pop a code.
I don't understand the question, sorry... But to try and clarify, I am saying that you basically cannot rest your foot on the clutch for very aggressive driving. The sensor can tell, it's extremely sensitive as pointed out in this thread. Under normal or even semi-aggressive acceleration... Not a problem. For WOT, it will sense your foot on the pedal if you depress it at all (I mean at all... way before the disengagement point) and cut power around 5k. I've driven many high performing sticks for years... Never seen one with this "feature". Just takes a little getting used to. Took me just a few minutes to adjust mentally.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #187
dcosta

Drives: 17 ZL1 6M
Quote:
I don't understand the question, sorry... But to try and clarify, I am saying that you basically cannot rest your foot on the clutch for very aggressive driving. The sensor can tell, it's extremely sensitive as pointed out in this thread. Under normal or even semi-aggressive acceleration... Not a problem. For WOT, it will sense your foot on the pedal if you depress it at all (I mean at all... way before the disengagement point) and cut power around 5k. I've driven many high performing sticks for years... Never seen one with this "feature". Just takes a little getting used to. Took me just a few minutes to adjust mentally.
Yes this was a fun one to find for sure but fixed!!

DCosta9
dcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #188
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:

I see...

On the reverse of that see what happens when you do a NO LIFT shift and raise a tad from that sensitivity.. Can you say CEL and Reduced Power! I guess with a sticks I have drove for 30 years I never rested my foot at all because I new Hydraulic pressure would be applied at some degree and could cause the clutch to slip or heat up and glaze... Well at least the thats what good teachers taught..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #189
Ironhide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I see...

On the reverse of that see what happens when you do a NO LIFT shift and raise a tad from that sensitivity.. Can you say CEL and Reduced Power! I guess with a sticks I have drove for 30 years I never rested my foot at all because I new Hydraulic pressure would be applied at some degree and could cause the clutch to slip or heat up and glaze... Well at least the thats what good teachers taught..
I guess you could say I'm "self-taught"... so I probably didn't have the best "teacher" ;-) School was back in session this week... Thanks again, all.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #190
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android42019 View Post
Don't worry, it'll happen, closer to 5k miles it seriously started feeling different, now it actually backfires with the popcorn pops
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #191
PinHead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
It is apparently VERY sensitive and you CANNOT touch the pedal with your foot while under WOT or the sensor will cut power at 5100 RPM's. The engineers have designed this as a safety measure to keep from GM HAVING TO HONOR THEIR FACTORY WARRANTY. Note: What happened to the ECU Rev Limiter???

So you must keep your foot off of the clutch until you are about to shift, the slightest of contact with the clutch pedal while at full throttle over 93% depressed will cut the spark and power to engine. You don't even have to press the pedal at all, just resting your foot on clutch pedal in anticipation of next shift will activate sensor and cut power.

Thank you very much for the updates.

I have never driven a high performance manual-trans car that prevents a Driver from RESTING his left foot on a clutch pedal. This actually is more of a safety issue when a Driver needs to immediately down shift, and somethings upshift. That faction of a second slowed response time of not having your left foot on the Clutch Pedal is disconcerting.

93%....not 92% and not 94% Who in the world picked that number (must have been the Attorney in the Engineering Group)

Is there anyway to turn this feature, sensor, and headache maker OFF?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #192
Ironhide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcosta View Post
Yes this was a fun one to find for sure but fixed!!
Totally. Did another pull today. I am STOKED.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #193
PinHead
Banned

Just another reason why GM needs to send its new ZL1 Owners to a Pro Driving School.

If they're going to install all these invisible tricks they need to teach us Old Dogs some New Tricks
Old 10-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #194
RADZIO

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I have the exact same issue but its auto not manual tranny.
2018 Camaro 2SS, replaced TCM, Chassis-fuel module, checked
grounds, cables and wiring in the drivers rear quarter panel.
Been with the car at 4 different auto places and no one knows
whats going on.

Last edited by RADZIO; 10-18-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: wrong sentance
RADZIO is offline   Reply With Quote