Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #14449
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Soooooo we've been in The House for 4 1/2 years waiting for this day and week when all the magazines review and RAVE about the Z/28 and we fall half way down the board. What gives?
We are waiting for you.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #14450
JusticePete

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #14451
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The reviews have been awesome but I am looking forward to warmer weather and the Lightning Lap.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #14452
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Soooooo we've been in The House for 4 1/2 years waiting for this day and week when all the magazines review and RAVE about the Z/28 and we fall half way down the board. What gives?
Well...I see we're closing in on 500,000 reads...get the cake ready!

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 PM   #14453
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
The comparison with the GTR Track and the 911 Turbo was quite awesome. It appears the Z/28 never lost the lead around the track.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #14454
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The good thing is the Z/28section is so busy that The House falls wayyyyyy down the list every day. It's a good thing.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #14455
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Loved the review. Great to see it doing so well. My only problem was that the Porsche (and GT-R, but not so much) were on such crap tires. I realize they are the stock ones, but the Turbo S, PZeros, really? Those are really bad in terms of ultra high performance tires nowadays. They were good when they were new, but the same design has been kicking around for what, the better half of a decade? I guess I am more mad at Porsche for using tires that really are limiting the performance of the car. Especially compared to the awesome tires on the Z/28, it's no surprise the Turbo S was slower. Porsche really has no excuse as their specially developed N0 Michelin Sport Cup 2s come in the exact same size as the OE tires on the Turbo (same size as the GT3). Also they could go less extreme and run a Michelin PSS, which also comes in the exact same size. The PSS has better grip, dry and wet, better tread wear rating, and less road noise than the PZero.

As for the GT-R, the Dunlops are very good tires, but Hankook Ventus R-S3s would deliver significantly better dry track performance. And again the PSS would be a better all around tire, better wet grip, more predictable and better road feel.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #14456
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Ok, we’ve waited for this car, the iconic Z/28 for some time now. We waited longer for the Z than for the Camaro itself to return. The last Z/28 or Z28 was 2002.

So I’m going to weigh in.

It is absolutely a mission specific car. There have been many, many posts on why would anyone buy a Camaro for track duty when you could get a Corvette. True, you could buy a brand new 2013 Z06 with the same LS7 engine (assuming you could still find one) for about the same money. You could add the Z07 package and get the Carbon Ceramic brakes for another chunk of money. But that isn’t the point. It has never been the point. It wasn’t the point with the first Z/28 and it isn’t with this one. When GM goes to LeMans, they don’t bring Camaros they bring Corvettes. But for some people it isn’t just about being THE fastest car period. It’s a Camaro thing. It’s about having the bad ass-est bad ass car and frankly that is what the Camaro does. It’s the broad sword and axe in a knife fight.

Now, would I like to have one? No. I’d LOVE to have one. But my hobby isn’t track days. And with this precisely honed, mission specific car they’ve ruined it for enjoying on the streets. Soft, expensive tires that wear quickly aren’t conducive to daily use on regular roads. And if I’m spending $75,000 on a car, it needs to get me to work and back with reasonable comfort in reasonable weather conditions. And I need a nice stereo, blue tooth and AC (yes that one is optional).

So, about those tires. There have been a lot of posts that if you simply put those tires on a ZL1 or a 1LE for that matter you would get big results. I agree with that, but those cars are both much more street able than the Z/28 and the tires would ruin them as well. Remember when GM added the Cup tires on the ZR1 and Z06? They both picked up almost 10 seconds at the ring…………just from the tires. And I’m sure they would provide the same improvement for those cars.

The car that many of us wanted, including me, in the Z/28 never came to be. For me I just needed an LS7 in a 1LE. As I have expounded on many times, I love that engine. And I love Camaros. It would have been like the chocolate and peanut butter of cars for me. But as I’ve also stated, it would have been just a flavor of car and not gone around the track any faster than a ZL1 and it would have been slower in ¼ mile than the ZL1 and it would have cost more than a ZL1 simply because of that lovely LS7 engine, the hand built wonder. It would have cost the same as a ZL1 and underperformed in almost every category simply because it would have been 80 hp down. So to give us a Z/28 and one worthy of the name it had to be what it is. And I have no complaints because I’ve come to grips with the cost, content and performance. Many people still struggle with that but when you just accept the fact the LS7 is a $10,000 premium over an LSA then it will make sense. And that would be fine for me but simply would have complicated the show room.

So I am looking forward to the first threads where someone gets a set of CC brakes and puts them in a 1LE or a ZL1. It will happen. We have seen build threads with SSs getting CTS V brakes long before the ZL1 came out and I expect the same here.

And what would you have if you took ZL1 wheels and tires and put them on a Z/28 for daily use? Park those 19” Trofeos for track use. Might have issues with the wheel lip molding?? But that would certainly make the car more street able. That and add a nice stereo and you’ve fixed a few of the DD drawbacks. And CRAP, I think I just talked myself into one. LOL
I have a lot of respect in GM’s “bring whatever you want” to compare to the magazines. A great challenge. And it sure seemed to work. Even the GT-R and 911 didn’t cut it on the track and for the most part on the road as well. A lot of discussion on the AWD vs. RWD but that comes back simply to the tires. If the Nissan and Porsche also had the near race spec tires what would we have seen? I just think it’s awesome to see a Camaro in that comparison and have done well.

I don’t believe that the Z/28 is the Track King for GM. In a few more months we will see what a 650 HP 3,500 pound Corvette can do with the same CC brakes. I’m pretty sure that the C7 Z06 will mop the floor with the Z/28. Now it will also likely take the cost of a Malibu for winter driving on top of the Z/28 to procure said Z06 but if you can blow $75,000 on a car what’s another 25

But this simply goes back to the “why buy a Camaro when you could buy a Corvette” discussion. The reason……………………..IT ISN’T A CAMARO. It’s really that simple, isn’t it.

So without a review or even a look at one in person I am glad the Z/28 exists, I love what it stands for and I am absolutely ok with the fact that I can’t afford one. Good for GM. Good for America. Good for The House.

Now the more pressing matter. What does purpose does The House hold now? It was started over 4 years ago to have a calm place to wait until the events of this past week. We had false starts when the ZL1 came to be and had to wait even longer. Well with nearly 15,000 posts and almost 500,000 views The House has served its original stated mission and purpose. I think it remains a calm place discuss things in a rationale manner. Somehow we have made through all those posts and views without argument, without poking, name calling or harassment. I still enjoy this little place in the internet.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #14457
JusticePete

#3,

I have been doing a lot of traveling the past four weeks. I am with the family in Houston. Today belongs to them. I'll be back in the house on Monday.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #14458
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
It is absolutely a mission specific car. There have been many, many posts on why would anyone buy a Camaro for track duty when you could get a Corvette. True, you could buy a brand new 2013 Z06 with the same LS7 engine (assuming you could still find one) for about the same money. You could add the Z07 package and get the Carbon Ceramic brakes for another chunk of money. But that isn’t the point. It has never been the point. It wasn’t the point with the first Z/28 and it isn’t with this one. When GM goes to LeMans, they don’t bring Camaros they bring Corvettes. But for some people it isn’t just about being THE fastest car period. It’s a Camaro thing. It’s about having the bad ass-est bad ass car and frankly that is what the Camaro does. It’s the broad sword and axe in a knife fight.

The car that many of us wanted, including me, in the Z/28 never came to be. For me I just needed an LS7 in a 1LE. As I have expounded on many times, I love that engine. And I love Camaros. It would have been like the chocolate and peanut butter of cars for me. But as I’ve also stated, it would have been just a flavor of car and not gone around the track any faster than a ZL1 and it would have been slower in ¼ mile than the ZL1 and it would have cost more than a ZL1 simply because of that lovely LS7 engine, the hand built wonder. It would have cost the same as a ZL1 and underperformed in almost every category simply because it would have been 80 hp down. So to give us a Z/28 and one worthy of the name it had to be what it is. And I have no complaints because I’ve come to grips with the cost, content and performance. Many people still struggle with that but when you just accept the fact the LS7 is a $10,000 premium over an LSA then it will make sense. And that would be fine for me but simply would have complicated the show room.

I don’t believe that the Z/28 is the [ultimate] Track King for GM. In a few more months we will see what a 650 HP 3,500 pound Corvette can do with the same CC brakes. I’m pretty sure that the C7 Z06 will mop the floor with the Z/28. Now it will also likely take the cost of a Malibu for winter driving on top of the Z/28 to procure said Z06 but if you can blow $75,000 on a car what’s another 25

But this simply goes back to the “why buy a Camaro when you could buy a Corvette” discussion. The reason……………………..IT ISN’T A CAMARO. It’s really that simple, isn’t it.

I am glad the Z/28 exists, I love what it stands for and I am absolutely ok with the fact that I can’t afford one. Good for GM. Good for America. Good for The House.

Now the more pressing matter. What does purpose does The House hold now? It was started over 4 years ago to have a calm place to wait until the events of this past week. We had false starts when the ZL1 came to be and had to wait even longer. Well with nearly 15,000 posts and almost 500,000 views The House has served its original stated mission and purpose. I think it remains a calm place discuss things in a rationale manner.

Somehow we have made through all those posts and views without argument, without poking, name calling or harassment. I still enjoy this little place in the internet.

I've taken the liberty (hope you don't mind?) of lightly editing your post, Number 3, to roughly equal my own thoughts-wishes-conclusions-hopes. And thanks for saving me an afternoon's worth of effort to arrive at roughly the same spot.

Moving forward (something all HouZe members like to do!), since it took us how many months to fashion the Z/28 into a form we eventually seemed to collectively accept (but wasn't delivered in that exact form, although it was so named with SLASH 'n all), our next mission (should we choose to accept it) may be to "oversee" the Gen-6 version, with particular emphasis on the Z/28 and with STRONG expectations that:

1) It achieves/exceeds ALL performance metrics now benchmarked...
2) At a price point where more of us can participate, because...
3) Earlier generational availability will afford a greater generational volume, with more Ultra-Perma-Grins present

As was expressed during those halcyon days of Z/28 development/discussion, GM has brought an outstanding version of Camaro to market as a stupendous "bon voyage" Model, and I look forward to the Gen-6 Camaro's arrival, particularly in Z/28 form.

As a non-original member of the HouZe (I was @ SEMA '09 swooning over the looks of the Leno Camaro, and it took awhile to recover), I want to thank the pioneers for their acceptance, their camaraderie, their patience, their shared collective knowledge and insight, their relative openness and, mostly, their laid-back respect for others' opinions and sharings. THAT, to me, is the hallmark of the HouZe...

It's "interesting" how the place has been largely devoid of trolls and inciteful-incendiary posts. Apparently "others" respect the place, as well...

SA-LUTE!

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-29-2014 at 01:32 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #14459
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Well said 3.. Camaro is it for me... no desire for a Corvette.

The House will live on though the 6th Gen now..
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #14460
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
It's a Camaro thing.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #14461
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Ok, we’ve waited for this car, the iconic Z/28 for some time now. We waited longer for the Z than for the Camaro itself to return. The last Z/28 or Z28 was 2002.

So I’m going to weigh in.

Now, would I like to have one? No. I’d LOVE to have one. But my hobby isn’t track days. And with this precisely honed, mission specific car they’ve ruined it for enjoying on the streets. Soft, expensive tires that wear quickly aren’t conducive to daily use on regular roads. And if I’m spending $75,000 on a car, it needs to get me to work and back with reasonable comfort in reasonable weather conditions. And I need a nice stereo, blue tooth and AC (yes that one is optional).

So, about those tires. There have been a lot of posts that if you simply put those tires on a ZL1 or a 1LE for that matter you would get big results. I agree with that, but those cars are both much more street able than the Z/28 and the tires would ruin them as well. Remember when GM added the Cup tires on the ZR1 and Z06? They both picked up almost 10 seconds at the ring…………just from the tires. And I’m sure they would provide the same improvement for those cars.

So I am looking forward to the first threads where someone gets a set of CC brakes and puts them in a 1LE or a ZL1. It will happen. We have seen build threads with SSs getting CTS V brakes long before the ZL1 came out and I expect the same here.

And what would you have if you took ZL1 wheels and tires and put them on a Z/28 for daily use? Park those 19” Trofeos for track use. Might have issues with the wheel lip molding?? But that would certainly make the car more street able. That and add a nice stereo and you’ve fixed a few of the DD drawbacks. And CRAP, I think I just talked myself into one. LOL
I have a lot of respect in GM’s “bring whatever you want” to compare to the magazines. A great challenge. And it sure seemed to work. Even the GT-R and 911 didn’t cut it on the track and for the most part on the road as well. A lot of discussion on the AWD vs. RWD but that comes back simply to the tires. If the Nissan and Porsche also had the near race spec tires what would we have seen? I just think it’s awesome to see a Camaro in that comparison and have done well.

I don’t believe that the Z/28 is the Track King for GM. In a few more months we will see what a 650 HP 3,500 pound Corvette can do with the same CC brakes. I’m pretty sure that the C7 Z06 will mop the floor with the Z/28. Now it will also likely take the cost of a Malibu for winter driving on top of the Z/28 to procure said Z06 but if you can blow $75,000 on a car what’s another 25

So without a review or even a look at one in person I am glad the Z/28 exists, I love what it stands for and I am absolutely ok with the fact that I can’t afford one. Good for GM. Good for America. Good for The House.

Now the more pressing matter. What does purpose does The House hold now? It was started over 4 years ago to have a calm place to wait until the events of this past week. We had false starts when the ZL1 came to be and had to wait even longer. Well with nearly 15,000 posts and almost 500,000 views The House has served its original stated mission and purpose. I think it remains a calm place discuss things in a rationale manner. Somehow we have made through all those posts and views without argument, without poking, name calling or harassment. I still enjoy this little place in the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

I've taken the liberty (hope you don't mind?) of lightly editing your post, Number 3, to roughly equal my own thoughts-wishes-conclusions-hopes. And thanks for saving me an afternoon's worth of effort to arrive at roughly the same spot.

Moving forward (something all HouZe members like to do!), since it took us how many months to fashion the Z/28 into a form we eventually seemed to collectively accept (but wasn't delivered in that exact form, although it was so named with SLASH 'n all), our next mission (should we choose to accept it) may be to "oversee" the Gen-6 version, with particular emphasis on the Z/28 and with STRONG expectations that:

1) It achieves/exceeds ALL performance metrics now benchmarked...
2) At a price point where more of us can participate, because...
3) Earlier generational availability will afford a greater generational volume, with more Ultra-Perma-Grins present

As was expressed during those halcyon days of Z/28 development/discussion, GM has brought an outstanding version of Camaro to market as a stupendous "bon voyage" Model, and I look forward to the Gen-6 Camaro's arrival, particularly in Z/28 form.

As a non-original member of the HouZe (I was @ SEMA '09 swooning over the looks of the Leno Camaro, and it took awhile to recover), I want to thank the pioneers for their acceptance, their camaraderie, their patience, their shared collective knowledge and insight, their relative openness and, mostly, their laid-back respect for others' opinions and sharings. THAT, to me, is the hallmark of the HouZe...

It's "interesting" how the place has been largely devoid of trolls and inciteful-incendiary posts. Apparently "others" respect the place, as well...

SA-LUTE!

#3 I agree with you. After all this time I've decided I will get a 1LE a late 2015 model (and add some Z/28 bits)...unless the 6Gen looks to be a winner. After all I've waited this long to decide.
LD I agree with you, we move forward to design the 6Gen. Sounds fun, I'm in!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #14462
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Here is an Ashen Gray Z/28 from the Atlanta Auto Show. I don't believe this color has been posted yet. My sister took this crappy pic with her iPhone. There are a couple more but it is too late for me to walk her through how to email the rest to me. This pic was a struggle. Also it figures that she would see this car before me and didn't even know what it was. She said she knew it was a special Camaro because it was roped off. I said yeah, it's special. I could count on my brother in law to take better pictures but he drives a mustang.
Attached Images

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014