Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #15
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
You like the 2010 - 13 bodystyle........ 2013 ZL1

Most 2013 ZL1 can be had for under 40K. Insanely quick, supercharger whine is awesome, amazing brakes, Mag ride, and unique looks that people love to copy.

Also many are very low miles because people that owned them never drove them. My car was "high miles" at 31K over 3.5 years. Some can be well under 5K which is a damn new car. (This also means many included mine are sold as GM certified used which includes a warranty.)

Only downsides as a daily driver is 1) tires and 2) MPG sucks.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #16
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Considering you are willing to go up to 50k-60k... I'd look for a C6 Grand Sport.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #17
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelouise View Post
Camaro or corvette?
Camaro. Corvettes are fun, but if you really want to pack for a long trip and have some extra room to carry friends, family, the Camaro just has more room to comfortably do it in.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #18
BlackinBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Camaro. Corvettes are fun, but if you really want to pack for a long trip and have some extra room to carry friends, family, the Camaro just has more room to comfortably do it in.
The new Camaro is a ton smaller inside than the Gen 5 cars. I was shocked how much tighter it felt inside. I swear the visibility out is worse than the Gen 5. (Many reviews have stated this also.)

Gen 5 I would agree is a roomier car. Gen 6 not so much unless you are taking kids or short people in the back. Corvette has no option for 4 people but the rears seats in the Gen 6 are more like a storage shelf than seats. I personally never took anyone in the back of my Gen5 SS or ZL1 so for me that was not an issue.

When you compare them you should check trunk space. The Gen 6 was so much tighter inside that the Corvette became a better choice for me.

Gen 5 trunk = 11.3 cu feet
Gen 6 trunk = 9.10 cu feet
C7 Vette = 15 cu feet

Just my 2 cents.

Roto-Fab CAI

Roto-Fab CAI
Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
If I had to do this again, and if the car would see more use than my current 5th gen, then I probably would go for either a 14-15 1LE, or a 14-15 2SS. I would seriously consider getting a 6th gen SS, but I also would like to see Chevy develop the car a bit as well.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #20
Dadnkid

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS, 2016 Suburban
I have owned all three vehlcies: Started with a 2012 Camaro LS, then went to a 2008 Covette 1LT, to now....2015 Camaro 2SS. When I got the Camaro LS, I loved the look of the car. I came over from imports so 326 hp was a lot and for the moment, the speed was good enough for me. Until a friend from work pulled next to me in a Foose Mustang and all I saw was tail lights. Yes, I know the car was moded and mine wasn't but it was enough to have me looking for an V8. I always wanted a Corvette and came across the perfect one for my budget. It was great for the couple of months but due to increased family size, I traded it in for a Kia Sedona (my man hood was left with the sales rep). Last week, I went to the dealer and picked up 2015 Camaro 2SS. Now, we have a mini van and my Camaro. If you dont need a backseat, go with the Corvette. If you need two extra seats or just want to have the option, go with the Camaro. The Corvette pulls a little bit harder than the Camaro in my opinion but the Camaro V8 pulls hard too. The Corvette handles better. In the end, I'm happy to be in my Camaro SS. Its my daily.
Dadnkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #21
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Oh and performance isn't an issue..I'm coming from a v6 so anything v8 will be plenty for me to handle...
You say that now, but the bug will bite
Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #22
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I own both, a 2006 Corvette and a 2013 Camaro, they are both great & fun cars. A lot of comes down to your situation, do you need or want a back seat? Is going to be a toy/fun car? The Camaro doesn't compare (compete) with the Corvette in regards to handling and overall performance. My Corvette wil hit 180 with ease and handle the mountain roads (curves/corners) a heck of a lot better then my SS (bth relatively stock).

Fuel econmy, if it a concern, both suck in town, but on the interstate, the Corvette out does the the Camaro by about 4 mpg (on the interstates, I drive 80mph +). I'm sure the V6 version of the the Camaro would out do both mine.

Maintenance cost, they're about equal (IMO, experience). In the 10 years I've owned my Corvette, it's only needed one minor repair 1 year ago; my Camaro has needed one since owning it (3 years).

Insurance: I pay less then half for my Corvette then my Camaro for the same coverage -- of course the Camaro is a new model.

In the end, if you have to choose between the two, it comes down to personal situation/preference (2 versus 4 seat, looks, etc.)

Good luck in your decision ... IMO you ca'nt wrong either way
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #23
Geelouise

Drives: 2011 v6
Thank you all for the responses... As for what I need in a car I have no wife nor do I have kids...so having no back seat doesn't hurt me..plus I'm thinking I may keep my v6 in case I want a back seat,,,I've been finding a lot of corvettes arojnd me for sale.. Test drove one and the sound was music to my ears!�� But it was $43,000--2012 grand sport
Geelouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #24
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Hey guys (and gals), I'm looking to move up in the engine world and get a v8 when I bought my v6 I couldn't afford anything else. Now I've almost got it paid off and want to get something different. I plan on maybe keeping it because it's my daily driver. I've got almost 100,000 miles on it. No problems so far. I've been looking for a few months... I've got $10,000 to put down on whatever I choose. By the time I go to actually make a deal I'll probably have like $20,000. I love the 2010-2013 body style of Camaro. But I'm afraid of getting one..and it being too old..I guess that's what you'd say by the time I go to get 1.. So I thought well a 2014-2015 would be good! The 2016 ss I can't say I'd be completely happy with it but damn I love the interior. (I'm more about sound and looks than anything) a buddy of mine starting talking to me about corvettes.. He has a 2011 I think. It's a little out of date interior wise which I would want to replace seats and stuff Like you can put recaros in an older style (2011) Camaro like mine. The newest corvettes are really high in price and I feel like I couldn't afford it.. But if it was worth it maybe I could save more?

I have seen older corvettes 2009-2013 go for $30-40,000
New ones go for $60,000
And camaros from 2010-2016 for $20-50,000

So if you had the choice...what would you decide??,,, (keep in mind I MIGHT daily it)))

Camaro. Personal opinion but I don't like the C6's. I think a 10-13 is an excellent body style to go with. Those are my favorite Camaro's, i'm not a fan of the newer ones, just like I'm not a fan of the new Mustang.

Corvette: Next option is a 2014. You could possibly grab one of these in the 30's, base model. But keep in mind your insurance is going to be really high as a daily driver.

I have a kid so the Corvette is out, and yes, she has plenty of room in the back of my Mustang, just no cup holders back there for her.

You will pay more for a 2014. Base model Stingray. But you'll have fewer worries about it being beat on or modded. If you get serious and start shopping now, you'll probably find one within your budget in six months. (precisely around the time the Grand Sports ship and everyone loads up the used market with Stingrays, it will be more of a buyer's market during this time frame).

That all said. I'd opt for 2013 Camaro SS or ZL1 (if they were offered?), with money left over to upgrade the interior as you see fit. It will be paid off sooner, and if a wife or kid does come into play, you won't have to worry about selling it. The look of these cars are really nice and retro, something both Ford and Chevy are clearly moving away from.

Also the 2014 Corvettes are smaller inside, and carry less than the C6. just as the C6 was smaller inside than the C5. The C5 has bottomed out in price and definitely within your camaro budget for a low mile one, but you may be working on it from time to time. Also, C5 owners are the friendliest.

According to Tadge, the Grand Sport is where the real Corvette business is. It's been their highest volume seller every generation.

Last edited by Criticalmass; 06-15-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #25
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thank you all for the responses... As for what I need in a car I have no wife nor do I have kids...so having no back seat doesn't hurt me..plus I'm thinking I may keep my v6 in case I want a back seat,,,I've been finding a lot of corvettes arojnd me for sale.. Test drove one and the sound was music to my ears!�� But it was $43,000--2012 grand sport
I don't see why you'd need a Grand Sport, disgustingly overpriced in my opinion. It has all the perks of a Z06... without the z06 engine.

Not worth it, at all... nope.

Get yourself a nice like 08-11 LT2 or LT3 Vette. LT4's are known to be a few thousand more for BS upgrades like color upgrades in the interior. Most people stick with the LT2 or LT3's.

Vette's are the all around better vehicle, no questions asked.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #26
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I don't see why you'd need a Grand Sport, disgustingly overpriced in my opinion. It has all the perks of a Z06... without the z06 engine.

Not worth it, at all... nope.
I disagree. Its also much cheaper than a Z06. The flared out rear quarters looks WAY better than the standard vette imo. Thats something you cant buy and slap it on a standard Vette. I'm pretty sure if he holds out and searches hard enough, he can get one under 40k.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #27
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
I disagree. Its also much cheaper than a Z06. The flared out rear quarters looks WAY better than the standard vette imo. Thats something you cant buy and slap it on a standard Vette. I'm pretty sure if he holds out and searches hard enough, he can get one under 40k.
The grand sport offers better handling, braking, and downforce. The fact is, the Z06 is overpowered and even with all its extras it's real easy to lose control. Without the added HP, the GrandSport can be driven closer to the edge than a Stingray could without losing control. The GS is 2mph lower top speed over the Stingray due to the extra downforce. That's a good thing, IMO.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #28
BlackinBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalmass View Post
The grand sport offers better handling, braking, and downforce. The fact is, the Z06 is overpowered and even with all its extras it's real easy to lose control. Without the added HP, the GrandSport can be driven closer to the edge than a Stingray could without losing control. The GS is 2mph lower top speed over the Stingray due to the extra downforce. That's a good thing, IMO.
My guess is with the Aero 2 or Z07 package the GS will be a TON slower than a normal Stingray.

Stock 2014 -16 Stingray @ 460 HP = 181 mph

Stock 2015 Z06 with Z07 @ 650 HP = 185 mph

There is no way the GS will be just 2 mph slower than a Stingray it has the SAME drag as a Z06. That would assume that it takes 200 hp for 7 mph. My guess is a GS will be a ton slower. In Z07 trim I would be low 170s.

The gain is a ton of downforce which equals a massive improvement in handling. Also I would expect GS 80 mph to 100+ mph times will be a ton slower verse a standard stingray. At the same power with ton more drag there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Just to compare on the Z06 Aero 1 to Aero 3 the drag costs the car almost 15 mph and remember it has 200 hp more.

As for the Z06 being overpowered. I live in FL and I daily drive my Z06. It has rained constantly every day. I drove my car during the tropical storm which was a ton of rain. NOT ONCE have I had tire spin or the car been out of control. First the MPSS are amazing wet weather tires. Second and the most important thing is leave the nannies on, set to Weather Mode and use common sense with the throttle.

The car is not overpowered. If you can afford the Z06 buy it. A throttle is like a hose not an on/off switch. Never have I wished for less HP but I have wanted more.

Z06 makes an awesome DD. 650HP and 18 mpg average without driving softly..... hell yes. My ZL1 averaged 14.1 with the same driving.

Roto-Fab CAI

Roto-Fab CAI