Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #43
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Definitely a nice looking ride. Thumbs up from a fellow New Yorker!

Word of advice though, don't go too crazy with modding this thing up. Just take it slow and use it as a learning experience. You obviously have the mod bug and as you get older and have more money at your disposal the bug gets worse.

I modded up 2 V6 cars before I got my SS, a Maxima and a 10' V6 Camaro. Both my V6s had lots of bolt ons, even nitrous on the Max. Once you have been in the modding game long enough you will realize that unless you have a ton of cash V6 cars really just aren't worth it. Pretty much anything beyond bolt ons will cost you serious coin and reduces drive-ability while also highly increasing the chance of breaking.

You can still do basic, cheap and easy to remove parts like mufflers and an intake but stay away from tunes, headers, extensive suspension mods beyond coil overs or springs, transmission mods, etc. You will eventually want to get the V8 whether it be a Camaro or Mustang so save for that IMO. A tune alone on a bone stock new 5.0 or SS will net you more WHP than full bolts + tune will give you on most V6 cars.

Good luck!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #44
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAZ1990 View Post
was that reply REALLY necessary, very mature you are acting as if my car is hideous, which it is not you do not see me using that icon for you, very mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Definitely a nice looking ride. Thumbs up from a fellow New Yorker!

Word of advice though, don't go too crazy with modding this thing up. Just take it slow and use it as a learning experience. You obviously have the mod bug and as you get older and have more money at your disposal the bug gets worse.

I modded up 2 V6 cars before I got my SS, a Maxima and a 10' V6 Camaro. Both my V6s had lots of bolt ons, even nitrous on the Max. Once you have been in the modding game long enough you will realize that unless you have a ton of cash V6 cars really just aren't worth it. Pretty much anything beyond bolt ons will cost you serious coin and reduces drive-ability while also highly increasing the chance of breaking.

You can still do basic, cheap and easy to remove parts like mufflers and an intake but stay away from tunes, headers, extensive suspension mods beyond coil overs or springs, transmission mods, etc. You will eventually want to get the V8 whether it be a Camaro or Mustang so save for that IMO. A tune alone on a bone stock new 5.0 or SS will net you more WHP than full bolts + tune will give you on most V6 cars.

Good luck!
I am not planing on going wild with mods, most of the things I have planned for are:

Dual exhaust conversion (if the 10 and up cars have it why not the 05 to 09 cars?)
cold air intake with tune
replacing rear fascia with GT one so I can have the nice dual cut outs, I like how the exhausts poke out from those fascias instead of peaking out from under it like the one on mine, plus it will go good with the GT front fascia and grille I have now.
replacing cracked/scraped 'pony package' rear wing with a GT raised one.
replacing the flat/satin black side cladding with body color GT ones

the one thing I would love to do but just do not have the talent/skill is to replace the rear end so both wheels turn at the same time.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #45
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
CenterForce DYAD Dual Disc Clutch, JDP stage 2 Clutch Reservoir, Rotofab CF CAI with Big Gulp and WW Reservoir Relocate, Stainess Works LT Headers and Retro Cat-Back with Cat Delete, MGW ST Shifter with custom Knob, CF Tail light Bezels, more to come...
Build Thread for my Z is in the works.....
PonyKiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #46
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyKiller74 View Post
Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #47
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I love all the third graders in this thread. Nice ride op. I feel sorry for fan boys. They are really missing out on other experiences. I really don't understand how one could be a car guy and only like one brand.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #48
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

it boggles the mind motor, I personally like ALL cars camaros/mustangs, if it has 4 wheels and looks cool I like it. I have had a camaro before (the previously mentioned 88 coupe with a throttle body fuel injected 305 V8) and I have to say the mustang is way more fun and way faster even if it is only a six, it is a six that is more powerful than a LOT of V8 engines that were in the 80s cars. honestly if I had the $$$ I would get a 5th gen camaro, or a nice 3rd/4th gen. So I have a mustang, big deal, I just do not get the 'you bought one of those, dear god why would you?' type of attitudes *shakes head*.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #49
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Looks nice! I like all muscle cars, but I like camaros more haha. I was actually thinking of buying a challenger for a beater car (would most likely get babied too)
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #50
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
was that reply REALLY necessary, very mature you are acting as if my car is hideous, which it is not you do not see me using that icon for you, very mature.

I am not planing on going wild with mods, most of the things I have planned for are:

Dual exhaust conversion (if the 10 and up cars have it why not the 05 to 09 cars?)
cold air intake with tune
replacing rear fascia with GT one so I can have the nice dual cut outs, I like how the exhausts poke out from those fascias instead of peaking out from under it like the one on mine, plus it will go good with the GT front fascia and grille I have now.
replacing cracked/scraped 'pony package' rear wing with a GT raised one.
replacing the flat/satin black side cladding with body color GT ones

the one thing I would love to do but just do not have the talent/skill is to replace the rear end so both wheels turn at the same time.
Personally i did not like the GT rear fascia... if you need to save a few $$$ you can simply trim your current fascia for duals... there are template out there.. Here's how mine turned out...

If you want to add a limited slip differential the best thing to do is find a 8.8" take off with the LSD and gears installed.. it's a pretty straight forward swap. Do it after you get your tuner so you can adjust the gear ratio when you load your tune....

Without a tune the torque management crap basically prevents you from spinning the tires! It's amazing how much low end torque you can pick up with just a tune!!! Can't seem to find my dyno sheet from 2005...LOL But tune alone does wonders...

So pre-tune the car would not spin it's tires at all, even POWER BRAKING!!! LOL! Add a tune and some 4.10s... and...

You might also want to head over to the Mustang Collective forum... lots of good 4.0 stuff there...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #51
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

nice info I am already a member of 'the collective' (same user name, save avatar). yeah that rear end swap is one of the future things I wanna do. but already have the GT front clip and GT rear wing and got a set of GT side skirts so swapping the rear fascia will complete the look in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #52
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
I did the rear bumper swap on my wife's 2006 Mustang when it was only a few months old then went with a true dual exhaust with an X pipe and manual GT Mustang mufflers (new takeoffs). For some reason Ford put more restrictive mufflers on the auto GTs.

My wife's 2006 V6 auto Mustang after installing a CAI, dual exhaust & tune put down ~230rwhp on a dyno. I'll post the dyno sheet when I find it. With these mods + the 4.10 T-Lock full throttle 1-2 & 2-3 shifts would pitch the car sideways a bit along with some loud tires screeching. Really make it a fun car to drive & I do miss it.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #53
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Nice ride op....we only go around once
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #54
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

yeah I would much rather have the GT bumper than to cut out the openings on the V6 model's. it is not something i am planning on doing till before I put in the dual exhaust but I will have Flowmaster mufflers not Ford ones.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 AM   #55
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
(same user name, save avatar)
Surprised 3 pages down no one asked for a bigger version of that avatar yet
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #56
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

it is just a random pic I found when I was searching for 'black mustang' for a background for my computer and the fact the car in the pic looks identical to mine from the front I chose it .