#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2024, 09:40 AM   #1
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Maybe this will change some minds

Just to show GM is responding to customer demand not the government.

This was a likely outcome if EV adoption rate was slower than anticipated and it is.

Still maintaining the 2035 target.

But a major course correction. No timeframe for the first vehicle, but likely a couple of years would be my guess.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...2ce67baa&ei=99
Old 01-30-2024, 09:45 AM   #2
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
It won't change minds, but it is what's happening in reality.

Even the Bolt outsold the Camaro in 2023.

GM explored hybrids (not plug in, IIRC) a while back in the mid-oughts with a Tahoe and Silverado. They didn't do well because of cost and other factors, one being it was pretty early in the game for a light truck to have hybrid tech.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:48 AM   #3
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

This was a likely outcome if EV adoption rate was slower than anticipated and it is.

But a major course correction. No timeframe for the first vehicle, but likely a couple of years would be my guess.

This is what they should have been doing from the word GO. There were plenty of viable options that could have improved fuel economy and given the general public time to improve the electric grid, adopt alternative energy sources, etc....

For example, CNG vehicles would still infinitely be a better choice for the next 20 years compared to EV... and there's really a market there for performance vehicles too...

Instead, they wanted to focus on trying to force feed something most people don't want, most people can't afford, and most of all, the vast majority of the world can't support fully..
Old 01-30-2024, 09:49 AM   #4
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I'd entertain a high-performance hybrid V8 Z Camaro, in a similar footprint to the E-Ray. Harder acceleration, maybe some fuel efficiency along the way, still have that V8 grunt and growl? Signing up for at least a test drive if it doesn't look like total ass.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:56 AM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
It's hard to ignore stats like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe is now the best-selling hybrid in America. GM would be/have been wise to chase that segment.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:59 AM   #6
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Even Mr. Reuss chimed in.

I’m not against the idea of a hybrid camaro like an ERay. Full EV, I’m totally against for a sports car.

Toyota is probably in the sky seats saying “we told you so”.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2024, 10:05 AM   #7
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post

I’m not against the idea of a hybrid camaro like an ERay. Full EV, I’m totally against for a sports car.

Even offering a fully electric model as an option would still have been a better choice than dropping the model all together. Think of it as the 4 cylinder option or the hybrid model.

While I'm not in the market for an EV, I'm sure many would have opted for a Mustang/Camaro EV in a heart beat....

Again, include it as a model option instead of just going 1000000% into EV only..
Old 01-30-2024, 10:35 AM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
This is what they should have been doing from the word GO. There were plenty of viable options that could have improved fuel economy and given the general public time to improve the electric grid, adopt alternative energy sources, etc....

For example, CNG vehicles would still infinitely be a better choice for the next 20 years compared to EV... and there's really a market there for performance vehicles too...

Instead, they wanted to focus on trying to force feed something most people don't want, most people can't afford, and most of all, the vast majority of the world can't support fully..
It's still not clear where this "force fed" stuff is coming from.

GM, to it's credit, has not replaced a single vehicle with an EV. EVERY EV has been a plus model and a free choice for the customer. They are building Blazer AND Blazer EV at the same time, Silverado and Sierra same. Equinox as well. GMC Hummer? Plus model. Lyriq? Plus model. So no one is being force fed anything. Now down the road if and when GM goes 100% EV, maybe a different discussion. Just not today. But by then EVs will likely be far better in all regards, cost, range and charge time will be much improved and being anti EV at that point will be like being anti iPhone.

CNG had it's shot too. Honda and GM (Civic and Impala) built them and many trucking fleets still use CNG. It just never caught on. And again, no infrastructure for CNG. Time to fuel might an advantage over an EV right now. But it would be a cleaner fuel.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:38 AM   #9
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Even offering a fully electric model as an option would still have been a better choice than dropping the model all together. Think of it as the 4 cylinder option or the hybrid model.

While I'm not in the market for an EV, I'm sure many would have opted for a Mustang/Camaro EV in a heart beat....

Again, include it as a model option instead of just going 1000000% into EV only..
For sure, let customers have choices. Thankfully it looks like GM, Ford. Etc are understanding.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:43 AM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post

Toyota is going pretty much all in on EVs as well. Lexus has 3 and Toyota 1 EVs in production. More on the way and they have been more public on solid state battery development.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:06 AM   #11
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

PHEV meets the requirements for CA in 2035. An added bonus.

“California is only requiring that all NEW cars sold in 2035 and beyond are zero-emission vehicles which includes battery electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, and fuel cell electric vehicles.”

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/doc...ked-questions#
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:27 AM   #12
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
This is ridiculous, EVs don't care what the power source is, hydroelectric, wind, solar, nuclear, coal, natural gas, etc. That's the part that makes them so viable, so flexible, as the grid keeps getting upgraded and peak charging is during the "off time", so to speak. 100% solution? Of course not, but for a vast majority of drivers, it makes a lot more sense...than CNG, lol.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:29 AM   #13
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
PHEV meets the requirements for CA in 2035. An added bonus.

“California is only requiring that all NEW cars sold in 2035 and beyond are zero-emission vehicles which includes battery electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, and fuel cell electric vehicles.”

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/doc...ked-questions#
Sounds like CA is starting to fudge the issue. PHEV's are certainly low emission vehicles but are equally certainly not zero emissions vehicles. Reality may be slowly starting to sink in.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:35 AM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
maybe this will change some minds
Maybe it will change some minds that GM is not going to offer the customers the options we want....so I agree with you there.

But in my mind it just feels like spectacular validation to what I've been saying for a long time now....Hybrids are the answer!!! ...more specifically...plug in hybrids. At least, until we come up with a viable solution for all the issues that plague current EVs. If we want the fastest way to reduce emissions now, hybrid is the answer.

The full EV huggers will say "But it doesn't eliminate tail pipe emissions, it doesn't go far enough" Well how much further than eliminating tail pipe emissions by somewhere between 75 to 90 percent of regular driving do we need to go? Most people will be able get to and from work/stores/errands without using much if any gas. Goodbye range anxiety. Goodbye huge heavy expensive batteries. Goodbye to the huge use of limited rare earth materials for one single large battery. Goodbye to the urgency to spend billions of dollars expanding charging stations across America as fast as possible.

If GM had committed to vastly widening their Voltec platform to their other cars and small/mid SUVs instead of killing it altogether, they'd be in a better place today and they could call themselves the most "green" car company in existence. I'm pretty much convinced if the Volt wasn't a small sedan, but rather a modern small/mid-size SUV thing it would have sold well.

Voltec like platform in a nice looking CUV the size of an Equinox = printing money.