Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #43
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDevilsG View Post
I have never heard ANY Camaro sound bad, mister. I'm only messing around too. Look, OP, if you have the money go for the V8. But you'll find lots of people (such as myself) that think 330HP on the roads in sports mode are more than enough.
LMAO! I know... and I have a few buddies who have 6ers with... IIRC MRT v2.0? and it sounds AWESOME!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #44
M_Knife_Shamylan
Book Learner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT, 1999 Tahoe 2Dr.
I've got a V6 and I love it in every aspect, excluding sound. There just is no substitute for that V8 rumble. As a college kid who sounds a little like your brother was, I'm sure he'll be happy with any new Camaro. Heck, I started out in a '96 intrepid and I loved it even.

Consider keeping around the LS1 and get a V6 is what I would say, then he can tinker on the old girl as she needs repairs.
M_Knife_Shamylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #45
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
How the he'll does he have 66 hours already? Most AP classes are 4 credit hours. That's 14 AP classes either or I'm impressed.
meh, with IB programs you can get ridiculous hours. I started with somewhere in the 50 credit hours.

Of course, if the OP is going to medical school, then like me he will most likely have to retake almost all of those credits.

And that's why I have 150 credits already and only am a 3rd year lol. Stupid university is trying to kick me out!
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #46
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Thanks for responses... He did research at the bio science institute here and he's been in it since a sophomore. Both universities are accepting all his hours... He'll be published on some medical research and he has slaved to get where he is.

Cool! Well, it's still mom and dads wallet. Sounds like an lfx is a good route. Thanks for all the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #47
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post

Cool! Well, it's still mom and dads wallet. Sounds like an lfx is a good route. Thanks for all the help.
putting the "mines bigger than yours" thing aside, like many have said,you can't really go wrong with either. even with the V6, it's a 323HP RWD pony car.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #48
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
I say go for the SS. He sounds like a super responsible great kid. He should be spoiled. I certainly appears that he does appreciate a good thing when he gets it and will take care of it.

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #49
CSM088

Drives: 1981 Z28 // 2010 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDevilsG View Post
Lol.

If the torque and sound of a V6 Camaro is "sufficient" enough for me and a handful of other people who have already posted in this thread, why wouldn't it be for a kid who just graduated highschool? Some people think with their wallets instead of their brains. People underestimate how powerful the LFX engine is.
.........because he's already driving a Z-28?? Don't facepalm me cause you want to stick up for your car. I admitted the V6 is a great machine, so you don't have to take it personally. But you're absolutely incorrect if you're going to try and sell its torque or its (lol) sound against an LS1.

The bottom line is that the car is great if you don't want the V8. But if you're asking the question now - 6 or 8, our opinion (since he is asking) is to go for an SS. Thanks but in my opinion the SS sounds just as good to me as it would to a high school graduate, I'm not sure why that matters. I really don't think, given what we know of this young man, age is going to be an issue.
CSM088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #50
montyhp

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Red Jewel w/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlack View Post
UT Austin or A&M? That's like Camaro or Mustang. Can't get any further apart.

He has proven he is a responsible young man. No doubt insurance rates and gas prices will not be a concern.

Get him an SS.
Of course you can't buy it for him until he narrows down his choice of school.

(When I was at the dealer looking at an IOM, the salesman said I must have gone to UT. He lost a sale and I immediately started looking for Red Jewel or Crystal Red).

Of course, now I should get IOM with blue stripes:

BS: University of Portland 1987
MS: Texas A&M 1993
PhD: (Hopefully) UTSA/UTHSCSA 2014
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #51
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
You guys seriously think it's a good idea to give an 18-year old a 400 HP car? I thought your family was supposed to be smart. How long until this college student drinks and thinks one short trip in his car will be OK? Why even take that chance? He may have earned admittance into college, but it doesn't sound to me like he's earned a powerful car. He's only been driving for a brief amount of time. Insurance is high for 18-year-olds for a reason.
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #52
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post

not to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but do keep in mind he's 18 yrs old, and seems to really be on the ball. might be better to play it safe. he is still just a kid.
when i was 18 i was on my second sports car. which was a 2010 camaro SS, which by the time i was 19 it had a cam in it. over 500 HP. never raced, dont care to race. my dad made it very clear you get street racing ticket the car is gone. i was not about to be young and not driving this car. not going to happen! so i stay out of trouble.

this kid seems very reasonable. i have found that kids with the expensive cars seem to care more and are more responsible. again SOME kids.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #53
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore68 View Post
You guys seriously think it's a good idea to give an 18-year old a 400 HP car? I thought your family was supposed to be smart. How long until this college student drinks and thinks one short trip in his car will be OK? Why even take that chance? He may have earned admittance into college, but it doesn't sound to me like he's earned a powerful car. He's only been driving for a brief amount of time. Insurance is high for 18-year-olds for a reason.

We are only going by what the OP has posted and from what we read if he has been responsible with his LS1 then there is absolutely no reason he won't be responsible with the LS3. The two cars produce relatively the same performance numbers because of the weight difference and any short trip in any car after drinking isn't a smart idea.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #54
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
I am going to go a different direction with this...

If he is as responsible as you say... I have no reason not to believe you... and making the HUGE assumption money is not a issue...

I would say go with the SS... and not because I am of the "my V8 rules and a V6 sucks"... not at all... becuase the kid has OBVIOUSLY made some GREAT accomplishments for his age, get him the SS. I am not taking ANYTHING away from a V6 so anyone reading this... if you are one of those Team LLT guys... just keep quiet.

Thats my 2 cents and it has nothing to do with the power of the 8 over the 6...

You asked about an LS -vs- LT... not much difference really... wheels and a few options.

I completely agree. GET THE SS. He will feel a noticeable difference coming from the LS1. He already showed that he can be responsible. I would trust him with a Ferrari.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #55
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001B4C View Post
I am going to say it... Being in college (driving it everyday) it stinks having to put gas in the V8 every week. I would recommend a V6 with the RS package - gets you the SS look (minus that stupid mail slot) and it saves you money on gas. Upgrade to the SS or ZL1 after college - nice cars are targets on college lots too

Except that the difference between the 6 and 8 aren't very different. Take a look around this forum. You'll be paying what? $25 more a month to run the V8? That's nothing.

The fact of the matter is, people should choose the 6 or the 8 depending on their needs. If you get an 8 and never use the power, then what's the point?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #56
v6needluv2

Drives: 2011 Victory Red LS
Im 18 and I absolutely love my v6, it is a great first car. Ofcourse I would love to have gotten an SS but my family could not afford the v8, if I could have gotten the SS i would have in a heartbeat. Whether he gets the v6 or v8 he will love it either way, it is a great car no matter the engine
v6needluv2 is offline   Reply With Quote