Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
RickErnst
Rick's6inNJ

Drives: 2017 Vert 2LT RS V6
Vert Roof Leaking After it Rained...

Finally had a chance to drive my car after a day of rain yesterday (about a month old now), and while driving, especially during turns, water would drip into the car on both sides by the windshield, but also on the passenger side at the first hinge for the folding mechanism, right about where your shoulder would be. It's almost as though there is a channel that fills with water and then drips out when you make a turn. It was not actually raining at the time.

Does anyone else have that happening? Is it a design flaw? Is there a simple fix at the dealer?

I have searched the forum and no mention of this issue. Only the drip when you open the window at a drive-through, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

RickErnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Water leaks were a more common problem with early 5th Gen convertibles but Chevy seemed to get them worked out by the end of the 2012 build cycle. I haven't had any water leaks with my current 6th Gen or my previous 5th Gen convertible. I don't recall seeing many complaints about 6th Gen water leaks on the forum so I don't think it is a common problem.

Mold became a problem for many of the early 5th Gen convertibles with more serious leaks. A few drips here and there aren't likely to be a problem but if there is enough leakage to pool water on the floor then it could mold. You will want to make an appointment with your dealer to get this resolved before it turns into a bigger issue. Hopefully it is just a problem with the seals that can be quickly adjusted.

Good luck!
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Water leaks were a more common problem with early 5th Gen convertibles but Chevy seemed to get them worked out by the end of the 2012 build cycle. I haven't had any water leaks with my current 6th Gen or my previous 5th Gen convertible. I don't recall seeing many complaints about 6th Gen water leaks on the forum so I don't think it is a common problem.

Mold became a problem for many of the early 5th Gen convertibles with more serious leaks. A few drips here and there aren't likely to be a problem but if there is enough leakage to pool water on the floor then it could mold. You will want to make an appointment with your dealer to get this resolved before it turns into a bigger issue. Hopefully it is just a problem with the seals that can be quickly adjusted.

Good luck!
^^ EXCELLENT answer right there....... I also suggest making an appointment with your Dealer and getting this resolved ASAP.......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Also I'd suggest a roll-on treatment with 303 protectant. Use a $8 mini-paint roller kit from walmart ... don't spray it on.

Had my car sit for hours in the rain (not on purpose of course), and water was beading and rolling off the roof as well as from my filmed+coated+reloaded paint.

For about $35 and an hour of work it's worth every penny.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
RickErnst
Rick's6inNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Also I'd suggest a roll-on treatment with 303 protectant. Use a $8 mini-paint roller kit from walmart ... don't spray it on.

Had my car sit for hours in the rain (not on purpose of course), and water was beading and rolling off the roof as well as from my filmed+coated+reloaded paint.

For about $35 and an hour of work it's worth every penny.

Makes sense and I will most likely do that but I think my problem is more about the mechanism and hard parts of the roof than the fabric allowing water in. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I have an appointment at the dealer in the morning. Let' see what they say.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
FASTNUF

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 White Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickErnst View Post
Makes sense and I will most likely do that but I think my problem is more about the mechanism and hard parts of the roof than the fabric allowing water in. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I have an appointment at the dealer in the morning. Let' see what they say.
Did your dealer find anything wrong?

Washed mine today and no leaks. I too used what Gunkk used for the fabric protection but sprayed it on. I covered most of the car to apply, but make sure that you use in a well ventilated area because the 303 protectant is some strong stuff to breath. I think I will roll on a second coat soon to make sure I have extra good protection.
FASTNUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
I’ve been in some what felt like a hurricane where I couldn’t see the end of my hood. Afraid to pull off the freeway as I didn’t want to get hit. Slowed down and followed the white edge line. Only leak I’ve had in my 17 was around the sat. Antenna on trunk lid. Open trunk and about half gallon of water would pour out around it. Dealer replaced the antenna and gasket and all is dry.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
RickErnst
Rick's6inNJ

Visited the dealer last Saturday. It wasn't raining at the time so they asked me to bring it in when or right after it rains to see if for themselves. They documented everything in their system so I am covered in the long run if it becomes a real problem. The service manager thinks the rubber gasket may be misaligned but wants to see it in action. I'll update the thread once I am able to fulfill his wishes...
Old 10-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
Bigdog9586

Quote:
Visited the dealer last Saturday. It wasn't raining at the time so they asked me to bring it in when or right after it rains to see if for themselves. They documented everything in their system so I am covered in the long run if it becomes a real problem. The service manager thinks the rubber gasket may be misaligned but wants to see it in action. I'll update the thread once I am able to fulfill his wishes...
That’s bull. Tel l them to take it to the local 25 cent car wash and see it anytime.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Wow - they dont have a hose?
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
RickErnst
Rick's6inNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
That’s bull. Tel l them to take it to the local 25 cent car wash and see it anytime.
Funny you say that. I did exactly that this past weekend and no leaks at all. (and I wish it was 25 cents...)

Now I'm not sure if there really is a problem. We are supposed to get serious rain here today so time will tell.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
Bigdog9586

Maybe it’s leaking up from the road spray somewhere.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #13
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Funny you say that. I did exactly that this past weekend and no leaks at all. (and I wish it was 25 cents...)

Now I'm not sure if there really is a problem. We are supposed to get serious rain here today so time will tell.
The body may be flexing ever so slightly while on the road causing the problem. Just a thought on why you might have an issue while driving and not at a car wash.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote