Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-21-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
Paratrooper

Drives: 2 sad communter cars.
I decided on a Challenger

I've been weighing my choices between cars, and today I test drove a 2SS-1LE and an A8 Scat Pack Challenger.

The Challenger, while far from being a track/sports car, won for me overall. I love power, the interior, the style and it has much more room for my family.

I'm not a brand loyalist, and I greatly appreciate the friendly and helpful members here who answered all my questions about new Camaros.

Ironically I had tons of problems in the past with some of the forum members on challengertalk, but obviously getting the car I want trumps whatever online bad experiences I've had.

I'll probably still be around because I still like all American muscle, but once I buy my Challenger more time will be spend on Challenger related topics.

Thanks again everyone, and I hope the 2016 Camaro rocks! It's just way too long for me to wait to find out.

Peace
Paratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #2
MadOven

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
Congrats on the buy. I love the look and ride of the challengers, and the interior just feels at home to me. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
NC_Nole

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
Enjoy your new ride and thanks for your service.
NC_Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Thread Moved to the proper section
Old 12-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Congrats on a great purchase. It must have been a tough choice between the two, both have their strengths. If you read the other Scatpack thread here one just ran a 12:14 completely stock. Have fun and post some pictures. The reason I love this site is that for the most part the members here seem to appreciate cars regardless of brand.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Congrats wish I had enough cash to own all of the great muscle cars out there.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Paratrooper

Drives: 2 sad communter cars.
A point of clarification guys, I haven't bought it yet. I have 15K saved and another 26K-sh coming to me after the first, and then after that I'm pulling the trigger.

Maybe before that. I'm going to talk to USAA on Monday about delayed payments and whether I can get the loan now and give them a huge chunk toward the principle after the first.
Paratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
96MrBass

Drives: GM
There's a few ZL1's out there also with some very good pricing right now.
With that kind of down payment you would be in real good shape. Good luck.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
One thing about the Challengers is you don't see your self coming and going.

With 500,000 5th Gens....well...
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
Nice car choice. You mentioned family and I think the Challenger has more backseat room. In my Camaro NOBODY sits behind me. I'm 6' and the seat has about 4" to the backseat (and there is no way my knee comes within 6+ inches of the key fob, anybody that does must be sitting with their chest in the steering wheel). I really liked the looks of the Challenger when it came out. But after the Camaro debuted it when to number 1. If there wasn't a Camaro, I would own the Challenger. But, the handling of the 1LE is awesome. BTW, kids out of the house so it is a two seater for me.
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
I've been weighing my choices between cars, and today I test drove a 2SS-1LE and an A8 Scat Pack Challenger.

The Challenger, while far from being a track/sports car, won for me overall. I love power, the interior, the style and it has much more room for my family.

I'm not a brand loyalist, and I greatly appreciate the friendly and helpful members here who answered all my questions about new Camaros.

Ironically I had tons of problems in the past with some of the forum members on challengertalk, but obviously getting the car I want trumps whatever online bad experiences I've had.

I'll probably still be around because I still like all American muscle, but once I buy my Challenger more time will be spend on Challenger related topics.

Thanks again everyone, and I hope the 2016 Camaro rocks! It's just way too long for me to wait to find out.

Peace
I can't blame you. The Challenger is a great looking car and while it has some problems, so does a Camaro. I vastly prefer the Challenger's interior, myself, and as you mention that extra rooms helps the family.

I hope you post some pics. If I could have gotten a deal close to my 1SS on a Challenger, I might be driving a white Challenger with a 'KWLSKI' license plate.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you may want to check on the repair history on true delta of dodge products first.......... and think about if you want to mod the car in the future what pains it entails..... and think about things like if ...say a car has a iron block and aluminum heads now often one might have to take the valve covers off and retighten all the head bolts, etc... and well being a hemi head if it has basically couple little cams on top of the heads that operate the valves like old hemis..... just a few things to think about as iron and aluminum do expand and contract at different rates and head bolts tend to walk out eventually on iron block and aluminum head cars such as the srt8 hellcat ...I know I am a old hot rodder, and then you can check into the problems most challengers or other things like chargers have had happen. ANd from what I saw their track record is........ http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability not that they have the challenger on there..... as I guess not enough people joined like Zero , and yet enough I have read says dodge leads the pack in repair trips........ big time over chevy and yes ford too. http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm

SO good luck to you the new hemis are weirder than the old hemis...... can you say 16 spark plugs? weird the way they can make things change over time, and hope you do not have displacement on demand...... http://www.allpar.com/mopar/SRT-V8.html here read up some on hemi rods or hemiroids as we called them, there are many from the 5.7 in the r/t and stuff and they well..... all look like they are cast iron block and aluminum heads and heavy like the car. Not that I do not like the appearance of the challenger or the mustang, I just did a lot of homework to know I picked the right car for longevity, ease of build, and good looks, back seat not so much...but the same is said for the mustang, and well you don't want to get into building dual over head cammed expensive rubber band timed coyote dropping do yah? I didn't and being a old hot rodder think about it..... who made the most popular engines that were retrofitted to other brands........ who is still currently making the most popular engine being retrofitted into hotrods more than any other... the LS series is that just as the small and big bock chevys were and are...... Just putting in my ten cents, there is a reason Camaros have been so popular out selling the competition especially the challenger by so far.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3

That's why I went with head studs instead of bolts on my 462
Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Congrats. If the new Camaro doesn't blow me a way I think I see a chally in my future after I pay off the gen5.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote