Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Microphone

I want to seriously improve my autocross game next season. No, not my times, not my skill .. but my videos (I can already feel the jealousy).

I know how bad all on-camera audio is, so I had it in mind to get myself a cam with provisions for an external microphone. On the GoPro side, you have to go with the most-expensive version and the reviews are mediocre at best, so I went with a highly rated knock-off (the Yi Lite) and am going to record audio separately and merge the two later in post.

I got the Yi Lite for Christmas, and ordered a cheapo Amazon external mic ($40) immediately thereafter. I received it yesterday, but mounting it to either the back bumper or my license plate frame results in massive distortion as my entirely stock 1LE is far too loud for this mic to handle.

I moved it into the trunk on the way to work this morning, but its still too loud and I lose the crisp clarity of it being outside. So I'm going to be shopping for a better mic.

I did some Google Fu'ing, and found that Rode makes some quality mics and this one apparently is used by a few car-guys with excellent reviews. Anyone have any other recommendations before I pull the trigger on this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BFSRH95CGMJ94F
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Following

I was going to get the Olympus ME-52S Stereo Microphone after others on this forum recommended it for doing the same this you are trying to do. I have no experience with it though as I have not got one yet, interesting to see what others say about this
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Does it get any crazy wind noise like every GoPro camera? Try mounting it inside the trunk area right where the battery is. Under the spare cover.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Billy, I messed around with a few microphones for the same in car recording purpose and came up with the same issue.. seem just about every mic that I tried distorted from the exhaust. I found that some microphones don’t distort until you rev the car etc..ok play back in some but not real clear. I heard that the Rode or Road microphone does work the best but haven’t tried it yet. Please let me know if you do find a good audio recording microphone. Thanks Jay
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Does it get any crazy wind noise like every GoPro camera? Try mounting it inside the trunk area right where the battery is. Under the spare cover.
Wind noise is pretty easy to defeat with a Chewbaca cover:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Amic+wind+muff

My cheapo $40 mic came with one and I had the car up to 70mph with it on heard more tire noise than wind.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
Billy, I messed around with a few microphones for the same in car recording purpose and came up with the same issue.. seem just about every mic that I tried distorted from the exhaust. I found that some microphones don’t distort until you rev the car etc..ok play back in some but not real clear. I heard that the Rode or Road microphone does work the best but haven’t tried it yet. Please let me know if you do find a good audio recording microphone. Thanks Jay
Will do. I'm definitely excited for this project.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
Dixon Racing

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot
I use the rode directional mic with my canon T3i. I'm pretty sure it's this one
http://www.rode.com/microphones/videomicpro

I've recorded drag racing events and dyno runs with it and it works really well. Since it's directional it doesn't pick up sounds behind or to the sides, just straight ahead. I want to do the same thing you have in mind but I haven't tried it with the go pro yet. I also use a wind screen on it and there's no wind noise.

It has a decibel adjuster on it either -10db, 0, or +20db. So in your trunk you can try -10 or 0 since the exhaust is so loud. Anyway I recommend this mic, good luck with your project.
Dixon Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
Dixon Racing

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot
Also, be careful of Amazon. Some people are claiming they received knock-offs that don't work right. I forgot where I bought mine but I think it was straight from Rode.
Dixon Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
Billy10mm

I don't want to record from the trunk as the trunk muffles the noise (you lose a lot of the highs). I'm going to create a bracket and try to mount this securely to the same screws that mount the rear license plate. I'll do some testing before hand. I want to pick up exhaust primarily, and I'm good with getting tire squeal and rock-throwing in there. So I'll play with the direction of the mic once attached to find the best blend.

Thanks for the tip about Amazon.

And I'm going to go with the Rode Videomic (non-pro). I lose some of the features, but the PAD (decibel reduction) is still present on the non-pro so I think for my needs I'll be fine.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
@ReaperZL1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1 aka the Reaper
bump
@ReaperZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
Monte Mac

Drives: 13 1LE, 17 Sierra, 84 MonteSS,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I want to seriously improve my autocross game next season. No, not my times, not my skill .. but my videos (I can already feel the jealousy).

I know how bad all on-camera audio is, so I had it in mind to get myself a cam with provisions for an external microphone. On the GoPro side, you have to go with the most-expensive version and the reviews are mediocre at best, so I went with a highly rated knock-off (the Yi Lite) and am going to record audio separately and merge the two later in post.

I got the Yi Lite for Christmas, and ordered a cheapo Amazon external mic ($40) immediately thereafter. I received it yesterday, but mounting it to either the back bumper or my license plate frame results in massive distortion as my entirely stock 1LE is far too loud for this mic to handle.

I moved it into the trunk on the way to work this morning, but its still too loud and I lose the crisp clarity of it being outside. So I'm going to be shopping for a better mic.

I did some Google Fu'ing, and found that Rode makes some quality mics and this one apparently is used by a few car-guys with excellent reviews. Anyone have any other recommendations before I pull the trigger on this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BFSRH95CGMJ94F

I have switched from GoPro (after bad experience with them) and went to the Sony FDRX300 that has built in OPTICAL stabilization. It's MIC sucks too, but I use a Audio Technica stereo MIC (most MICs are mono).

Here's a video with the MIC mounted on the rear bumper and camera mounted off the headrest.

Camera:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-FDRX3000...sony+fdr+x3000

Mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MIC:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...ica+stereo+mic

[B]Ordered 3/8/13
TPW 4/15/13
Built 4/15/13
Bayed 4/18/13
Released from QC HOLD 5/22/13
PERMAGRIN INSTALLED 5/30/13