Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Modded car / Insurance claim help

Hey yo,

I posted this thread after I was involved in a serious hit and run yesterday:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296325

I called my insurance company and started the claim. They told me to follow-up with my office tomorrow during business hours.

I am a little apprehensive about the claim process. As you can see, I have put A LOT of money into my car.

I guess my first question is, does it look totaled? The rear end is completely smashed, and the passenger rear quarter panel is bent since the trunk lid doesn't align properly.

If it is totaled, what are my options to get as much off the car as I can? I would want to yank the wheels, supercharger, and coilovers as these are the most expensive parts. Will I have that opportunity?

If it is not totaled, how do I go about getting claim work done that puts the car back how I had it? Obviously, I will need at minimum a new cat-back.

Is there anything I should do prior to calling my insurance company tomorrow? I have never been in this situation before, and I want to reduce my losses as best possible.

Thanks for the insight.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
AlwaysAmerican

Drives: 15 Silverado, 15 Corvette 2LT Z51
Find all your receipts for the mods you've done.
Depending on your coverage these will be covered.

It's something you'll have to ask your insurance company when it comes to price. If you have the stock parts still, they may let you swap them all out and keep them before they write a check.

To me it doesn't look totaled, but that happening depends on parts, labor cost and what not. If it exceeds a certain % then it is declared a total loss.
AlwaysAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Some carriers offer custom parts coverage up to a certain dollar value, with the option to add more value for a higher premium. It is possible that without that coverage, your carrier may balk at any repairs that don't bring the car back to factory condition.

Your receipts may be enough, but you'll need to check with your insurance company to verify how they'll handle it it your particular case. If they won't cover the custom parts, they may be willing to let you scavenge the surviving custom parts off the car before repairs, if you have the stock parts to leave with the car.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Just went and looked at the pictures...I don't think its gonna be totalled.

Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
What 911medic said. Not sure if you still have the stock parts or not, if you do you could change it back to stock if it is totaled before they take it. It is always hard to tell from pics but I don't think your car will be totaled out.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
Just went and looked at the pictures...I don't think its gonna be totalled.

Good Luck.
their is no reason why that car should be totalled, good luck
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
No need to worry about it being a total loss. I've been in MANY accidents and this won't be considered totaled. Looks to be a good amount though, probably around 4-5k in damages depending on if the frame is bent too or not. Anyhow, good luck brother.
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
if you didn't notify them of the parts you put on they may not cover them. it will depend on the how your insurance company does things.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Insurance will typically pay up to 70% of the car value for repairs before totaling it. If they do total it then you can ask to be present when the car is auctioned and buy it back for a fraction of what it is actually worth.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

Last edited by BiggFoot; 05-20-2013 at 04:13 PM.
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Doesn't look totaled to me. Glad everyone is alright, yes we need to tie each of his arms and legs to a different of four Camaros and then take off in different directions, like in the old days. Horsepower drawn and quartered.

But if they don't want to pay for new mod parts, get them to give you a check and you can make up the difference. Or work with your repair shop, if the guy gets $100 for exhaust(and I realize that's no where near what we're talking about, but just for east) if he gets $100 for exhaust from the insurance company and it cost $140 to get what you had or what you want, just get him to order what you want and you pay him the difference. I did this at a Harley shop and they had no problem with it.

In my case thought it was a stock vehicle and I used to opportunity to upgrade, so a little different, I wasn't losing out on anything.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
I definitely did not pay extra insurance for the mods. I talked to a few people in the industry, and they recommend that I just keep my mouth shut and let them review the car. I should then find a shop to work with and provide them the receipts for the parts I have purchased that may have been impacted, and see what they can do.

Does this sound like a plan? Glad the car doesn't look totaled, but I want to ensure it is repaired very thoroughly. I built this car for racing, and a simple cosmetic repair will not be sufficient.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
I definitely did not pay extra insurance for the mods. I talked to a few people in the industry, and they recommend that I just keep my mouth shut and let them review the car. I should then find a shop to work with and provide them the receipts for the parts I have purchased that may have been impacted, and see what they can do.

Does this sound like a plan? Glad the car doesn't look totaled, but I want to ensure it is repaired very thoroughly. I built this car for racing, and a simple cosmetic repair will not be sufficient.

I don't know. again, depends on your insurance company. in most cases the insurance company tells the body shop what they will pay for. that's why they send out an estimator. most body shops, not wanting to loose the regular business the insurance companies send them, don't typically push the envelope with them.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
looking at your exhaust, I would say you will probably want to replace your whole exhaust system, including headers.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
LIVEVIL

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
If you have the stock parts still, they may let you swap them all out and keep them before they write a check.
There should not be any worry about an insurance company "letting" you swap the parts back to stock. Until you have a check in your hand for the final cash value payout, the vehicle is yours and you can do with it whatever you please.

That includes taking out aftermarket parts and re-installing OEM ones.

If they deem the car totalled you basically have 2 options:

- return the car to as close to stock as possible (or you want) and then give it up for a check

- give up the car as is, get a check, buy it back from the insurance company and then take out all the aftermarket goodies/part out the car.
LIVEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote