Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
usnavydoc

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3, 2012 Ford Focus SE
A good example of trying it before you knock it

From time to time my friends talk smack and say the V8 in the SS is adequate but could use more power because it is a heavy car. I am the only one amongst them driving an american muscle car. They are big fans of Japanese sports cars and rave how their cars handle and don't need big engines to go fast since they are light. Nothing wrong with that, to each their own. My thought was that they never drove an SS, so i took their opinions in with a grain of salt. I told them they should drive one before making a conclusion. They tell me to get a ZL-1

The other day, almost a month after that conversation, I took the SS for a spin and one of them came along. He owns an infiniti G37 and I let him get behind the wheel when he expressed that he never drove a car with a V8. As we headed to our destination, he pointed out that the Camaro felt heavy, the windows were too small, and was too big (whine). The road was a little wet from the fog, and some slow Prius in front of us driving 15 mph on a 35mph zone was really annoying him. So the next opening that comes up he stomps on the accelerator to pass and shifts from 1st gear to second. The result of this maneuver made the rear end of the SS break loose and begin to fish tail. I was actually surprised myself that the rear broke loose (traction control was on), but then again I never gun it during wet road conditions. Good thing he gently eased off the accelerator and the tires regained grip.

On the next stop light he pulls over. I could see him gripping the wheel so tight his knuckles were white and I laughed at his facial expression of fear. When he asked me what happened I told him he just experienced what lots of torque will do when it gives the tires more than it can handle. I politely added that it was too much car for him. He told me that a car never did that to him before.

I was just glad he didn't crash my car or pooped in his pants. Since the drive he maintains his view that the Camaro is a heavy car that doesn't handle as well as imports, but grins when raving about how fun it is to drive a car with so much torque. I drove his G37 and could see what he meant with the handling comment, as it felt more agile in the corners. Nice car, but not for me. It just doesn't bring the adrenaline rush that a car with an oversized engine brings.

He will be in for a surprise the next tine when I add a magnacharger supercharger and peddlers suspension.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
nele22

Drives: 2012 SS
To me torque is what makes driving fun. Horsepower is great but on public roads using all the ponies can get you in a world of trouble. Torque on the other hand is what sets you back in the seat and gives a car 'tude!
nele22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I traded a G35 coupe for my SS. So I have a lot of miles with both (29K on the G and now 20K on the Camaro). Based on your description of your friend and his driving skills - I'd say he's kind of a wimp. I could lay a big patch with the G on the 1-2 shift and even chirp third on dry pavement. So how he has never experienced a little tail fishing tells me he doesn't push the car he has. Of course my SS will melt the tires if I'm so inclined - got to love all that TQ!

As to handling while the G felt lighter and more agile than the SS I think it was perception more than reality. On the roads I travelled all the time with the G - I could take curves at the same speeds in the SS with confidence. You just have to trust the car. The SS holds pretty well. Since I added springs and sway bars ( $600 fix) - I have no doubt that the SS now handles much better than my old G.

Don't take any crap off your G37 and 370Z friends - unless one of them is rolling in a GTR or a Lexus LFA - or is jacked up on big boost - you have little to fear - be it in a straight line or around a curve.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks like a new G37 ranges from 3600-3800 lbs. That's not really that much lighter than an SS. Torque is where it's at! I love that pushed-back-in-the-seat feeling.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
my gf would say that i drove slow and i would gas it on my 2lt. Now when she says it, i gas it and the v8 comes alive. I look at her and say.. how about now? (i normally toss in the bitch word.. low of course)(and kidding.. lol.. )

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
usnavydoc

G37 felt lighter than 3700 lbs but looks like it isn't. I have a feeling it is the weight distribution ratio.

For me torque rules the day.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
usnavydoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beany323 View Post
my gf would say that i drove slow and i would gas it on my 2lt. Now when she says it, i gas it and the v8 comes alive. I look at her and say.. how about now? (i normally toss in the bitch word.. low of course)(and kidding.. lol.. )
LOL!