Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I think I properly used the brakes at VIR this weekend

I did manage to mess up the bedding so smeared pad material all over my rotors resulting in some pretty bad shaking once they got good and hot.

The lesson here is don't bed DTC70/60s and then street drive on them for a week before going to the track and then assuming they should be fine hopping right out on track.

I'm leaving them on for a bit to scrub off that pad material before I switch back to my street pads.

The real thing of interest here is that I now have crazing on my rotors, which I view as a badge of honor. It proves I really used the brakes this past weekend to me. These were brand new rotors before this past weekend, so just two track days on them.

1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I have to wonder how well fairly serious track pads can be bedded in on the street to begin with.

I'd consider the first session on new pads to be a throw-away for everything but bedding those pads in, and after that session is over drive around for a little longer than you otherwise might before pulling into your paddock space and shutting down.

FWIW, I've had green fade with new pads but never vibration.

Norm
Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I have to wonder how well fairly serious track pads can be bedded in on the street to begin with.

I'd consider the first session on new pads to be a throw-away for everything but bedding those pads in, and after that session is over drive around for a little longer than you otherwise might before pulling into your paddock space and shutting down.

FWIW, I've had green fade with new pads but never vibration.

Norm
I had a few guys look at them and they all said improper bedding. Now that the pads are grinding away the pad material on the rotors on the street it's becoming a bit more obvious that the material was deposited fairly uneven.

I live out in the country so I have plenty of roads where I can do lots of back to back stops, they seemed to bed pretty good for me on the street.

Using the first session though to get the brakes bedded though isn't a bad idea. Maybe a couple laps to get the transfer done and then pull in and ride around for 10 minutes or so to let them cool off before parking.

This was my last event for the year so I have plenty of time to think about it, lol.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 09-17-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
steel rotors on my ZL1 would alway craze. I did have the best luck starting with fresh new rotors and DTC 70/60 pads as you used. When I had rotors that had other pad material embedded in them, braking was mediocre at best until the glaze wore off. The DTC pads are so aggressive, that didn't take too long and braking returned to "top notch". Obviously, the best scenario is to start with new rotors and new pads and bed them as per Hawks directions.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
I had a few guys look at them and they all said improper bedding. Now that the pads are grinding away the pad material on the rotors on the street it's becoming a bit more obvious that the material was deposited fairly uneven.

I live out in the country so I have plenty of roads where I can do lots of back to back stops, they seemed to bed pretty good for me on the street.

Using the first session though to get the brakes bedded though isn't a bad idea. Maybe a couple laps to get the transfer done and then pull in and ride around for 10 minutes or so to let them cool off before parking.

This was my last event for the year so I have plenty of time to think about it, lol.
There's a road maybe a couple of miles from my house where I've bedded new pads for years. Up to performance street pads it's been entirely adequate, but beyond that it's strictly hit or miss. I had a 'miss' on a set of XP8's early-on in 2014, ending up getting into a little green fade on the last couple of hard stops in the first track session. No chatter, just noticeably less deceleration for about the same pedal effort than on the previous lap. Taking session #1 as a warm-up for everything including (or maybe especially) me was probably a wise decision that day.

I normally do ride around for at least a couple of minutes after coming off the track. There isn't as much metal in my 12.4" & 11.8" rotors as you have in your 14's, and the difference in car weight isn't enough to fully compensate. But I'd probably do the same even if I did have the GT500's 14's.

Norm
Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
Destructo09

Yeah, I always ride around the paddock for a bit to get them cooled off to prevent the pads becoming stuck to the rotors or warping, etc.

It's not taking long for these pads to scrape off the deposits, but boy are they noisy and dusty, lol. I can't wait to get them off and slap my street pads back in.

I'm going to let the 70s/60s scrape off the pad deposits and then re-bed my stop techs like they were new.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 09-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
I wonder if it's like the more race pad it is the more you shouldn't use it on the street. I like the HT-10s from Hawk a lot since I street drive them but seems like the first real bedding was on the track after a couple thousand miles use. I really don't think you should drive these DTC 70s on the street.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
My track pads cold have far more bite than any minivan or most any other street car. No buildup and no noise. Just ridiculous dust. And no issues bedding and rebedding by swapping to a street pad inbetween.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
My track pads cold have far more bite than any minivan or most any other street car. No buildup and no noise. Just ridiculous dust. And no issues bedding and rebedding by swapping to a street pad inbetween.
Keep in mind until your DTC 70/60 pads get hot, they are really hard, hard enough to cause rapid rotor wear, but you already know that. I posted for those that don't.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
Synner

I've got cobalt frictions, and I'd rather lose rotor life than my life swapping pads every track day. Because race car.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
Synner

And honestly I think its a wash between keeping them on and scrubbing and rebedding pads constantly
Old 09-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #12
JusticePete

Never heard of them ;-)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
Synner

But what about my track pad options with zero brake dust? I read about them on the internet? Bonjour!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
But what about my track pad options with zero brake dust? I read about them on the internet? Bonjour!
I get those from Magic Jack.