Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Want to Confirm I can replace ZL1 Calipers with AC Delco CTS-V Calipers

Looking to put yellow calipers on my ZL1.

Ideally I would like to have a second set painted yellow rather than painting the existing calipers. That way if I don't like the yellow I can easily revert back to the OEM color. Problem is to purchase a second set of ZL1 calipers new is going to cost around $3600. Yikes!

I see were Amazon sells yellow AC Delco CTS-V calipers (part#172-2521, 172-2522) for $289 each for the fronts and $183 each for the rears. Quite a far cry from the cost of the OEM ZL1 calipers.

Now all my research says you can swap the ZL1 calipers with the CTS-V calipers from the '09 and up model years. Can anyone confirm this? If indeed this is true, then my other question is why are the AC Delcos so much cheaper? Obviously for safety reasons I don't want put a replacement caliper on that will diminish the car's braking.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
They are the same. The rears you will have to put the cross over tube on the other end but other than that they are complete bolt on. No idea why they are so much cheaper.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Probably because GM doesn't sell a upgraded brake kit for cadillacs but they do sell a retail version of the ZL1 brakes for the SS, so cha-ching! lol
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
Same, I changed yellows but here it is. Stock is a mustard yellow, I went with corvette velocity yellow.

Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Destructo09

That is glorious looking, unfortunately I get the feeling that pretty color won't last long on the track.

My stock SS brembos are pretty much a nice silver color now, lol.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 09-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Synner

They're a yellow with salt and pepper contrast from embedded brake dust now. Haven't seen any discoloration, I figured if yellow "yellows" from heat then whats the worst that could happen. I will be rebuilding with vented pistons this winter since I've cooked the seals pretty bad.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
They are the same. The rears you will have to put the cross over tube on the other end but other than that they are complete bolt on. No idea why they are so much cheaper.
Sweet! Thanks for confirming.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Same, I changed yellows but here it is. Stock is a mustard yellow, I went with corvette velocity yellow.

Definitely don't want the mustard color. I like the velocity yellow. Did you explore any other shades of yellow?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
They're a yellow with salt and pepper contrast from embedded brake dust now. Haven't seen any discoloration, I figured if yellow "yellows" from heat then whats the worst that could happen. I will be rebuilding with vented pistons this winter since I've cooked the seals pretty bad.
I'm a bit nervous to look at the seals on my stock brembos. I slapped some DTC70s and 60s on and hit VIR Full this past weekend. Brand new rotors too and they have crazing after 2 track days, which isn't a problem, but i'm hoping I didn't cook the seals in the calipers.

Are there better seals out there if I wind up having to rebuild my calipers? I'm sure it will happen eventually if it hasn't already, nothing seems to be leaking though currently.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 09-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Definitely don't want the mustard color. I like the velocity yellow. Did you explore any other shades of yellow?
One was muted, the other bright. I didn't see any additional need to explore.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
That is glorious looking, unfortunately I get the feeling that pretty color won't last long on the track.

My stock SS brembos are pretty much a nice silver color now, lol.
I don't track my car so I don't think I'll have an issue with the color changing from excessive brake heat. Now I am concerned that brake dust will make the yellow color always look dirty.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
I'm a bit nervous to look at the seals on my stock brembos. I slapped some DTC70s and 60s on and hit VIR Full this past weekend. Brand new rotors too and they have crazing after 2 track days, which isn't a problem, but i'm hoping I didn't cook the seals in the calipers.

Are there better seals out there if I wind up having to rebuild my calipers? I'm sure it will happen eventually if it hasn't already, nothing seems to be leaking though currently.
Racing brake had high temp dust seals but somehow they dissolve when they make contact with brake fluid. Dumbest thing I've ever heard of. If you track hard you will rebuild your brakes regularly, no way to avoid it. Make sure you have brake ducts, quality fluid, and the proper high quality pads. People overheat the wrong pads or fluid and like to blame the seals when their personal choices cooked the brakes.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #13
Synner

Quote:
I don't track my car so I don't think I'll have an issue with the color changing from excessive brake heat. Now I am concerned that brake dust will make the yellow color always look dirty.
If you dont track then ceramic pads and a clear coated caliper are all you need. Although darker colors will hide dust more. I've remelted the powdercoat on the track so embedded will happen.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
VHT yellow caliper paint and clearcoat

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote