Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #43
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Absolutely nothing, GM made the perfect and best looking Camaros ever, I love my 5th gen Camaro
Better radius rod bushing, give us all ZL-1 factory cradle bushings so we can just use inserts and save cash on full bush installs, no oil leaks, cheaper ZL-1 forged wheels purchase capability from the parts dept. , lighter rear exhaust canisters, a spear tire, better quality suspension not struts that looks like the cost GM $30 a pop to produce, an AFM optional button for those who don't want to tune out AFM but want it off. Bash me, see if I care. Work on your own car then you will see where I am coming from. After that though it still is a great platform one of the best I have ever owned, truly a tough car. And oh GM can you please train your techs to work on this car, I mean it isn't the B2 Spirit or the SR-71 Blackbird you know.

Last edited by L99CAMA2011; 05-19-2012 at 08:19 AM.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #44
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Cheap interior quality. I was just looking at a friend's new Ford Fusion which was $10K less than my car, and it is loaded with chrome, wood, less hard cheap plastic, etc. It seemed like a luxury car next to the Camaro's interior.
I read somewhere that the Camaro was originally intended to have a 3.5 liter pushrod V6. When the Camaro development team asked for the 304 horsepower 3.6 liter high-feature V6, they were told that they could have it if they figured out someplace else, in the car, to take the cost out. So they took it out of the interior. So every time you look at that interior and think it looks cheap, push on the throttle. That should make you feel better.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #45
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
I don't have a Camaro yet but considering all of the complaints about the AFM and the M6 Grind issue you would think GM would address it.
Taser honestly I have a 2012LS3 SS and I have never had that crappy 2nd gear grind. Just don't get the L99 or if you do get the AFM tuned out. These are still great cars, cheap in some ways but still great and a to die for chassis. Ferrari ownership status, so much freaking attention you will think you are driving a space ship from the year 2099. The shifter is a power shifter meaning you need to be tough to shift that thing just the way I like it . Real torque not that you car is fast but it doesn't feel like it kind of crap.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #46
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I read somewhere that the Camaro was originally intended to have a 3.5 liter pushrod V6. When the Camaro development team asked for the 304 horsepower 3.6 liter high-feature V6, they were told that they could have it if they figured out someplace else, in the car, to take the cost out. So they took it out of the interior. So every time you look at that interior and think it looks cheap, push on the throttle. That should make you feel better.
In that case I would have gotten the V8 instead of the 3.5 and been even more unhappy with the interior in an even higher priced car.

I heard that story too, and I am curious to know what the pre-cheapened interior would have looked like.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #47
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
In that case I would have gotten the V8 instead of the 3.5 and been even more unhappy with the interior in an even higher priced car.

I heard that story too, and I am curious to know what the pre-cheapened interior would have looked like.
My 2012 SS interior isn't that bad and in my eyes is above average when compared to other brands, ever sat inside an EVO, STI, even my friends first gen Infiniti G35 feels like crap with everything creaking compared to our cars.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #48
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Depends on what model you get. But with the higher price models you should get a little nicer interior than what we get.

I refuse to drive a 4 door, so all my cars (except one) were coupes. I don't think the new Camaro is much smaller than a 1969, yet I just saw a 1969 yesterday, and with similar dims, they managed to get much more trunk and rear seat room. Yes there are regulations they have to meet now, that they didn't then, but still, I think there could have been some better space planning.
oh, I do agree it should be nicer. in fact, just look a couple post up and you'll see I listed that as a complaint. I just don't think it's fair to compare it to a car of a different class. especially a midsize, which is now the most important and largest sales volume class of car for car manufactures. that importance, and competition is definitely pushing the quality of those vehicles up. if ford doesn't bring a really upscale interior to the table it won't be able to compete with such heavy weights as the Camry, accord, and altima.

and I'll ad, every time I drive my altima I realize just how lacking the camaro is. and it's not just the interior quality. it's all the missing things like the rear seat cup holders, rear seat reading lights, keyless entry, push button start and so on. a lot of those things I never really appreciated until I bought my camaro. I hate having to reach into my pocket for my key, then (at night) try to find the unlock button and unlock the doors. so much easier on my altima to just push the little button on the door.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #49
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavydoc View Post
If GM doesn't fix this to my satisfaction I will trade it in for a Ford Mustang or Dodge Challenger - two cars I have driven which does not have a transmission grind.
You need to do a google search on Mustang transmission problems. Ford is using a Chinese built Getrag which is much more troublesome than the Tremec in the Camaro. The Dodge Challenger uses the same Tremec TR6060 that the Camaro uses.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #50
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I would like a convenience option -- you know, where the driver's seat can be set to go all the way back when the engine turns off and then moves forward to a pre-set position when the engine turns on. Had that in my Trailblazer and it was great for us old farts that have trouble getting in and out of the car.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #51
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
oh, I do agree it should be nicer. in fact, just look a couple post up and you'll see I listed that as a complaint. I just don't think it's fair to compare it to a car of a different class. especially a midsize, which is now the most important and largest sales volume class of car for car manufactures. that importance, and competition is definitely pushing the quality of those vehicles up. if ford doesn't bring a really upscale interior to the table it won't be able to compete with such heavy weights as the Camry, accord, and altima.

and I'll ad, every time I drive my altima I realize just how lacking the camaro is. and it's not just the interior quality. it's all the missing things like the rear seat cup holders, rear seat reading lights, keyless entry, push button start and so on. a lot of those things I never really appreciated until I bought my camaro. I hate having to reach into my pocket for my key, then (at night) try to find the unlock button and unlock the doors. so much easier on my altima to just push the little button on the door.
Your Altima doesn't have the ultra rigid performance chassis the Camaro does and I bet it isn't as safe in a collision either. Altimas have had their share of issues also, I know a lady at a dealership who has tons of issues with her new Altima and no offense but who cares about push start after the engine is already started, with my SS the fun continues after initial start up when you push the thorttle, can't get that in your Altima now can you.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #52
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
Get rid of the "shark fin" on either the roof, or rear decklid on the convert, put the antenna under the trunk lid, on the inside and other cars have done this, may have to make the lid out of fiberglas if needing reception but would be cleaner and nicer look....my $.02
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #53
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Your Altima doesn't have the ultra rigid performance chassis the Camaro does and I bet it isn't as safe in a collision either. Altimas have had their share of issues also, I know a lady at a dealership who has tons of issues with her new Altima and no offense but who cares about push start after the engine is already started, with my SS the fun continues after initial start up when you push the thorttle, can't get that in your Altima now can you.

no, it's not built for performance, sort of. it will outperform other cars of it's class though. that' why I own it and a camaro. each performs a different role. and yes, it's safe. has the same crash rating, and the same compliment of airbags. the only things it's lacking are anti-lock brakes and TC, which weren't required in 2007. they are currently one of the more reliable vehicles on the road, and have actually made it to second best selling car behind only the Camry. that's why I said it's not really fair to compare the two classes.

and push button start is very nice. not having to mess with a key is one of those things you don't really appreciate until you don't have to do it. it also makes it impossible to lock the key in the car. when I'm driving that car the fob goes in the pocket, (or for my wife her purse) and never has to be touched again for any reason. not to open the doors, lock or unlock the doors, open the trunk, start the vehicle, or anything else. very convenient. especially if your hands are full. but as I said before, the keyless entry is a far better feature than the push button start. the push button start was a kind of gimmicky thing that back in 2007 was pretty rare on non luxury cars.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #54
usnavydoc

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3, 2012 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
most likely people who have abused their cars, or don't know how to drive a stick.
Maybe you don't have the issue, but you are wrong to assume people abuse their cars or don't drive stick. I won't justify your comment by stating my skill level but anyone who has been in this forum long enough knows it is an issue.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #55
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
The 2nd gear grind AY6's have. Overall notchiness of the trans in general.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #56
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post
Fix...nothing... But I'd really like to have Granada Gold as a paint option
Yes that would would look sweet!!!!!