Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
telecom78

Drives: 2017 2LT RS on 20's, manual
Question 'Engine Oil Low' with 25% Oil Life Remaining

I have a manual 2017 LT v6 (bought brand new from the dealer) and I'm getting an 'Engine Oil Low' indicator popping up randomly the last few days - even though it's showing 25% Oil Life Remaining.

I checked the dipstick and the oil was all the way at the very bottom of the dipstick... so I put in 1 Litre / 0.22 gallons of Pennzoil synthetic high mileage (I have 140,000 km / 86,992 mi on it) and now the oil level is normal. This is actually the second time this has happened now.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

I normally drive it easy in Touring mode - with only occasional brief periods of aggressive higher RPM shifting in Sport mode. Majority of the time I shift at no higher than 3,000 rpm.
telecom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:05 PM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Oil at bottom of dipstick... does that mean below the low level line? If so, then you need more than 1 qt.
Obviously you need to start monitoring oil consumption. If you were burning that much oil, I suspect you would notice the blue smoke and you might even get a check engine light from fouling the O2 sensor.
I suspect a leak. I would put some cardboard under the car overnight and see if you pick up any drips.
Also, check out some other threads here which show the dipstick and how much oil you need to add. I usually fill to the top line and then it's easy to see if I am losing oil because if it drops below that line then it's leaving the engine somehow.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:05 PM   #3
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
My GMC will drop a litre in about that % range using the computers oil change counter, it has about 145,000 km. I will say my catch can collects some of it
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:22 PM   #4
telecom78

Drives: 2017 2LT RS on 20's, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Oil at bottom of dipstick... does that mean below the low level line? If so, then you need more than 1 qt.
Obviously you need to start monitoring oil consumption. If you were burning that much oil, I suspect you would notice the blue smoke and you might even get a check engine light from fouling the O2 sensor.
I suspect a leak. I would put some cardboard under the car overnight and see if you pick up any drips.
Also, check out some other threads here which show the dipstick and how much oil you need to add. I usually fill to the top line and then it's easy to see if I am losing oil because if it drops below that line then it's leaving the engine somehow.

Yes... as in I could barely see ANY oil on the dipstick at all! After I added 1 litre (0.88 quarts) it was to the top line... so definitely enough. I then drove it for 10 mins, and parked it for 3 hours before checking the dipstick again while nice and cold, and the dipstick was still measuring oil up to the top line. I have also never had the 'check engine' light come on for an O2 sensor.

I have so far done all of my oil changes at the GM dealership. I am wondering if they are using subpar quality oil (i.e. non synthetic etc.) as a sneaky cost-cutting measure. Dealerships are constantly trying to find ways to scam people it seems.
telecom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:24 PM   #5
scott_0

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Metallic SS 1le
oil life and oil level are two totally separate things. your oil life could be 98% and still be 2qts low, you need to figure out why it's losing or consuming oil...
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:26 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom78 View Post
so I put in 1 Litre / 0.22 gallons
1 Liter = 0.264 US Gallons...

Quote:
I added 1 litre (0.88 quarts)
1 Liter = 1.056 US Quarts...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:40 PM   #7
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
See if you have oil in the air intake tube. If I go over half way on the high- low mark the oil go to my intake till level gets below half quart low. You should change oil at %25 imo because the lgx only pulls vacuum from the air intake tube.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:54 PM   #8
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
oil life and oil level are two totally separate things. your oil life could be 98% and still be 2qts low, you need to figure out why it's losing or consuming oil...
This. Oil level low has absolutely NOTHING to do with oil LIFE.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:43 AM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
This is actually the second time this has happened now.
Twice?

Check your oil bi-weekly. Change it at 50% on the OLM.

Quote:
Anyone know what could be causing this?
Absent any other detail, I would suspect fouled oil control rings. Couple ways to deal with it, but most/all start with pulling the plugs and soaking the cylinders in polyetheramine for a couple days, followed by an oil change, a tank of 93 and an Italian Tune-up (on an otherwise well-running car with no other issues).

If you're not going to change your own oil yourself, then at least check the dipstick BEFORE you drive off the shop lot. Trust, but verify. The other benefit of doing your own oil changes is sending samples to blackstone-labs for analysis. You can gain some insight into how your engine is running and oil condition vs. your driving habits. This information may or may not help guide you to improve your situation.

Finally, if you're not using top-tier gas, switch. Loyalty programs like Shell's Fuel Rewards (plus stacked discounts from Tmobile, etc.) often make the cost same or cheaper than the low-bid dime-store garbage. That and/or higher octane may help with cylinder carbon control.

Good luck
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:06 AM   #10
Classic Muscle

Drives: 22 SS 1LE
How many miles since your last oil change? Consuming a quart / liter over several thousand miles isn't abnormal for some engines, especially after getting up there in miles. Might need to check oil level every other fill up or as needed, and add some when you get about 1/2 way down on the dipstick markings.
Classic Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:28 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Below links to photo of our dipstick. if "barely touching bottom," I would fill with 1.5 qt to get it to the top line. Take a photo of the dipstick with the oil level. Then do the same every 2-3 days to track loss.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...00&postcount=1
My comment about the O2 sensor throwing a code meant that I doubt you are burning a lot of oil. The rate of loss you describe would result in blue smoke plus odor, which I think you would notice. That much oil being burned off can foul sensors and damage catalytic converters. I think you have an old school leak.

Last edited by ctrlz; 10-31-2023 at 01:49 PM.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:12 PM   #12
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
At 87,000 miles, your car could have developed any number of leaks and other issues. The computer caught the oil low situation - not you.

Have you looked under the hood? Under the car? Leaks are often easy to spot, unless the engine is covered in grime. You should probably go to the dealer about this.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:04 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
For reference, my VW Atlas Low Oil warning light came on at 6,500 miles, down 1 quart. Coincidentally the day before my scheduled oil change. When I had the first oil change done at 10,000 miles, it was down a quart also.

Back in the day, I had a C6 CTF that was going through a quart every 600 miles or so. They swapped the engine in that car to take the original apart for inspection. I was told many years ago that for warranty to be performed, you had to be burning oil (assumes no leaks) at a quart every 1,000 miles. Not sure if that's true anymore as I'm not sure the car/truck would pass an emissions test.

Last edited by Number 3; 10-31-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:27 PM   #14
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I think my 3.6L burned off about a quart of oil between changes, nothing more than that. How long are you going between changes?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, 3.6l, engine oil low, oil life remaining