Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #29
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Amsoil Signature Series and filter here. Oil sample came back in the normal range with a 7000 mile interval. Check out how Amsoil got into business.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #30
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I run Shell Rotella T6 5w40 in all my cars, all the time. Tried Royal Purple, but went back to Rotella.

Yes, it's technically a diesel oil, but it's got a good high amount of ZDDP in it, which is an excellent anti-wear additive.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #31
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I run Shell Rotella T6 5w40 in all my cars, all the time. Tried Royal Purple, but went back to Rotella.

Yes, it's technically a diesel oil, but it's got a good high amount of ZDDP in it, which is an excellent anti-wear additive.
Just my opinion, but based on those in the know... If you want a high amount of ZDDP, just use a high ZDDP oil. Not diesel. Amsoil, Brad Penn, Redline, Driven.... there are plenty of options.

Diesel oil is more than just high ZDDP. It is also very high in detergent. Diesels need high detergent for their long change intervals and specific deposits diesel fuels create.

Detergents are kind of the opposite of friction modifiers and anti wear additives. Detergents wash things away, those anti wear things try to stick and leave coatings... So they battle each other. Racing oils have no or very minimal detergents, but they are changed very often. The last thing you want in a race motor oil is a detergent. But it is very needed in a diesel oil that is going to be going monster miles before the next change.

So I only put diesel oil in diesel trucks, but that is only my opinion. My street cars run Amsoil Signature Series. In the race cars I use Brad Penn in one and LAT in the other.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #32
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Since my engine is stock, with no mods whatsoever, I use GM Dexos 1 (5w30), which is what was in it from the factory, and keep it changed every 3,000 miles.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #33
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
.... My street cars run Amsoil Signature Series. In the race cars I use Brad Penn in one and LAT in the other.
Have you recorded any actual oil temp readings with the LAT product? Curious if there was a decrease in oil temp.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #34
rjs2010SS

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1 BELLA*
Mobil 1... Have ran it in all my cars from camaros to trucks. I'm running a big cam and lots of boost in my ZL1 with no issues.
Roto Fab CAI, Roto Fab Big Gulp, Jokerz ported SC/Snout, LS7 TB ported, ATI Balancer, 28%(10") Lower Pulley, 2" Headers, No Cats,Forza 3way, E85 Flex Fuel sensor , ID850 injectors,, BTR Stage 3, Ron Davis HX, Mighty Mouse CC, APR Splitter, Aero Sports Concepts Splitter Kit, Showstoppers CarbonFiber wicker bill, MRR Wheels. 720rwhp/690tq on 93, 762rwhp E85.
2013 AGM ZL1 Bella*
2010 MGM Toyota Tacoma
2010 CGM SS (Traded)
1996 Black SS (Sold)
rjs2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #35
rvadim76

Drives: SOLD: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS
"Mobil 1" works perfect for me too
rvadim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #36
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
There are a few, really good, easily available full synth oils out there. I heard it said you can benefit by switching between some of these high quality oils each change. RP, Castrol, Mobile1, Amsoil ... etc. They are all different, and use different makeups of chemicals, detergents etc. So... by switching amoung several top brands, you get the benefits of all the oils and suffer less from any one particular drawback of a certain brand.

I have decided to utilize this oil philosophy because to me it sounds logical

Not sure how it would effect a modified CAM engine as the benefits of the plan are only realized after many oil changes over 10's of thousands of miles.

JMHO, YMMV.

This video is interesting:

Old 03-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #37
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Have you recorded any actual oil temp readings with the LAT product? Curious if there was a decrease in oil temp.
No, but I use it in a drag car which really doesn't put much heat in the oil because the run time is so low. I heat it between rounds with an element in the pan so it flows well on the cold start.

I use the LAT 20w50 synthetic racing oil in my drag car, which is a 540 BBC. Have also had really good luck with Brad Penn 20w50 in the drag car. Both of those oils do great for drag racing. LAT is one of the best when going with a really agressive cam and super stiff valve springs. Tons of anti-wear additives in the LAT. The only downside is the cost.

In my 1LE with a stock LS3, I'm using Amsoil Signature series. Seems to do great on the the street. When I start doing track days with that car, I'll probably put in something with more anti-wear. Maybe the Zrod or Dominator or Brad Penn.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #38
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS

This is a pretty neat video done by Mobil-1. Yes, it is an import (BMW) and yes it is an inline 6 motor, but its pretty neat to see the lengths Mobil-1 went through to test their oil on the 1,000,000 mile test.
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #39
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Mobil1 0w-40 and i'm cammed

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote