Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #407
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Machine time is reduce about 85%. Material cost drops like a rock because billet syle we through most of the material away, well recycle it. The down ssidde iss up front investment in the mold making.
Might have to be careful on strength in the end though Pete. Depending on the casting process the material could be more porous compared to a billet piece. I know you want to make sure these pieces are stronger than stock and cast parts could end up being weaker than the billet parts that you have done FEA on. I'm not a casting expert and I certainly don't know all of the casting methods available though so maybe there are casting techniques out there that minimize or eliminate porosity.

Just food for thought.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #408
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Might have to be careful on strength in the end though Pete. Depending on the casting process the material could be more porous compared to a billet piece. I know you want to make sure these pieces are stronger than stock and cast parts could end up being weaker than the billet parts that you have done FEA on. I'm not a casting expert and I certainly don't know all of the casting methods available though so maybe there are casting techniques out there that minimize or eliminate porosity.

Just food for thought.
That is a good thought, but since the OEM knuckles are cast, if Pete can determine exactly what materials/production processes they're using, it'll (in theory, to me) make the process easier. He can pretty directly compare the two for stress differences and compensate in his design as he sees fit.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #409
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Thinking...

Needs to be dialed in, but maybe we'll make a couple to play with...
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #410
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Pete, is that something for the camber plates?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #411
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Pete, is that something for the camber plates?

You could say that, but let me get a couple made and installed before I explain in detail.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #412
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You could say that, but let me get a couple made and installed before I explain in detail.
You gonna make badges? LoL

Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #413
JusticePete

Z/28 Light Susspension Upgrade
This thread is under construction and will be finished... SOON!

"So I just took her to the local xxxxxx that has a nice little paved oval (parking lot) out front and did some hairpin turns. O.....M.....G Holy Shit does it turn. Better now on cold tires than before on hot tires!!!!!" according to Bill. We'll hear more from Bill after his day at Watkins Glen.

Bill Hurd likes to run his 1LE at Watkins Glen International. For road course use his most valuable modification to date has been his StopTech brake upgrade. The next step is to improve his grip. We are approaching that in several ways.

First we are upgrading to Z/28 springs. The rates are much higher. They are very similar to the set we had been using for years on coilovers. Nick Grossman has retail kit #1. He and his wife Melanie drove their Z/28 light Camaro from Virginia to Indiana and loved the changes.

The dampers are not a perfect match to the coil, but they work quite well. Too bad the rear Z/28 coil is 3/4 of an inch too short to fit on a 1LE rear strut. That would stop most companies or shops, but not JPSS. At JPSS we don't let little things like that get in the way of a great upgrade. We use a little 'Black Magic' and make it work.

Up front we'll be installing Black Magic Caster Lock for a gain of 1 degree. We'll also install Billet Bushings in the radius rod to reduce dynamic caster changes. Up top we'll instal Knock Out Camber plates. We should really call them SAI plates. Adding Steering Axis Inclination improves straight line stability and the return to center after a turn. You cannot imagine how sweet it is to drive with increased caster and SAI.

We'll be swapping out the 1LE front 27mm sway bar and installing the almost 24mm SS front bar. We'll add our OE Quiet HD High Efficiency Endlinks to the new SS bar. This will allow the 1LE to rotate more. It isn't snap oversteer. We like to call it aggressive rotation. As they say in the movies, loose is fast.

On the alignment rack we'll be aggressive road course.

Front Camber -2.50
Front Toe OUT 0.50
Rear Camber -1.25
Rear Toe IN 0.12

Z/28 Light Parts List
1LE Struts
Z/28 Coils
JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings
JPSS Caster Locks

JPSS ships the kit fully assembled using your old mounts and hardware. We turn around the kits in 72 hours or less. We can also build a kit from scratch, but the new mounts, insulators, etc... are expensive.

Always a tough moment for a proud owner. Bill I'll need your keys...

No problem Bill. We can build yours just like this. We'll not just like this. Yours will be better. Every time we build one we learn something along the way.

Peter Gray, once we finish Bill's we'll update yours

Wheels off, here we go

LR strut out.

LR strut pocket, no more noise with the increased clearance.

This puppy coil is going away... soon.

Two out.

Struts burst.

LF out.

Cut here...

RF out

Coils and mounts are going to the dumpster.

Looks a little empty.

Nice brakes.

Z/28 Light coming....

SOON!

JPSS Knockout Camber Plates - 2 Degrees of adjustment, Bolt in never slip, never drift security, bet-of-the-best Bearings Made in Martinsville.

http://www.jpssonline.com/shop/jpss-...-camber-plates

This is a full race camber plate install so we have clearnced the strut tower.

We have the plates lined up and the holes drilled.

Z/28 coil, 1LE strut, JPSS Knockout Camber Plate - WINNING!

So the Z/28 Rear Coil is 3/4" shorter than the 1LE coil. How does JPSS make it fit?

Billet Bushings - IN. Caster slots ground and ready for Caster Locks

This will work.

Uh, no...

Z/28 coils + JPSS OE Quiet HD Endlinks + 1LE Struts = Z/28 Light

Tower Two is Done!

This will work.

We need to charge more...

Too

much

fabrication

work!

Z/28 Light Alignment Time.

Getting closer...

Not bad at all.

Tongue lock, no problem...

Forgot your keys. No problem.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #414
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I want to give a big thanks to Pete. Today when I got home my new Forgeline GA3R wheels were sitting on the porch. They are 19x11 in the front and 19x11.5 in the rear with 305/30 RE11 on all four corners. Matte Black centers and Transparent smoke lip. I just mounted them on the car and have not driven it yet. The car is lowered almost 1.5 inches on Pedders Super Car C/O's. In the pics the car was just put on the ground so I'm sure she will settle a little more once I drive her. Anyhow here's some pics of the new wheels with a comparison of the 305 and the old 285 GForce Rivals.

Sorry a couple are sideways. Not sure how to fix that.
Attached Images

mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #415
JusticePete

Sweeeeeeeeet!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #416
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
The rear 32mm bar is available to buy as a stand-alone product now, right? Not that I was creeping around on your site a little bit ago or anything...

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #417
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
The rear 32mm bar is available to buy as a stand-alone product now, right? Not that I was creeping around on your site a little bit ago or anything...
We expected them in stock a week ago. They are supposed to ship on Tuesday next week we would have the 3 to 5 days later.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #418
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Whats the status on the spindles, when will they be available to purchase and recieve
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #419
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
Whats the status on the spindles, when will they be available to purchase and recieve
There is no date for the release of the Knuckle Drop. Doing them billet style is too expensive. Our raw cost is over $5,000 per set. We are exploring other manufacturing options.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #420
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
those 19" wheels will be so awesome on the track!! steam rollers, very jealous
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote