Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
layjar12

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Thoughts on helmets

Thought I would ask mt 1LE brethren.

Any thoughts on this helmet. Do not want to break the bank but want to be protected as well.

http://shop.racequip.com/c/sa-auto-r...ace-flat-black

Are the size charts pretty accurate, says I should wear a large but I feel my head is bigger than average so not sure. Need this for Camaro Fest.
layjar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
'14-ELLIE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
In my opinion, it is difficult to know what you want when shopping online. I suggest finding a race shop near you to at least try a couple on. I am speaking from my experience with motorcycles, but the things I would make sure of are:

1. Fitment: Easily the most important. You don't want a helmet that is too loose. Not only will it not protect you as well, but it will shake all around while driving. The only way to know it will be a snug fit is to put one on. Remember also that helmets need to break in, so even if it almost feels too snug at first, it will become perfect through use.

2. Vision: Make sure you can see! Wearing a helmet obviously hinders your peripheral vision. Furthermore, a motorcycle naturally provides a greater 360 degree 'window' that a car cannot provide, making it all more important that you can see well from the helmet.

3. 'Bulkiness': One thing you don't have to worry about with a motorcycle is the headrest. If a helmet is too large in the back, you may not be able to keep you head upright.

A helmet is not a purchase to 'guess' on. Take your time, do your research and try some on before pulling the trigger.
'14-ELLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by '14-ELLIE View Post
In my opinion, it is difficult to know what you want when shopping online. I suggest finding a race shop near you to at least try a couple on. I am speaking from my experience with motorcycles, but the things I would make sure of are:

1. Fitment: Easily the most important. You don't want a helmet that is too loose. Not only will it not protect you as well, but it will shake all around while driving. The only way to know it will be a snug fit is to put one on. Remember also that helmets need to break in, so even if it almost feels too snug at first, it will become perfect through use.

2. Vision: Make sure you can see! Wearing a helmet obviously hinders your peripheral vision. Furthermore, a motorcycle naturally provides a greater 360 degree 'window' that a car cannot provide, making it all more important that you can see well from the helmet.

3. 'Bulkiness': One thing you don't have to worry about with a motorcycle is the headrest. If a helmet is too large in the back, you may not be able to keep you head upright.

A helmet is not a purchase to 'guess' on. Take your time, do your research and try some on before pulling the trigger.
Agree with what you have said, and along the bulkiness line, keep head room in mind. The bulkier helmet may pose head room issues depending on your physical size.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Keep in mind that the new 2015 rating helmets are coming out this fall. Any helmet you buy now will be a 2010 rating at best. It will cut down the length of time your helmet will meet requirements.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
layjar12

Im just not sure where to go to try one on? Im in Northwest Arkansas and not sure there is anyone that sells these helmets. Motorcycle helmet sure but not Auto racing helmets. I will do some digging and see what I can find.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
layjar12

Just found out that Safe Racer is just an hour from me so I will be making a trip up there tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
'14-ELLIE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by layjar12 View Post
Just found out that Safe Racer is just an hour from me so I will be making a trip up there tomorrow.
Awesome! Yes, finding a race shop might seem 'unrealistic' but probably because its not everyday we need one. haha. Glad you found one not too far. And chance has it that whoever works there will be well versed in helpful hints and opinions. Good luck and let us know what you choose!
'14-ELLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Consider replacement parts, over time new visor/hardware could be needed. The big name products have them. El Cheapo will not. I got a new helmet last year, amazed how much lighter a CF helmet is, not that much more expensive
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
For me when I am on a motorcycle I like a close face Helmet for some reason when I am in a car I like a open face helmet don't know why just do .
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
The wife and I are both running HJC CL-16's and are snell 2010 rated.
http://hjchelmets.com/hjca/cl16_cl16solid
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Forgot, maybe already mentioned, get a Snell Auto rated helmet, not a motorcycle helmet. Most events will not allow motorcycle helmets, they are rated for a single impact, auto are designed for much worse.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #12
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Auto helmets are not designed for "much worse". Auto helmets are designed for multiple impacts against stiffer elements. Auto helmets are designed with much much much stiffer shells and EPS liners. Depending on how serious of a crash you are involved in...this kind of helmet can do more harm than good.

The majority of motorcycle helmets are made the same way...except for companies such as 6D Helmets that are revolutionizing how helmets are made in the motorcycle industry. These helmets are made with softer shells that absorb energy along with multi density shock absorbing EPS liners. This kind of helmet is engineered to take the energy...not the brain.
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
layjar12

Ended up getting this one. RaceQuip Pro Model SA2010 Auto Racing Helmet, prob not the best one out there but i think it will be just fine.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #14
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
I know nothing about that brand of helmet...but they don't look like their made the best. They flash snell logos like snell is the model of helmet.

You most likely will never use the helmet anyway...but I would'r wear that. Again I think I kind of know more about the testing procedures and the snell test is a very high impact test that is done with multiple hits at one point on the helmet. I can see this might be beneficial if you were to slam a roll bar 5 times in the same spot
Of the helmet...but even then I think sbell helmets are way too stiff for our brains regardless of the type of impact.

Those that are curious check out 6d helmets and now Bell.
Unfortunately they have the tough jobs of reeducating people about how helmets work...but for those that take the time to relearn might find the info very educational...and valuable.
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote