Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
zjolsen

Drives: 17 ZL1 1LE Clone
Coming back to the dark side.. I think. Opinions please!

Hi All,

Previously had a 2014 SS 1LE Cam'd making 465 wheel with FBO and a bunch of suspension mods. I sold the car last year after tracking my buddies Cayman GTS and falling in love. I ended up purchasing a Porsche 997 S because I wanted the option to take the kiddos out every once in a while. The car is an auto and I think I want to stay that way. I love the steering input but the power is lacking along with the tech. I have my 997 up for sale on eBay right now..so hopefully it will be gone in a week or so.

So that brings me to coming back to a Camaro. The only thing is, I don't think the ZL1 1LE is for me this time around. The roads where I live suck and I want to enjoy this car on the street 90% of the time and 10% on track. So I am thinking about going with the ZL1 in the 10 speed. How is the 10 speed for the road course? Regret not going Manual? How is the ride in factory ZL1 mode vs the 1LE? Per reviews its significant. Last but not least, do the brakes need upgraded? I did 6 pistons in my 1LE and hated the decision due to loss in pedal feel. I would still mod the ZL1 with adding 1LE Aero, Headers, Pulley, Tune..but thats about it. I feel like I modded my 1LE a bit too much so this time around I want to keep it simple.

Cant wait to hear your real world opinions and hopefully get back into a Camaro. Upgrading to a 991 is definitely a option, but I feel like its still going to be underpowered.

Thanks!
-Zach
zjolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Personally automatic isn't an option I would consider unless there were health reasons involved. That being said if you are going to road course the car that would lean me towards manual especially if you didn't "have" to drive it in bumper to bumper traffic on a daily commute.
Now as far as the zl1 1le. I would either test drive one or find someone to give you a ride in one. The ride isn't bad at all. I was worried about the ride because of all the noise on here and in reviews so I took one for a test drive. Before I drove it I took my wife's 2015 bmw x5 diesel with the m-sport pkg in comfort mode and drove the same route over train tracks along the way and even turned around in a big wide open parking lot with pot holes in it. The zl1 1le was only marginally worse than the x5. My wife went along for the ride and I had been telling her that she wasn't going to like the ride because of the noise i heard on here and her comment was " this is the ride that everyone is complaining about?" She is used to riding in my 2015 z06 with the z07 pkg in sport or track or my 2017 gmc 2500 all terrain diesel with the z71 pkg so it was pleasant for her. Long story short drive one you may love the ride especially if the 2014 1le doesn't bother you.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The A10 is an awesome trans. The M6 is great too. But the A10 for me was a must have. In fact that is mainly what is keeping in the ZL1 vs switching over to the Z06. Every time I tell a Z06 guy that I'm considering upgrading they ask me if I have an A10 or M6. When I tell them it is the A10 they tell me not to switch, lol!! Either way you will not be disappointed. I am not sure how well the A10 is on a road course. But it is spectacular on the drag strip. If you're one of these road course fanatics then you'll probably want the M6. In fact it might behoove you to actually try out the ZL1 1LE before you write it off. Some people have found the suspension to be not soo bad. I drive my standard ZL1 exclusively in track mode for the suspension setting and honestly, I wouldn't mind if it was a bit stiffer. The ZL1 1LE is stiffer than the standard ZL1 in track mode so I don't think it is all that bad. So try out all options. The A10 isn't bad on the road course either. And if the roads are really that bad then the A10 might be a bit easier to live with. Like I said tho, I doubt you'll regret any decision.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Zack, the mag ride in these cars is quite amazing...I'm on the other end & my setting for in town driving is always set on tour for both suspension & Steering, with the exhaust in track. This also keeps it from jumping into performance mode if you blip the throttle too much.

For me the track setting in town is too tight & can run over a dime & feel it...the difference going to tour is outstanding. The various drive settings choices is one of my favorite options the car offers.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Hi,

I find the ZLE ride stiff, but not unbearable. But l do like a stiff suspension and the precision it offers, even in around town driving. Admittedly, l live in an area with great weather, decent roads, little to no rain (which l never drive in if it does rain).

I had a '15 Z/28, and the ZLE is almost identical in ride, although a little stiffer. Even so, l find the ZLE a bit more comfortable, probably the seats and higher end interior. With only about 700 miles so far, l am loving it more each day. I really love the super close ratio 6-speed, even in traffic. On the local mountain roads here, it is by far the best sports car I've ever driven. I can't wait to get it broken in to really enjoy all it offers.

I realize everyone's needs are different, based on a lot of different criteria, but l very strongly recommend the ZL11LE. A fantastic car with more factory power than most will ever need, plus a lot of creature comforts.

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
jolsen, I'm 56 and have zero issues with the suspension. My wife is 52 and drove the car for 50 minutes yesterday...loved it! Our roads suck to say the least.

I warned her about the stiffness prior to leaving, she called me a nancy-boy, to which I responded...I LIKE THE RIDE! Please keep in mind this area is very subjective, try like hell to take a ride in one.

EDIT: I forgot to add, we went out for supper with my in-laws. While my wife drove with our son in the passenger seat, I wanted to try the back seat just for shits & giggles , my God, why did they bother to put a seat back there ? I'm not tall (5'11''), all they did was laugh, I couldn't even lie down, that hump in the middle of the seat presses in to your back . Anyway, after dinner, my wife drove home with her parents.

Tony

Last edited by S.T.A.R.; 04-17-2018 at 07:11 AM.
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
I traded in a 14 1SS 1LE with some suspension upgrades, a drivers car. The ZL1 with MRC's technology's different. When I first started driving the ZL1 I felt a 1LE with DSSV might have been a better option. With the ZL1 you get 650hp LT4 making the car really fun. After driving a few months I'm liking the MRC a lot more. I drive around town in track mode which provides enough dampening. The A10's still an automatic transmission although it's efficient and the shifts are very quick when your on the gas. In traffic the A10 still drives like an automatic and find myself using the paddle shifters a lot. I haven't done any track time in either car. I like the A10, but I the MRC dampening could be better when not braking, accelerating or cornering.
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
RedHot18

Drives: 2018 ZL1
The A10 rocks on a road course! Just leave it in auto, matt the gas and boom performance shift mode kicks in , then just drive. I just did a weekend at Sebring, 91 degrees Sat and no temp issues, the new fluid they are putting in them works.
RedHot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #9
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP the built in Chevy M6 bog was enough to push me into the A10. So if you plan to drag race the ZL1 I would avoid the M6. This is my first hi-po car with an auto (except for a 1969 auto GTO I bought for $800). I do miss the manual a little, but really the A10 is a blast.

And the standard ZL1 is near the top of the track heap stock. And is comfortable as a long distance driver. Why mess with perfection? Just like a 9 second car, the ZL1 1LE is very cool, but for most of us it is fun to have, but not all that useful.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
Buzzmanb12

Drives: '17 ZL1
I daily drive my PLAIN (lol) ZL1...
M6 is a blast, brakes are BREMBO's from the factory and will make your nose bleed if you stand on them and the magnetic ride is really hard to beat, just select what mode you feel is appropriate and roll.
Every day is a blast, literally, I friggin love this car!
Buzzmanb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #11
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Had a 997 GT3 and now have the A10 ZL1. The ZL1 A10 is amazingly intuitive driving on an autoX course. Always in the right gear. No upsetting the car with abrupt shifts. Really like the mag ride as well. Plenty firm when competing, but great on the road. As we all know, the ZL1 gives up something to the ZL1 1LE on the track but is that worth your 90% time mentioned. Versus the Porsche, it is just different. Not better or worse. The Porsche has less weight, but also less umpth. Better build quality, but fewer gadgets (like starting the ZL1 with your iphone or the Performance Data Recorder).

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
A10!

Brother the A10 is amazing! Ive had 2 M6 camaros in my past and completely understand having total control....however..I am having so much fun cruising around in Sport and when i want to downshift i just punch the throttle real fast(without actually accelerating) and it goes into competitive driving mode....downshifting and holding gear as i break or turn. It is so much fun! Im loving this transmission! You have got to try it at least.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #13
SDMARO4482

Drives: 2017 NFG ZL1 M6
Check out some Youtube videos of the A10. When you hear that thing shifting the way it does it hard to look away from. I chose the M6 just because I love the input and feedback when banging through the gears on a heavily modified car.

If you don't plan on any wild upgrades, get the A10 and enjoy the effortless excitement.

My .02
SDMARO4482 is offline   Reply With Quote