Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 02-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #43
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
i was cross shopping the two and i just bought an 18 2ss. drove one of the new 10 speed GT's. it was ok. i honestly thought the 8 speed in the camaro shifted better between the two test drives. also getting magneride and the 12 inch cluster in the gt makes it ridiculously expensive. the camaro felt like it was in another class when it came to handling. i did like the bit of extra cabin room in the mustang though and it was certainly a nice car. i was torn picking between them but in the end the handling of the camaro and what i feel is a nicer interior (feels more refined) sold me on the camaro.

magneride might as well be a $6500 option on the mustang since it requires the performance package. to get the options i wanted required a $50k+ loaded mustang. since it was the same price as the loaded camaro thats the route i went.

if i could have had a mustang gt with those options for under $45k id be in a mustang right now.
That is the 1 thing Ford is the worst at. I know all the companies bundle options together but Ford IMO is one of the worst.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #44
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I cross shopped both, but a few things eventually turned me off from the Mustang.

The first was the exterior. I'm probably in the minority when I say the 6th gen Camaro looked so much better. I loved the slightly raised vette-like edges on the hood, and the overall aggressive wide stance of the car. It looked great from any angle. I see people staring at it in the parking lot and while I'm driving all too often. The mustang did look great in all the pics and videos of it, but when I finally saw one in person, I was disappointed. Bland is the best way to describe it. It's a safe look that has worked for Ford and their fans, but I wanted something that stood out and to me, it just didn't.

The second is the tried and true LT1 motor. There's not much more to be said that hasn't been already. The Camaro has it down low where it's more fun. And it's built like a brick.

Transmission quality. After reading the forums extensively, the general consensus is the TR-6060 in the Camaro is the more reliable manual tranny. It may not shift as smoothly, but it's more trustworthy in higher power applications. I'm not sure why Ford didn't use it in the GT.

Regarding the interior, the instrument cluster and simplistic layout of the center console on the Camaro appealed to me more. Sure, there's an abundance of hard plastic, but I easily overlooked that as it seemed tough enough. If I wanted to be caressed, I'd have bought a Lexus. And maybe a keurig so as not to fall asleep. Also, Chevrolet's infotainment system was light years ahead in terms of responsiveness. And after reading several reviews and lurking around the forums, it's also a lot less buggy. Then there's the visibility question which has been beaten to death. I had no issues with it. Yes the Mustang was a little better, but not enough to matter.

As for pricing and options. The Mustang when optioned out equally, was too expensive. The Camaro came out on top as the better value. What I got with the 1SS, would have cost more with the base Mustang. It's as simple as that.

I'd be the first to admit I was slightly biased towards the Camaro from the very beginning, so take the above critique from that perspective.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #45
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
magneride might as well be a $6500 option on the mustang since it requires the performance package.
I believe the level 2 performance package (which coincidentally is...$6500) does include MagneRide as standard.

I was planning on a basic manual 1SS with the only option being active exhaust; over the past few months, I've had a change of mind and heart...

After spending some seat time in several 2018 GTs, I'm thinking of putting down an order for a Hyper Blue/Kalahari 2SS manual with active exhaust (never really paid close attention to a 2SS, but I was rather surprised by the amount of standard equipment it comes with once I did...).

On the flip side, I'm also considering ordering a Lightning Blue/Midnight Blue GT Premium manual with the level 1 PP, 401A interior package (loved the LCD cluster after seeing it in action in person...), active exhaust and spoiler delete.

The Camaro is the less expensive choice by a bit over $2k with regards to invoice price; however, Chevy dealers in my area seem to be rather noncommittal at best to flat-out looking at me like I'm crazy at worst for even suggesting pricing out an SS at invoice. On the other hand, several Ford dealers in my area seem more than willing to accommodate me price-wise for a GT...

Also considered several out-of-state dealers for both cars after seeing some rather eye-opening prices which turned out to be too good to be true (pulling standard dealer BS moves like stacking various discounts that are subject to eligibility, throwing in every single rebate/incentive even if they're not able to be stacked, not including the vehicle's destination fee in the sale price...)

In either event, I'd be more than happy with a new SS or GT in my garage, a hell of a lot more than I am with my damn Challenger...

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)

Last edited by antimatr; 02-20-2018 at 10:45 PM.
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #46
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Lightning Blue on the Mustang is amazing. I love that color
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #47
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Camaro incentives right now suck (near me). Since I don't have a Mustang (Conquest Bonus) or lease a GM vehicle there is really nothing. I am seeing $1-2.5K max off a $42-50K Camaro.

Meanwhile the Ford dealer is offering me $4-5K off with no negotiation. This is on a brand new redesigned 18. If Chevy would offer at least $5K off the Camaro's it would be nice
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #48
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
Camaro incentives right now suck (near me). Since I don't have a Mustang (Conquest Bonus) or lease a GM vehicle there is really nothing. I am seeing $1-2.5K max off a $42-50K Camaro.

Meanwhile the Ford dealer is offering me $4-5K off with no negotiation. This is on a brand new redesigned 18. If Chevy would offer at least $5K off the Camaro's it would be nice
Get the Stang! 10 speed, digital gauge cluster..
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #49
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
Get the Stang! 10 speed, digital gauge cluster..
I have to have a manual
Old 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #50
torqueaddict

Quote:
If Chevy would offer at least $5K off the Camaro's it would be nice
I got the 5k incentive from a volume dealer. Others have as well.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #51
End User

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE, 2012 GLI M6
I was tempted to wait for PP2 (Mustang) but that is 6 months away and, to be honest, I don't like the Mustangs redesign (the 350R looks soooooo good it makes the refresh look horrid). The recent Motor Trend review did the Mustang no favours.

I was never a fan of the Camaro but that changed when the 5th gen Z/28 appeared. When reviews showed that the 2017 1LE surpassed the performance of the Z/28 I was sold. I should get my factory ordered 2SS 1LE sometime in March.
End User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #52
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I got the 5k incentive from a volume dealer. Others have as well.
When did you buy though? There are no big incentives right now unless you own a Mustang (Conquest bonus). I found a leftover 2017 I like. It's been sitting on the dealer lot for 420+ days. They won't budge much off invoice which is crazy. I told them I could just buy a 2018 for that price.

Ford dealers are definitely more willing to deal. I just don't get it, Camaro sales are way down you would think you could find leftover 2017's for $7-9k off MSRP.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #53
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
When did you buy though? There are no big incentives right now unless you own a Mustang (Conquest bonus). I found a leftover 2017 I like. It's been sitting on the dealer lot for 420+ days. They won't budge much off invoice which is crazy. I told them I could just buy a 2018 for that price.

Ford dealers are definitely more willing to deal. I just don't get it, Camaro sales are way down you would think you could find leftover 2017's for $7-9k off MSRP.
That is surprising. Last year this time they were offering $3-5k off and 0% 72 month financing on leftover 16s.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #54
torqueaddict

Quote:

It's most likely your area. I bought my car about a month ago from this volume dealer:

http://www.bomninchevrolet.com

Beware that they use bait and switch tactics, but you still come out on top even after the BS fees. Plus they have a good inventory.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #55
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
It's most likely your area. I bought my car about a month ago from this volume dealer:

http://www.bomninchevrolet.com

Beware that they use bait and switch tactics, but you still come out on top even after the BS fees. Plus they have a good inventory.
I'm searching a large area of New England (CT, Mass, parts of NY, RI, etc).

Incentives in Feb are not very good. I might wait till March to see if they improve if I don't buy something else or just keep my C7.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #56
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:

Get a Costco card. It's $3500 off I believe.