Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #71
m666etal

Drives: Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very good.

Now...is this something that anyone can go and ask to have done, or do I have to experience the issue and have a stored code?

Its just a programming update?
Yes it is a software upgrade/reinstall. I showed the service rep a picture of the Service Brake Assist message on my dash and they checked on their GM portal and he said that there was bulletin from GM for this issue and the resolution was to upgrade/reinstall the program for this module.
m666etal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #72
steviewonder

Drives: wrx
I am curious, I glanced through the thread to try and get an better idea of the sample of cars that are having this issue - are you all on an SS model with the 4 pot brembo fronts? Is anyone experiencing this issue on a non-SS model, or with on an SS with 6 pot brembo fronts?
steviewonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #73
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by m666etal View Post
Yes it is a software upgrade/reinstall. I showed the service rep a picture of the Service Brake Assist message on my dash and they checked on their GM portal and he said that there was bulletin from GM for this issue and the resolution was to upgrade/reinstall the program for this module.
If I haven't yet had the issue, can I still request a programming update? It seems to me that I should be able to request this, but I'm fairly certain if I bring it in and request this update, and then tell them its not happened to me they are just going to send me on my way and tell me to come back when it happens.

The problem is, this is dangerous. I'd rather just prevent it before it happens.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #74
m666etal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
If I haven't yet had the issue, can I still request a programming update? It seems to me that I should be able to request this, but I'm fairly certain if I bring it in and request this update, and then tell them its not happened to me they are just going to send me on my way and tell me to come back when it happens.

The problem is, this is dangerous. I'd rather just prevent it before it happens.
You could give it a shot. When this happened to me I spoke to a service rep and he asked me come in when it happens again. Then I was anyway going for an oil change and showed the pic of this message and they looked it up in the GM bulletin.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #75
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m666etal View Post
You could give it a shot. When this happened to me I spoke to a service rep and he asked me come in when it happens again. Then I was anyway going for an oil change and showed the pic of this message and they looked it up in the GM bulletin.
What?!? Did you explain that you were talking about brakes here, and there is a possibility that if/when the brakes failed, there is a chance that neither you nor the car will be around anymore?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #76
m666etal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
What?!? Did you explain that you were talking about brakes here, and there is a possibility that if/when the brakes failed, there is a chance that neither you nor the car will be around anymore?
Haha well yes i told him that but he's like the system won't find any codes if the issue cannot be reproduced. So then I did take a picture of the issue when it popped up and showed it to them during my oil change and explained in detail what happened. They then searched for that error and found a bulletin form GM for the exact issue and did a program upgrade. So far so good.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #77
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
I have cursed and praised what the internet generation has provided. Customers bringing to light safety issues in an organized fashion is one of the single biggest positive bi-products of Al Gores Interweb. We, the people can hold the corporate giant accountable. If they are not, We the people can bring it to it's knees.

Just in time for the tax payer to bail them out.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #78
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Its not this - mine did it in my neighborhood on a straight road with no excessive force on the system. And the car only has 6000 miles on it and its never been tracked.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #79
jwestm

Drives: Black 2016 2SS
Bad Breaks

I had this exact same thing happen to me on car the 4500 miles at the time.

I took mine to Community Chevrolet in Burbank and they claimed there was no code and no problem.

I talked to Chevy and the rep said that if the dealr couldn't find the problem then then isn't any thing wrong.

Feels a lot like the ignition key cover up

Has any one reported this to the NHTSA????
jwestm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #80
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I just bought a used '16 2SS and driving it home yesterday had the same thing happen. Everything was fine till I got off the interstate and started some stop-go traffic. I noticed the brakes would grab and vibrate as I came to a complete stop and then got the warning on the display. I cleared the message and got home OK. After restarting the car a while later to run errands all was ok. Calling the dealer today to bring it in.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #81
Erin2017RS

Drives: 2017 RS
i had the same issue with the brakes failing to stop me. Please forgive me for not being technical but there is a service bulletin out where they need to replace the oil pump and the vacuum line. Apparently oil was being aerated into my brake system which was making my brakes to fail.

At first it was a one off but it continued to happen and get worse. I had no codes thrown until the day i took it to the dealer when i almost failed to stop again. My pedal was going to the floor and my car was coming to a slow rolling stop.
Erin2017RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #82
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin2017RS View Post
i had the same issue with the brakes failing to stop me. Please forgive me for not being technical but there is a service bulletin out where they need to replace the oil pump and the vacuum line. Apparently oil was being aerated into my brake system which was making my brakes to fail.

At first it was a one off but it continued to happen and get worse. I had no codes thrown until the day i took it to the dealer when i almost failed to stop again. My pedal was going to the floor and my car was coming to a slow rolling stop.
Scary! But in your case, the root cause was not the braking system itself. Did you get the same 'brake assist' warning message?
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #83
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I just bought a used '16 2SS and driving it home yesterday had the same thing happen. Everything was fine till I got off the interstate and started some stop-go traffic. I noticed the brakes would grab and vibrate as I came to a complete stop and then got the warning on the display. I cleared the message and got home OK. After restarting the car a while later to run errands all was ok. Calling the dealer today to bring it in.
Let us know how this goes. Hope your dealer is aware of the TSB and just do the reprogram.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #84
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCamaro6 View Post
I'm curious if this ever got resolved for the OP. I've had the same problem a few times and drove the vehicle to the dealership with "brake assist" and limited brakes due to the "cannot duplicate" situation. Scanned the car and found low vacuum is what triggered the the vehicle into this "brake assist" mode. It has been there for weeks and stating it will be another 60-90 days before GM gets a new program figured out to correct the problem.

I know the route I need to go with this car after multiple rear diffs and this problem.
When you posted this, you were in the 2016 correct? Or is this happening with your 2018? Thanks.