Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #57
Lethalphoenix

Drives: 2013 SS// 2016 SS
Not for nothing, but like angrybits, I too had a Gt500. Not as much work or mods as he did, but after driving the new Camaro SS...... I would say get the SS! I would have to dump at least 25k to get it to ride and respond like the new SS. IMHO the GT500 just isn't worth it. Sure if you want to keep it stock and put it in the garage under a car over on blocks and pull it out after 30years or so.... You might, and I say Might, have something worth the investment! If you want to drive and enjoy a car.... SS hands down! again just my opinion!
Lethalphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #58
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
If that car has the SVT performance package and Nav- yes. You will not regret it. Amazing cars. You will not win many races....traction is nonexistent!lol But they are awesome and a complete beast on the highway.
Yes it has that package. If it rode and handled like the ZL1 it would be a no-brainer. It's just a pain in the ass to rope in all that HP if the tires aren't super warmed up. It's fun to have so much power that the back end of the car will break loose on a third gear roll on, and it's a drag to have so much power that the back end of the car will break loose on a third gear roll on lol.

I wish the traction controller did a better job of CONTROLLING TRACTION

It's a very cool car, there's just some things I take issue with. Man if this thing rode as well as that ZL1 - I would have cut this guy a check in a second.
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #59
Factorypilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalphoenix View Post
Not for nothing, but like angrybits, I too had a Gt500. Not as much work or mods as he did, but after driving the new Camaro SS...... I would say get the SS! I would have to dump at least 25k to get it to ride and respond like the new SS. IMHO the GT500 just isn't worth it. Sure if you want to keep it stock and put it in the garage under a car over on blocks and pull it out after 30years or so.... You might, and I say Might, have something worth the investment! If you want to drive and enjoy a car.... SS hands down! again just my opinion!
Nah man, your opinion is a good opinion! What I'm struggling with is that the '16 SS will be just like "every other car" out there in a manner of time. I like something unique.

At the same time, the new SS wins in pretty much every category over the GT500 except for the exclusivity and phenomenal power that the GT500 has. There's a price to pay for that...

1. My insurance would be double that of the Camaro.
2. The GT500 rides like a large go-cart and you feel every lump and bump in the road.
3. The GT500 has somewhat of a dated look.

As far as the Camaro is concerned, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Do I really want to pay 47k (OTD) for a car that I know damn well is going to depreciate 10K or more in the first year?"

I don't know. Waiting may really be the only option. I'd feel a lot better about paying 40K OTD for the Camaro than I would 47K, but we can't have everything. I'm also aware that as MY17 rolls around, all of the sudden the 2016's that everyone was chomping at the bit to get NOW are going to go into fire-sale mode at the lots.

I'm seriously considering waiting for the new ZL1, since I love the Gen6 interior and the power of the ZL1 (while not like the GT500) is fine with me, may well be worth the wait.

You know how it is -- I'm waiting on my Gen6 Camaro and I have far too much time on my hands to think about all of this
Old 01-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #60
Factorypilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
These are good points. I can confirm this first hand.
My GT500 had $#!T for a traction control system and the stock 285s in the rear were terrible. I bumped it up to 315s (cost me 10k to get them to fit) and it was better but not enough. The car really needs a widebody kit and 335s at least.

As for winning races. Actually I disagree. The Shelby will win most races since most races are either highway pulls, stoplight drag races on the street, or maybe even some 1/4 mile at the strip. In those cases, the Shelby is king or at least has plenty of potential to be king for cheap. Just don't take it to the track (I did) you'll be embarrassed when you have to give the "pass by" gesture to a Toyota FRS... :(

Here's my shelby at Sonoma Raceway (Thunderhill)
Where's the LIKE button? That's tight man.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #61
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorypilot View Post
Where's the LIKE button? That's tight man.
Haha thanks

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #62
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have been having the same thoughts as you have 13-14 GT500 or new Camaro? I finally decided (after a year) To wait for the Track Pack Camaro 1LE or whatever they are designating it. I think that will give you the "Special" look , performance and not break the bank....Hopefully!
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #63
Lethalphoenix

Drives: 2013 SS// 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorypilot View Post
Nah man, your opinion is a good opinion! What I'm struggling with is that the '16 SS will be just like "every other car" out there in a manner of time. I like something unique.

At the same time, the new SS wins in pretty much every category over the GT500 except for the exclusivity and phenomenal power that the GT500 has. There's a price to pay for that...

1. My insurance would be double that of the Camaro.
2. The GT500 rides like a large go-cart and you feel every lump and bump in the road.
3. The GT500 has somewhat of a dated look.

As far as the Camaro is concerned, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Do I really want to pay 47k (OTD) for a car that I know damn well is going to depreciate 10K or more in the first year?"

I don't know. Waiting may really be the only option. I'd feel a lot better about paying 40K OTD for the Camaro than I would 47K, but we can't have everything. I'm also aware that as MY17 rolls around, all of the sudden the 2016's that everyone was chomping at the bit to get NOW are going to go into fire-sale mode at the lots.

I'm seriously considering waiting for the new ZL1, since I love the Gen6 interior and the power of the ZL1 (while not like the GT500) is fine with me, may well be worth the wait.

You know how it is -- I'm waiting on my Gen6 Camaro and I have far too much time on my hands to think about all of this
What ever you choose, they are all bitchen cars!! Enjoy!
Lethalphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote