Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
I need help/advise on rear suspension upgrades

Ok like the title says I need help/advise on rear suspension upgrades.

I DD my 15 1LE. I also track the car.

I am trying to eliminate the dreaded rear wheel hop and tighten up the rear suspension.

I have read quite a few threads on this and am confused. I am not looking to change the springs or sway bars at this point.

I have read about rear trailing arms, toe links, bushings, and roto joints.

Also I am not sure what the difference is between polyurethane and urethane. Is one better than the other?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Try searching the suspension or track sections. You'll see a ton of suggestions, and most will point you in the direction of Pete at JPSS. The guru of 5th Gen suspension....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
All depends how much you want to spend;
JPSS spec alignment
JPSS rear sway bar
Z28 RUCA bushings
Solid rear cradle bushings
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Another place to ask is Detroit Speed Engineering, I think the owner used to work with Mark Stielow.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/11/...-invitational/

Detroit Speed
https://www.detroitspeed.com/Project...maro-pg-1.html

Not saying one is better than the other as well I like both JPSS and Detroit Speed.
Pretty much just information. I believe Mark was one of the engineers that help develop the 1LE.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
cmack

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I can't say enough good things about JusticePete and the Z/28 light package I got.
http://www.jpssonline.com/#/jpss-z28-light/
Mine is 2011 SS, lots of understeer on autocross track and wheel hop. I can say the car is direct now, the steering is tight and precise with his radius bushings. No wheel hop, it just feels planted.
I also like most of my upgraded parts are factory GM. I would get intouch with JusticePete.
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
You say "track" but then talk about wheel hop. What type of track are we talking about here? I've never seen anyone get wheel hop on a road coarse.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
You say "track" but then talk about wheel hop. What type of track are we talking about here? I've never seen anyone get wheel hop on a road coarse.
OK I understand your confusion. Yes I track the car. Typically I don't have wheel hop there. I have also auto crossed the car. Some wheel hop there. But I also street drive the car and get on it hard at times, wheel hop there.

I also view wheel hop as evidence of weakness in the rear suspension. If it can wheel hop it can also do other things that aren't desired.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
Ok like the title says I need help/advise on rear suspension upgrades.

I DD my 15 1LE. I also track the car.

I am trying to eliminate the dreaded rear wheel hop and tighten up the rear suspension.

I have read quite a few threads on this and am confused. I am not looking to change the springs or sway bars at this point.

I have read about rear trailing arms, toe links, bushings, and roto joints.

Also I am not sure what the difference is between polyurethane and urethane. Is one better than the other?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig
Craig, the 3 Items responsible for wheel hop or bad handling manners are Cradle Bushings, Trailing Arms & Toe Rods.

The Cradle is held in with four bolts - there are soft rubber bushings around those bolts. The Soft Bushings allow the rear end to move around. Under load this movement becomes an oscillation which becomes your Wheel Hop. Wheel Hop is especially hard on parts and where you get the most breakage.

The Trailing Arms & Toe Rods are made of Stamped Steel and there is flex to them. Combining this Flex with the Oscillation of the Bushings is very bad on parts, lap times on a course or 60 foot times at a Strip.

Here are some Videos

https://youtu.be/RZ4EFK0BQZQ

https://youtu.be/3kTxQ8mMD6w
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
I went with the UMI Performance Toe Rods and Trailing Arms on our 1LE. I posted about them here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501157
Pricing is on par with some others and made here in the USA. Also easy to set alignment parameters without using the factory eccentrics anymore. Yes, they do make noise but the car is not a DD, it's a weekend driver and track toy only.
They do offer ones with bushings that are not adjustable also or with Roto-joints which offer some cushion so the amount of noise is diminished.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/jdp-mo...s-zl1-jdps1008

BMR has an anti wheel hop package if you prefer to buy it all at once.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
+1 Matty Ice and CMack.

OP:
JPSS is hard to beat. Check his threads and "The Book of 5th Gen"

Check my sig for suspension mods. I have ZERO wheel hop, even from a dig, rides great and pulls over a G in the corners (even with the crap Pirellis on the front). You can search for "PostNup" and "alignment specs"

HTH
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
khedge

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I got solid subframe bushings, toe arms, and trailing arms. I also have JPSS rear sway bar and the rear end even more planted now. I love my 1le
khedge is offline   Reply With Quote